Issues with Low Gear

K

kellen20

Apr 1, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m at 74 miles in my 2019 1000-5, performed the 20 hr service last week. This morning I put it into low to go up a hill and half way up it just stopped. Now low gear doesn’t work at all, it grinds and lunges when I put it in low. High works great so does reverse. Fearing the worst here but anyone have ideas?

have a video but it won’t let me post.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m at 74 miles in my 2019 1000-5, performed the 20 hr service last week. This morning I put it into low to go up a hill and half way up it just stopped. Now low gear doesn’t work at all, it grinds and lunges when I put it in low. High works great so does reverse. Fearing the worst here but anyone have ideas?

Is the shift lever centered up and down in the shift gate when in low? If not you'll need to adjust the cable located under your battery. If its adjusted correctly, try removing the cable from the lever on the sub transmission under the front seat and testing it by shifting into low manually. If that doesnt works, your gear dogs may be worn out.

Are you still under warranty? If so take it to the dealer before it's up.

Mine are worn out too and will need low gear replaced at some point soon.

Upload your video to youtube, then copy and paste the link here.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
J

JTW

Rutrow... yeah, it’s happened before. Your low is done. Get it to the dealer. @Ragnar406 had this issue

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Rutrow... yeah, it’s happened before. Your low is done. Get it to the dealer. @Ragnar406 had this issue
Sounds dumb, but always make sure you whack the lever when shifting into Low. I always shift mine to L, then whack the lever a couple times to make sure it's in before I press the gas. @JTW may have a slightly more homosexual or erotic take on this so stay tuned...

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing and JTW
J

JTW

Sounds dumb, but always make sure you whack the lever when shifting into Low. I always shift mine to L, then whack the lever a couple times to make sure it's in before I press the gas. @JTW may have a slightly more homosexual or erotic take on this so stay tuned...
Nope.. I smack my knob every chance I get!

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing and Adam490
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yea while you low gear is probably toast a way to tell if you cable is adjusted properly is when the shiftier is in Neutral position (see below) you should have some play top and bottom...

Now mine was correct when my low gear went out.. I have the extended warranty and it was covered so if you just purchased are still have the 1 year warranty it should be covered.

Reactions: JTW and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!