P1000 Kanati Mongrel Tires 28x10-14 on stock rims?

N

NTHondasxs1000

Nov 16, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey All,

I have been searching the forum and looking for the answer before posting. I am looking to replace my stock tires on my 2021 Honda Pioneer Deluxe 14" rims. No lift or suspension upgrades have been done.

I am looking to get the same tires on all four tires and as mentioned looking to get the GBC Kanati Mongrel Radial Tire 28x10-14 (I like the 10ply option here).

I would also like to have a spare rim/tire to throw in the back when I go on long treks.

This whole offset thing is super confusing since I don't have any experience with ordering new tires or rims for these things. It sounds like whatever I do, I will need a 1" spacer on the rear wheels to make the width match the front since the new tires will be the same size on all four corners.

Questions for a noob like me:

Can I keep the stock rims? It sounds like the stock offsets are as follows - Front Wheel Offset: 5+2, Rear Wheel Offset: 5+3.

It sounds like if I keep the stock rims then I couldn't use the spare on either the front or rear since the offset wouldn't match. Is that true?

If I order new rims, should I just get 5+2 offset all the way around? Any reason why I couldn't repurpose a stock 5+2 rim for at least a spare? Besides the seller's website telling me I need to use the exact matching wheel...?

If ordering new rims (14x7 5+2 offset all the way around) , just getting a 1" spacer in the rear should work?

Anything else I am missing? What would/did you do in my scenario?

Reactions: Bama-Daniel
N

NTHondasxs1000

Nov 16, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure what pics will do but here is one after a bath and filter check. Stock + windshield & roof.

Appreciate the reply and any help with the other questions would be terrific. I promise that many hours were spent searching before making this post.

YKF1Ot7

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with 14X7 5+2 rims , 28x10-14 and a 1 inch spacer in back. Use one of the front rims for a spare. I’d be surprised if you need it with 10 ply tires. Keep in mind all 28’s will measure a little different. Mine don’t rub but I have offset a-arms.
580B1321 FD3C 4F5C A18F 93C96ECC5998

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey All,

I have been searching the forum and looking for the answer before posting. I am looking to replace my stock tires on my 2021 Honda Pioneer Deluxe 14" rims. No lift or suspension upgrades have been done.

I am looking to get the same tires on all four tires and as mentioned looking to get the GBC Kanati Mongrel Radial Tire 28x10-14 (I like the 10ply option here).

I would also like to have a spare rim/tire to throw in the back when I go on long treks.

This whole offset thing is super confusing since I don't have any experience with ordering new tires or rims for these things. It sounds like whatever I do, I will need a 1" spacer on the rear wheels to make the width match the front since the new tires will be the same size on all four corners.

Questions for a noob like me:

Can I keep the stock rims? It sounds like the stock offsets are as follows - Front Wheel Offset: 5+2, Rear Wheel Offset: 5+3.

It sounds like if I keep the stock rims then I couldn't use the spare on either the front or rear since the offset wouldn't match. Is that true?

If I order new rims, should I just get 5+2 offset all the way around? Any reason why I couldn't repurpose a stock 5+2 rim for at least a spare? Besides the seller's website telling me I need to use the exact matching wheel...?

If ordering new rims (14x7 5+2 offset all the way around) , just getting a 1" spacer in the rear should work?

Anything else I am missing? What would/did you do in my scenario?
You can use stock wheels but you can't rotate. The rear wheels won't work in the front. 10 inch wide tire will look and measure a tad different on the 6.5 inch front wheel and 8 inch wide rear wheel.
Doesn't matter but it would to some. I ran that way for a couple of years. You can also run with or without the spacer. I've did both also. Mount them up and see if you want a spacer and how wide of a spacer if you want them at all. That way you don't have to depend on what someone else tells you.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure what pics will do but here is one after a bath and filter check. Stock + windshield & roof.

Appreciate the reply and any help with the other questions would be terrific. I promise that many hours were spent searching before making this post.

View attachment 362207
Pics will save you from getting the business...

Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can use stock wheels like TripleB said. I have 28s on my stock wheels with a RB3 1 inch spacer in the rear. I do plan to upgrade the wheels In the future but wheels werent my highest priority at the time when I got tires. When was looking at wheels I planned on getting 5-2 for all 4 with a 1 inch spacer N the rear. To keep from getting a 1 inch spacer on new wheels you would have to buy 6-1 in the front and 5-2 in the rear. Or that’s how I remember it. Someone should be able to confirm that.

N

NTHondasxs1000

Nov 16, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all! So glad that I made this post. Didn't realize that the rear rim was 8" wide and the front was 6.5" wide.

Seems like all the rim options are 14x7, so no matter what the spare tire will need a new rim unless I don't care about being a half inch off. I was hoping to make it an exact match, so I will either have to settle or pay up and get another rim.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks all! So glad that I made this post. Didn't realize that the rear rim was 8" wide and the front was 6.5" wide.

Seems like all the rim options are 14x7, so no matter what the spare tire will need a new rim unless I don't care about being a half inch off. I was hoping to make it an exact match, so I will either have to settle or pay up and get another rim.
Just to be clear, the stock front wheel fits the rear. So if you had a matching stock front wheel, you can carry it for a spare.

N

NTHondasxs1000

Nov 16, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to be clear, the stock front wheel fits the rear. So if you had a matching stock front wheel, you can carry it for a spare.
But what are the dimensions of the stock rim? 14x6.5 with 5+2 offset?

Reactions: Buggyman
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Going by what I think I’ve learned 5+2 is just an estimate and different between manufacturers. 5+2 or 4+3 is just an approximation. If I remember correctly, rims are stamped with their exact offsets. I bought the HD-9 wheels for my Talon from STI because they‘re specific for the Talon’s F/R offsets.

Since the spare is just a ‘get back to the trailer’ tire/wheel, you can carry a front and use it on all 4 corners like TripleB said.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What did you mean above when you said

If 5+2 is the width of the rim then what is 6.5 and 8?
5+2 wheels are 7 inch wide. A 6.5 inch wheel can't not be a 5+2. Same goes for a 8 inch wheel. You're over thinking it. Keep the stock wheels and find a front for a spare or buy five of the 5+2 wheels and be done with it. Then if you don't like how it tracks, buy the spacers.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked the stamp on the inside of the stock front wheels and it reads "14x6.5", so apparently 5+2=6.5 🤔
Uh not from where I'm from. Ha. @TripleB meant that if you put a 28" tall tire on a 8" wide rim it will be shorter than that same 28" tall tire on a 6" wide rim. Hope that clears that up. Get yourself 2 more stock front rims or buy 4 aftermarket 5+2 rims. Then you can rotate if you want

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I checked the stamp on the inside of the stock front wheels and it reads "14x6.5", so apparently 5+2=6.5 🤔
Hillbilly math says 5+2=7. Not 6.5. Dude that's the best I can do. Good luck. Any route mentioned on this thread will get you rolling down the trail. I'm out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!