BOX1

P1000 Kanati Mongrel Tires 28x10-14 on stock rims?

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I'm running 28-9-14 and 28-10-14 Mongrels on mine

IMG 3010 IMG 3008 IMG 3006 IMG 3011

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Really like them. I've ran them on my Kubotas for years and we sell a ton of them at the store. 10 ply radials. I've never punctured one and have customers that go through a set a year with great results.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Really like them. I've ran them on my Kubotas for years and we sell a ton of them at the store. 10 ply radials. I've never punctured one and have customers that go through a set a year will great results.
I almost bought a set for the Talon but they wouldn't be available for months and the stockers were done so I had to go elsewhere. But now I'm wondering how the 10 plies ride. Do you get many comments about a harsh ride with them? I'm running the BFG K02's and they're about as rough as I want to put up with. It's my understanding that OHV tires will ride better than LT tires and wonder where 10 plies fit into that thinking.

Back story - my second set were Chicane RX (30") but only got 5700 miles on 6 tires (2 fronts, 4 rears). The K02's are doing much better than that but now I'm whining like a little girl about the ride. Go figure. :p I'm currently thinking about the BFG KM3 OHV specific tire, hoping they'll ride better than the K02. Any feedback would be welcome. 😎

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I'm running Elka Stage 5 suspension and only drove it sparingly before installing the suspension. I have mongrels on several Kubota Sidekicks that I own and feel they're much more stable at speed, clean themselves really well and have an abundance of traction over the stock tires that come on the Kubotas. The stock tire that comes on the Kubota is 6 ply and I'm sure stability comes from increased sidewall strength. The tires that were on my pioneer were removed shortly after purchase and I've been mostly running the Pioneer on the road. It corners well, and I can get the rear to step out (confident drift) in turf mode with a little throttle input on damp roads. I'm very pleased and it rides very nice. I do have a slight vibration above 60 and probably need to have them balanced. I always run sealant (not slime) in my tires when installing on alloys, so running tire beads is a no go

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I almost bought a set for the Talon but they wouldn't be available for months and the stockers were done so I had to go elsewhere. But now I'm wondering how the 10 plies ride. Do you get many comments about a harsh ride with them? I'm running the BFG K02's and they're about as rough as I want to put up with. It's my understanding that OHV tires will ride better than LT tires and wonder where 10 plies fit into that thinking.

Back story - my second set were Chicane RX (30") but only got 5700 miles on 6 tires (2 fronts, 4 rears). The K02's are doing much better than that but now I'm whining like a little girl about the ride. Go figure. :p I'm currently thinking about the BFG KM3 OHV specific tire, hoping they'll ride better than the K02. Any feedback would be welcome. 😎
IMO - the talon needs all the help it can get in the comfort department, a 10 ply tire is way overkill IMO unless u have the need for puncture resistance...

2 things come to mind, one is weight, adding rotational mass is never good, especially if not needed and then comfort, a 10 ply tire will ride stiffer than a 6\8 obviously.

jeez, I would think if you got 5K miles out of a set of tires - that would be outstanding

I do see a lot of positive posts about the terabytes and megabytes for wear and traction, not getting into the dreaded which tire is best conversation - it seems most tires will get ya where you are going....lol

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
IMO - the talon needs all the help it can get in the comfort department, a 10 ply tire is way overkill IMO unless u have the need for puncture resistance...

2 things come to mind, one is weight, adding rotational mass is never good, especially if not needed and then comfort, a 10 ply tire will ride stiffer than a 6\8 obviously.

jeez, I would think if you got 5K miles out of a set of tires - that would be outstanding

I do see a lot of positive posts about the terabytes and megabytes for wear and traction, not getting into the dreaded which tire is best conversation - it seems most tires will get ya where you are going....lol
Good point on the 10 plies being way overkill, regardless of how long they last. 👍 I'd be on Terrabites right now if it weren't for their reputation of not playing well with beadlocks (inconsistent bead thickness not sealing on 'some' individual tires. I'm not willing to take that chance.). Hondabob has reported 10,000 + on his Terrabites running non beadlock wheels. There are occasional reports of weak sidewalls too but I'm not aggressive enough to worry about that aspect, (usually 😊).

