P1000 Just got my new pioneer 1000

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
Just got my new 1000 this past week. First SxS. Making a set of rock rails. An rear bumper. Ordered mirrors. Hard roof. An Honda brush guard. I'm looking for a winch. An I'm wondering is the Honda one worth all the extra $ cuz there saying you need 4 things to us it. Please let me no what u think. Anyone from MA or NH area that wants to ride these things? I race motocross so this is totally new to me an got it because of the new baby an wife. Fun time for all of us.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 12588 View attachment 12587 View attachment 12586 Just got my new 1000 this past week. First SxS. Making a set of rock rails. An rear bumper. Ordered mirrors. Hard roof. An Honda brush guard. I'm looking for a winch. An I'm wondering is the Honda one worth all the extra $ cuz there saying you need 4 things to us it. Please let me no what u think. Anyone from MA or NH area that wants to ride these things? I race motocross so this is totally new to me an got it because of the new baby an wife. Fun time for all of us.
Honda will try to sell you thiers. Pretty much any atv winch will do. They will come with straight forward wiring and a switch. You just need a vehicle specific mount kit. Either Honda which is expensive or many of the aftermarket units available will do the trick. Here's one of the many that are cheap. Then pick out your winch

Last edited:
M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
Honda will try to sell you thiers. Pretty much any atv winch will do. They will come with straight forward wiring and a switch. You just need a vehicle specific mount kit. Either Honda which is expensive or many of the aftermarket units available will do the trick. Here's one of the many that are cheap. Then pick out your winch

View attachment 12590
I just see that the Honda mounting kit comes with a bunch of wiring an what not. I just want a nice winch that looks good on there an not hacked on there

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just see that the Honda mounting kit comes with a bunch of wiring an what not. I just want a nice winch that looks good on there an not hacked on there
If you get the mount and a good winch they go right on no hacking. We went that mount and a warn provantage4500. It's nice. Goes in well. The unit on far left is all that's under the hood.

Image Image Image

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you do the dual battery the right way? I plan on doing like a3-4 led light bars. An radio.
First get a battery the same age and size and is made for motor sports because they can take a beating. Then get an isolator I went with the True brand isolator about $100 bucks or so. Connect the positive cable from the main battery to the isolator then from the isolator to the accessory battery Then connect the negative cable terminals directly with the same cable. There is also a small ground wire on the isolator I just grounded it to the battery. Connect lights stereo winch etc to the accessory battery only. There will be a blue LED light that comes on to show it is working correctly. When the motor is on it will charge both batteries when it is off they will separate to protect the main battery. So may say you don't need the dual set up because everything Is low voltage but if you forget to turn something off like CB or radio they will drain a battery in a few days while it's not being ridden. Note if you get the True brand isolator the LED light has a slight delay to come on and an even longer delay before it goes off. There is also a dual battery forum on here somewhere

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Image Image
How do you do the dual battery the right way? I plan on doing like a3-4 led light bars. An radio.
I used this unit. I do agree with above statement if you only are planning on using what you're talking about (depending on size of LEDs bars)and don't plan on running anything while sxs is sitting then you'll be great. Absolutely get voltage gauge and I suggest getting a dummy light I'll send pic of that as well you can google it's like 20$ from England and works incredibly well even people who don't know what voltage to shut things down at understand light color from this its adjustable and is only two wires you simply connect to main battery full time. I used this isolator in between the batteries because it never connects them even with key I wanted total isolation and this unit will charge the Honda battery first then accessory battery. If you do decide to go twin I did write up months ago on which battery fits and is most likely one of the best for the application. The stock stator(alternator) runs around 55 amp or 700watts so keep that in mind when choosing accessories.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Madore128 Congrats on the new Pioneer. Should make for some great times with the family. Couple of good build threads go into details on batteries, wiring, etc. You should read up on @joeymt33 build or mine in the link below. Lots of helpful people here and info already posted.

advertisement
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Madore128 That's awesome! I pick up the same rig later today, and we have our fist child on the way this fall and hope to be doing the same thing you are! I went with the Honda winch just for the reason that I wanted a plug and play setup and I think some of the components with the Warn are of better quality than some of the others. I've been waiting on this thing to show up since January and Honda kept pushing back the ship date but today is the day!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang bud everybody okay? Rolling is my biggest concern. Told wife I need to just roll ours on purpose and get it out of the way lmao. We came very close to rolling ours off a steep dropoff at the group ride. That was terrifying and took a few miles for me to calm down. It wouldn't have been so bad if wife wasn't with me. Oh and welcome to the forum! They are amazing machines.

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Madore128 That's awesome! I pick up the same rig later today, and we have our fist child on the way this fall and hope to be doing the same thing you are! I went with the Honda winch just for the reason that I wanted a plug and play setup and I think some of the components with the Warn are of better quality than some of the others. I've been waiting on this thing to show up since January and Honda kept pushing back the ship date but today is the day![/QUOTE

Congrats as well enjoy that 1000 it's nice! We have the warn provantage 4500 on ours it's been on 4 different sxs's had it for years been stuck pulled cars out and skid logs with it all the time it's never hiccuped can't go wrong.

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
@Madore128 That's awesome! I pick up the same rig later today, and we have our fist child on the way this fall and hope to be doing the same thing you are! I went with the Honda winch just for the reason that I wanted a plug and play setup and I think some of the components with the Warn are of better quality than some of the others. I've been waiting on this thing to show up since January and Honda kept pushing back the ship date but today is the day!
I did the super winch 4500 off amazon for 201$ an mount for 50$. An it's awesome set up. Super clean set up.

Reactions: Tot
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
I bought the soft rear panel and it helps cut down on dust a bunch!! I may upgrade to the hard panel next year. Can't wait to see it with the 30s! I should be ordering the HL forward a arms in a week or 2. And 30x8x14 Interco Interforce tires a couple weeks after that.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just ordered the full hard back window set up from Honda. Because the dust an dirt blowing in sucks. In a month or so ill have a lift an 30s.

Hi Madore128, Is your machine sucking dust in the cab while just riding on dusty roads alone or from following others? Or both?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't really rode in dusty conditions yet but running through the pastures mine will suck all kinda weeds and insects into the cab lol. I just have windshield and hard top.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!