P1000 Is a Stinger absolutely necesary in a dual battery setup?

G

GaryZ

Sep 22, 2018
FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi. New member here. I've searched through all the posts that I could find related to adding a second battery and I still have a question or two and I'm hoping some of the experts can help.

I'm gathering supplies and nearing the install of my second battery and my winch.

My winch is a Terra 4500SR and I'll be wiring it pretty much to manufactures spec with one exception. I'm replacing the 100 amp thermal breaker they include in the box with a Bussman 100 Amp marine breaker that has a shut off feature so that I can kill power to the winch if I so choose.

I'm questioning the need for the 80 amp stinger in my keep it simple application.

I purchased a true isolator, a 150 amp buss bar for grounds, Blue sea fused block and a 100 amp Bussman marine breaker. I will run a dedicated 4 gauge ground wire to ground the 2nd battery side. My thought is that I really don't care about the key on/ key off feature.

On my hunt truck, I have a master breaker that shuts all power to the truck, I've been using it for years and I've never forgot to shut it off. I'm thinking I could basically do the same on the Pioneer. This eliminates any chance of the back feed issues that I've read about but don't fully understand.

If I wire the 100 amp shut off between the blue sea and the battery, then everything is powered when the breaker is on and everything is dead when I shut it off. I realize that some guys spruce up the Stinger with a DPDT switch to allow key off utilization of accessories but like I said, I'm really just trying to keep things simple.

Does the Stinger provide a benefit that I am missing?

Thanks.

Reactions: sharp
BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
the true isolator and circuit breaker will achieve everything the Stinger would accomplish. since your true isolator will separate the batteries while charging and you only want to turn off power manually there is no reason for it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
My thought is that I really don't care about the key on/ key off feature.
No, it's not required. Depending on your needs and relay system you can eliminate 1/2 the stuff people install.
The Tru sits between the two batteries and passes charge. It has nothing to do with the stinger. Now that it's done you are working on accessories.

If you handle the accessory setup just like you would have without the second battery then you can KISS it. (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

The stinger comes in to play when you want KEY OFF accessory use or want to use it as the isolator.
There are several ways to handle this with same result.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Obviously it is not necessary in order to work, since I have dual batteries without a stinger ...... don't even know what a stinger is ..... lol.
It’s a relay that you can connect between the auxiliary battery and your fuse block/ accessories, allowing you to turn power off to your accessories by using a master switch.

Reactions: BigOL3
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
IMG 20181027 150155

You can see the stinger on the left side of the picture.

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A relay is just a control mechanism. The stinger is just a high current, continuous duty relay that has a control coil that can be utilized in other circuitry to provide on/off capability. Your manual breaker, as long as it is appropriatly sized, performs the same function of on/off control. People sometimes confuse the function of the stinger (relay) with the True Isolator (battery isolation/charge control). Stinger is just a brand name for a high current electromechanical relay.

FredD

Reactions: JTW
G

GaryZ

Sep 22, 2018
FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A relay is just a control mechanism. The stinger is just a high current, continuous duty relay that has a control coil that can be utilized in other circuitry to provide on/off capability. Your manual breaker, as long as it is appropriatly sized, performs the same function of on/off control. People sometimes confuse the function of the stinger (relay) with the True Isolator (battery isolation/charge control). Stinger is just a brand name for a high current electromechanical relay.

FredD
Thanks for your reply.

I wired the system as I described and I'm very happy. I can always add in the stinger if I want to utilize key on key off.

Reactions: RedFred1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!