I was looking for 'the' tire but there are so many out there that I want to try, that even if I find a great tire, I'm likely to try a different one 'next time' just out of curiosity.
x.gif

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Within reason, who cares how many miles you get from a set of tires installed on a side by side? I prefer to ride when I go to ride. Having a 10 ply tire hopefully affords a bit of insurance over a tire being 6 or 8 ply considering they're much more puncture resistant taking into account the construction of the carcass of the tire. I usually carry an air compressor and plugs but have never used them. Watch the vids on YouTube, seems to be a lot of sidewall punctures when offloading in anything other than go to church trails.

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can 100% run 28/10-14 tires on a stock factory wheels. Anyone who tells you differently is uninformed or a liar. After market wheels are very difficult to match factory widths and offsets. All companies offsets are not exactly the same. My personal experience with after market wheel set up is that the STI HD9 14 “ wheels 6+1 fronts and 5+2 rears match OEM factory offsets perfectly.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You can 100% run 28/10-14 tires on a stock factory wheels. Anyone who tells you differently is uninformed or a liar. After market wheels are very difficult to match factory widths and offsets. All companies offsets are not exactly the same. My personal experience with after market wheel set up is that the STI HD9 14 “ wheels 6+1 fronts and 5+2 rears match OEM factory offsets perfectly.
Strong words there cowboy! 😂
I strongly disagree with matching aftermarket wheels and offsets. Id say your misinformed but not a liar cuz you obviously havent tried and just don't know but with your other set up. Know body said he cant use Those tires on stock rims, its the use of rotation with stock rims and him limited for keeping a spare or having to have just a front tire cuz of caliper rubbing up front. But all this matter anyways, the OP your trying to help and didnt tag hasnt been on over 4 months to even show us what he ended up doing so..🤷‍♂️
POIDH…all the same wheel and tire all the way around both rigs and easy to do.
3236EE1B AA8F 46F0 9D9A 40D7D690913A
8C67D9EE BD57 4CE7 A049 ADB9E46DB653

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remington my experience though limited is with ITP and Sedonawheels also. Both they both have very wide offsets as compared to STI HD9. The SEDONA SPLIT SIX 5+2 made my 1000-5 67” wide on the front.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok what is your front width on the 1000-5.

Remington my experience though limited is with ITP and Sedonawheels also. Both they both have very wide offsets as compared to STI HD9. The SEDONA SPLIT SIX 5+2 made my 1000-5 67” wide on the front.
If you want someone to see your post or question, you should either quote them or tag them @Remington

N

NTHondasxs1000

Nov 16, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been busy but thanks for calling me out @Remington!

Here's what I ended up going with for all 4 tires:

Tusk Aramid Terrabite 10 Ply Tire 28x10-14
Tusk Wasatch Beadlock Wheel 14x7 5.0 + 2.0
RB3 spacers - 1" in front and 1.5" on the rears.

I also got a spare with the same setup.

I like the look and feel so far, but haven't done any crazy trail riding since putting them on. Will get to that here shortly :)

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok what is your front width on the 1000-5.
Been busy but thanks for calling me out @Remington!

Here's what I ended up going with for all 4 tires:

Tusk Aramid Terrabite 10 Ply Tire 28x10-14
Tusk Wasatch Beadlock Wheel 14x7 5.0 + 2.0
RB3 spacers - 1" in front and 1.5" on the rears.

I also got a spare with the same setup.

I like the look and feel so far, but haven't done any crazy trail riding since putting them on. Will get to that here shortly :)
Both rigs have 5+2 15” MSA beadlocks and 67” wide. Pioneer has RB3 1&1.5” the Talon has 1” in the rear, spacers to fix the trac and the ability to use the spare on all 4’s and to rotate, especially the pioneer cuz i have LT/MT tires on it. 30x10x15’s
The Taoln has 31x10x15 KRX take offs (deff NoHomo)

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!