Just got 2016 700-4, newbie needs advice

obxguy2000

obxguy2000

Aug 24, 2015
Sanford North Carolina
Hey guys! I just purchased my 1st SxS! Of course it was a Honda 700-4. To be honest I had done no research on these things, but having dirt bikes and quads most of my life, I knew I wanted a Honda. It was tuff deciding between the -2 or -4. Went with the -4 because I am planning to trail ride with the wife and kids. Also will be using it to maintain a 4 acre lawn. I am definitely not into blazing down trails 60mph and land is relatively flat here in central NC. Also price seemed reasonable when compared to others.

So this brings me to where I need you guys help. What are your recommendations for my 1st "must have" accessory? Is it roof, winch, windshield, bigger wheels, radio, trailer, etc.? Considering the amount of allowance (amount my wife lets me spend without much complaining) I can spend, I will be getting 1 big accessory per month. So 2nd and 3rd recommendations are also welcomed!

Reactions: bobbyhill
LaVell

LaVell

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Opp, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys! I just purchased my 1st SxS! Of course it was a Honda 700-4. To be honest I had done no research on these things, but having dirt bikes and quads most of my life, I knew I wanted a Honda. It was tuff deciding between the -2 or -4. Went with the -4 because I am planning to trail ride with the wife and kids. Also will be using it to maintain a 4 acre lawn. I am definitely not into blazing down trails 60mph and land is relatively flat here in central NC. Also price seemed reasonable when compared to others.

So this brings me to where I need you guys help. What are your recommendations for my 1st "must have" accessory? Is it roof, winch, windshield, bigger wheels, radio, trailer, etc.? Considering the amount of allowance (amount my wife lets me spend without much complaining) I can spend, I will be getting 1 big accessory per month. So 2nd and 3rd recommendations are also welcomed!
I am waiting on the p-1000, and as for myself my first will be a top, then hardcoat windshield and after that a winch.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@obxguy2000 Welcome to the Club! Congrats on your new purchase .

Must haves:

#1 Roof & Windshield - unless it never rains or get over 80 degrees where you ride.
#2 Winch - any SxS is just too heavy to push if you get stuck or flipped by your self or even with 1 or 2 buddies.
#3 full UHMW skids & A-Arm protectors if you ride in rocky areas.
#4 8 ply radial tires 27" to 28" tall for a P700, ask 8 people which one you will get 6 different answers

Everything else as you want or can afford to add, if you need a trailer to even get it to a place to ride bump it to #1

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it roof, winch, windshield, bigger (tires), radio,....etc.?

Yes....

Haha welcome to the club.
If you need any help and can't find the answer feel free to ask, the members are very helpful.

I sold my 700-4 to get the 1000-5, I spent so much time on the 700 my wife told me to get it all at once and get it over with this time! HAHA YES MA'AM!!!

My top 4 in order:
Winch
EPS
Lift/Tires (depending on what size tires you might need a lift to fit them)
Roof

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @obxguy2000 !! Tires is my advice!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
First accessory??? Jeez hard to choose just one. For me it was a winch (mine came with a roof already), then exhaust, tires, shocks, let the never ending list begin!

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Winch comes first. Roof and windshield are for comfort and nice to have but they want get you unstuck and home.. 1st winch, 2nd tires, 3rd roof, 4th windshield, but it you ride in rough places i would put skid plates and A arm guards after tires. Well i just reread and saw trailer on your list if you don't have a trailer. I say that would be first unless you have trails close by besides the 4 acres that will get old fast.

Last edited:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We bought our 2015 700-4 on February 1st. It didn't even take half of a block to determine the first thing we needed was WINDSHIELD. So back to the dealer the next morning. A couple of weeks later we decided we better invest in the hard roof and thirdly we put a cheapy winch on it. If you just purchased your unit, I would say you can forgo the first and second items for the time being. If you plan on using it late into the fall, winter or early spring, though, I would put these on a early Christmas list. We have loved the heck out of our unit and have over 1375 miles in less then 7 months to prove it. Enjoy.

Reactions: p500fan and JACKAL
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I got lucky and found a used honda windshield on ebay for $150. That deal is the only reason i got one. I have the soft top it's a lot less and works great. Winter riding without a windshield is rough. You have time but not to much.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the fourm.
I live in South Texas, the hard top and tilting windshield were ordered when we picked up the 700-4 back in June. If it's really dusty then you will probably want a soft rear cover also. I just ordered a set of wheels and tires and the molded bed liner. The liner will help keep the small stuff out of the rear sets.My wife drives it alot around our 12 acre place, so the next big item will be power assist steering.
Enjoy, Mike

advertisement
Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
If you get a windshield make sure to grab the rear panel. Your passengers will thank you. Congrats and welcome!

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Welcome aboard ! Too hard to choose. Just get one of everything !!!!!!!

Reactions: bobbyhill
obxguy2000

obxguy2000

Aug 24, 2015
Sanford North Carolina
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Going to get a trailer 1st. Then roof followed by a winch. Then a windshield. I am sure the list will just continue to grow. I am hoping that a 100+ acre farm will fall in somewhere,lol.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Going to get a trailer 1st. Then roof followed by a winch. Then a windshield. I am sure the list will just continue to grow. I am hoping that a 100+ acre farm will fall in somewhere,lol.
When you do get the winch make sure at minimum you get one rated for 4000 lbs. the ol "twice the weight of the vehicle" rule doesn't seem to apply here!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
If someone's passing them out count me in as well! Don't be afraid to add a couple zeros to that number either!

Reactions: obxguy2000

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!