Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
This looks like it would work in warm climates, but if you want the heat in the winter there's a lot simpler and affordable way to do it. 10 inch fan, hang it anyway you want to aimed at the headers towards the rear, put it on a switch and you have a cooler seat in the summer and gain the heat back in the winter.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
This looks like it would work in warm climates, but if you want the heat in the winter there's a lot simpler and affordable way to do it. 10 inch fan, hang it anyway you want to aimed at the headers towards the rear, put it on a switch and you have a cooler seat in the summer and gain the heat back in the winter.
Some say that's enough for colder climates, some say no way. YMMV.

You live in Arkansas ... have you ever experienced a northern winter? 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Lady01 and J80
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You live in Arkansas ... have you ever experienced a northern winter?
Yes, over 200 people perished in sub zero temperatures last February. No electricity, no heat, no water. Many elderly, disabled, ill, immuno compromised and poor people were trapped and doomed.

Those in power claim the providers of energy will not have this situation occur, again.

Well see.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

You live in Arkansas ... have you ever experienced a northern winter? 😆
We live in NW Arkansas, we can have cold spells, last winter we had 22 below for a couple nights and just cold after that. Back in the early 80's we had a 22 inch frost line, normal frost line is 12 inches, mid - teens for two weeks at night, high's in the mid + teens, with over a foot of snow and ice on the ground all winter. Then came the thaw, mud every where, you didn't get off the pavement. We had a two foot snow 13 years ago, a devastating ice storm in 2011 that left us without power for 6 days and some for a lot longer than that, a month The Farmers Almanac is calling for a cold, wet January here, snow I hope, no ice! So to answer your question I think we have just not every winter. I do like how warm it feels when the Sun comes out in the winter in the North country though, here it just feels cold. HA! We had a club ride at Mulberry, first night it got down to 13 and we went on a night ride, most of the folks south of Ft Smith froze including some Texicans. We are 30 minutes from Missouri and Oklahoma state lines, we live in the mountains of NW Arkansas. You can keep your Northern Winters! HA!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yes, over 200 people perished in sub zero temperatures last February. No electricity, no heat, no water. Many elderly, disabled, ill, immuno compromised and poor people were trapped and doomed.

Those in power claim the providers of energy will not have this situation occur, again.

Well see.
This is exactly why I'm a big proponent and user of a whole house generator. We have a well and septic, too, so I don't rely on city water. A sad event indeed, but irrelevant to my question directed at @Smitty335 about heating his SXS with a fan blowing over the headers.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
We live in NW Arkansas, we can have cold spells, last winter we had 22 below for a couple nights and just cold after that. Back in the early 80's we had a 22 inch frost line, normal frost line is 12 inches, mid - teens for two weeks at night, high's in the mid + teens, with over a foot of snow and ice on the ground all winter. Then came the thaw, mud every where, you didn't get off the pavement. We had a two foot snow 13 years ago, a devastating ice storm in 2011 that left us without power for 6 days and some for a lot longer than that, a month The Farmers Almanac is calling for a cold, wet January here, snow I hope, no ice! So to answer your question I think we have just not every winter. I do like how warm it feels when the Sun comes out in the winter in the North country though, here it just feels cold. HA! We had a club ride at Mulberry, first night it got down to 13 and we went on a night ride, most of the folks south of Ft Smith froze including some Texicans. We are 30 minutes from Missouri and Oklahoma state lines, we live in the mountains of NW Arkansas. You can keep your Northern Winters! HA!
Did you ride your SXS and rely on the fan blowing over the headers for heat? Did it adequately heat the bike for a long period of time? Again, most people told me don't bother with that unless you live towards the south. That's why I invested ~$700 and ~20+ hours installing one. While we're not the wilds of Alaska or northern Canada, winter doesn't play around here in Michigan.

I lived about 15 miles north of Branson, MO for a spell.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is exactly why I'm a big proponent and user of a whole house generator. We have a well and septic, too, so I don't rely on city water. A sad event indeed, but irrelevant to my question directed at @Smitty335 about heating his SXS with a fan blowing over the headers.
HA! No it's about keeping the cab cool in the Summer and turning off the fan in the Winter and retaining the heat from the headers, when it gets really cold I put our enclosure on and it stays pretty nice, not down to shorts and tee shirt attire . When it get's down to that -22 degree stuff, I'm to busy feeding the wood stoves (2) from the piles of wood that a show dog can't jump over! HA!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
HA! No it's about keeping the cab cool in the Summer and turning off the fan in the Winter and retaining the heat from the headers, when it gets really cold I put our enclosure on and it stays pretty nice, not down to shorts and tee shirt attire . When it get's down to that -22 degree stuff, I'm to busy feeding the wood stoves (2) from the piles of wood that a show dog can't jump over! HA!
Well, single digit to (well) sub zero temps are normal here for much of the winter, so that's why the reverse fan deal (only) is a no-go for those looking for acceptable heat levels north of the Mason Dixon line ... :)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, single digit to (well) sub zero temps are normal here for much of the winter, so that's why the reverse fan deal (only) is a no-go for those looking for acceptable heat levels north of the Mason Dixon line ... :)
And you don't think we get that some of the Winter, most Winter nights we get down to 15-20 degrees and our Sun isn't as warm as yours when it's out. It's not a reverse fan that I run, it's a fan or no fan deal, just let the heat come up through the seat area with the fan off. If I lived up North I would have a auxiliary heater and radiator shroud where it gets that cold. What I find comical is, here's an example I drove out to Missoula Montana to help move my son and DIL back to Arkansas in January several years ago, big storm system moving in, I got every one up early, wanted to get over the ice covered pass before it got busy, then the blizzard set in, white out . I just laughed at the lighted up signs along the HWY, telling us not to use cruse control, I really thought this was common since that didn't need a sign .Guess this was for the Northern boys. This ole NW Arkansas boy drove right through it without an issue pulling a trailer, some of us, what you consider Southern boys know about winter snow driving.

advertisement
Squeegee

Squeegee

JTGB in training
Lifetime Member
Jun 5, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Put some damn coveralls and gloves on and go ride !!

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Man up sissy boy and no I’m not talking about a another man riding in yo lap. I could see you taking it that way 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I've lived in Texas (Houston and Dallas) for 8 years, SW Missouri for a couple and Michigan for the other 45. There is zero comparison between "southern" and "northern" winters. I also am not attempting to classify drivers by the region they live in. I simply asked if the reverse fan setup that ppl use for cooling would provide constant, adequate heat for owners who live in the historically much colder climates. Sounds like that's a big 'no'.

No cruise control goes for any kind of slippery surface (e.g., rain), not just snow and ice. Can't speak for Montana nor why thier civil engineers think thier drivers are idiots.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Have seen their product before but never an install video. Feel even better about the shield I made for that machine. Same price point, one piece, covers more area and is easier to install. It also gave me an idea for the back seats. Thanks for posting Doc.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!