P1000 DEI Heat shield problem 2023 PK1-5 Forest

DawgU

DawgU

Lifetime Member
Dec 20, 2022
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First, apparently if one is good, two's not necessarily better :). Decided I would try to install both the DEI and the Quick Shield. The DEI is not made for a '23. Have multiple push pins where there are no holes in the shield. Also sometimes HELL trying to get push pin in even when there is a hole. Those problems exist without any presence of the Quick Shield.

Suggestions? I'm just trying going without the push pins where there's not a hole.

DawgU

DawgU

Lifetime Member
Dec 20, 2022
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could install rivnuts where the push pins are. Then you can have as thick of coverage as you desire. Just hold it all together with bolts.
Well I had ordered a rivnut tool yesterday for my skid plate install, so that sounds awesome! Never used one before. Will it work with flat plastic to flat plastic? Thank you!!!

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I had ordered a rivnut tool yesterday for my skid plate install, so that sounds awesome! Never used one before. Will it work with flat plastic to flat plastic? Thank you!!!
This is the style I would use when installing into plastic.

I have used this style on many areas of my pioneer where I want anchors into my plastic.

I am not sure if it would work on floppy rubber. Although my brain says if you used a washer on the backside you could probably attach them to rubber like a ring attaches to a tarp.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used rivnuts under my seat for my under seat fan bracket. The names can sometimes be confusing.
I used rivnuts for my skid plate.
I used shank nuts for all my plastic areas.

These are typically rivnuts
I use these in metal. They slightly swell and make a solid contact.

41Uo0dnz hL AC Rivet nut tool rivnut 1457364438 28d29906

These are typically called jack nuts.
I use these in plastic. You can see how the back swells larger which typically makes better spread contact on plastic.

41kd7FbOLnL H 265 2 LR

These are typically called pre bulbed shank nuts. I personally prefer these over the jack nuts because the walls are typically thicker and it feels like a more solid nut placed into plastic. They are sometimes harder to find and more expensive. They spread the same way the jack nuts do.
71 nnk6UmbS AC UF10001000 QL80

I use both of these style of tools depending on the location and ability I can reach the area with.

Images 58078 W3

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Post #154 is my layers of heat defense experience.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used rivnuts under my seat for my under seat fan bracket. The names can sometimes be confusing.
I used rivnuts for my skid plate.
I used shank nuts for all my plastic areas.

These are typically rivnuts
I use these in metal. They slightly swell and make a solid contact.

View attachment 396826 View attachment 396827

These are typically called jack nuts.
I use these in plastic. You can see how the back swells larger which typically makes better spread contact on plastic.

View attachment 396828 View attachment 396829

These are typically called pre bulbed shank nuts. I personally prefer these over the jack nuts because the walls are typically thicker and it feels like a more solid nut placed into plastic. They are sometimes harder to find and more expensive. They spread the same way the jack nuts do.
View attachment 396830

I use both of these style of tools depending on the location and ability I can reach the area with.

View attachment 396831 View attachment 396832

You sound like a Yamaha owner with all that knowledge about nuts 🙄🤣🦩

#NTC
#NOMO

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First, apparently if one is good, two's not necessarily better :). Decided I would try to install both the DEI and the Quick Shield. The DEI is not made for a '23. Have multiple push pins where there are no holes in the shield. Also sometimes HELL trying to get push pin in even when there is a hole. Those problems exist without any presence of the Quick Shield.

Suggestions? I'm just trying going without the push pins where there's not a hole.
With the new cover honda has under the seat I would think you could use a thicker heat shield. I haven't made one myself but I did look into it. Here's some links: Thermo Tec 14100: Cool-It Mat 24" x 48" - JEGS

You could install them with rivots, spray glue, velco, etc. You want the shinny side down toward the engine compartment.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
You sound like a Yamaha owner with all that knowledge about the females🙄🤣🦩
But I’m a vegetarian myself. I don’t eat meat but I sure like the bone

#NTC
#very Homo I am
It figures

• Haha
Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got both shields installed today. The rivnuts were awesome! Thank you Robobrainiac!!! Took it for a good test drive today afterwards. Difference is amazing!
I am glad it worked out. My wife and I feel the shields and fan do a very good job at reducing heat. I think a full rubber sheet should have been factory provided for sure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!