Jeep shifter boot mod for the Talon

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Great video Terry, as usual! I went ahead and ordered the kit last week, and installed it yesterday, before seeing your video. It is a pretty simple installation. The adhesive on the piece behind the passenger seat is the real deal! Like you, I think this is going to help a lot. There is still an opening on the passenger side that I would like to close up. I ordered a piece of the hard shield to fabricate that piece from. DEI calls this Form A Barrier. It is not inexpensive. I found the best delivered price through WalMart, oddly enough. I ordered a 12" x 24" piece for $42.61. There will be plenty left over, but I figured this would be handy stuff to have on hand.

I am also thinking that it would be nice to have a a way to open up a passage to allow some of the heat to flow through to the tunnel for cold weather riding. I will be looking for something suitable for that. I actually already have something perfect, but it is for the 1955 Dodge COE that I am restoring. It is a 4" diameter, cable operated flapper valve. I also have one of the EMP underhood storage boxes coming, so i will have to see how that fits also.

When I get a chance to do a ride test, I will post my thoughts.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I finally got to ride in the passenger seat of my Talon (and I don’t recommend it :oops:) and was immediately surprised at the difference in heat between the two, the passenger’s seat being much warmer than the driver’s. 🥵 🥵 🥵

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I did the boot on mine, big difference in the amount of air/heat coming through when the fan kicks on, thanks for the idea!

Reactions: Squeegee and TerryH
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
So what boot did you use? Link?

I'm sorry, but I don't remember. I ordered it off Amazon, but when they de-platformed Parler, I closed my account.

Reactions: TerryH

2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Sep 28, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

New Member​

Sep 28, 2021100MontanaOwnership

1. 1000-5
I found a simple and good looking solution for the cold air coming in through the shifter levers in my Pioneer 1000-5but this would apply to any Pioneer. You can get shifter lever boots on ebay for $6-8 each. I two, trimmed the 4WD lever boot to 5.5" since it comes long and left the trans shifter boot original length. Then loosen the 5mm bolt at each shifter, remove the rubber shifter knob (pull and wiggle or shoot compressed air under to loosen it) slip the boot over the lever and with two std screw drivers gently pry and tuck the boot in the crack btw the dash and inner plastic. Replace the knob (fill w the knob hole w water and shake out for a good short term lubricant to get the knob on). Before you start tucking, be sure the boot has enough slack to allow full range of shifting. Looks great and works great. I have NO IDEA why Honda's don't come with these.... it is such a simple, effective and attractive solution.

Honda Pioneer shifter boots

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!