Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What is the best way to keep the Pioneer "like new" clean. Sure I would like to wash it after each trip but reality is I may not get it till tomorrow or later in the week. I have heard of guys spraying there ATV's with PAM spray, baby oil, armorall, and WD-40 just to name a few. They claim that it helps repeal the mud and when time to wash it the mud just comes right off. The down fall to those products is it collects dust really fast when on the trail.

So what will you be doing?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
My first rule is to store it indoors away from the elements.

Reactions: JTW

2thpir8

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2013
NC
Simple Green to clean. Spray on, let it sit for a couple of minutes (not in direct sunlight), and rinse off

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
Been using simple green and wd40 for 10 years. Works great to clean everything and will not corrode. Wd 40 does repel water and makes the mud slide off. As far as detailing..try maxima sc1. Amazing shine and no sticky mess

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
The rear lower square frame tubes adjacent the tow hitch are open ended. If you look closely inside you will see the paint or powder coating did not reach far into the inner tube. I have not done this yet but I plan to either use a garden spray nozzle or long brush with some type of rust inhibitor to prevent the tube from rusting from inside out. It may take a long time for this to happen but I plan to keep it a long time also. For those that live in a humid area or ride mud often I think it would be wise to consider adding some protection in this area. The Big Red had round tubes with plastic caps I believe but they chose to leave them open on the Pioneer. I may add some caps as well after I coat them. McMaster.com may have some plastic tube caps that fit.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. I thought about some caps.
There's lots of places like that. Take a look at the front bumper. Not going to cap that.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Yea I noticed the front bumper joints were notched when they cut my brand new ratchet straps coming home. I'm more concerned about preservation of the chassis since its a lot harder to replace.

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
There is a product called SC-1 made by maxima that works great. Also check out Mucoff. Mucoff is biodegradable soap designed for atv's and motorcycles. SC-1 is a polish. The polish works great for same use as pam and wd-40. The plus to the SC-1, will (over time) renew some of the light hazing in the plastic as well as keep the black plastic looking new. I actually work at a dealership and these are by far the biggest sellers for me on cleaning supplies. The sc-1 also will keeps the black plastic on vehicles looking new with regular use. (i.e. jeep fenders)

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Haven't heard of SC-1. I may try that. But I have learned the biggest opportunity to keeping it clean is my lazy butt taking the time to wash it after a run.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Swamper,
Did you order those caps yet?
Well, I did. They arrived today. If you want/need 2 let me know as I ordered 50. I was installing them and they fit well.

Then I looked over and noticed one of the factory ones was missing from the frame.

So I decided to gorilla glue them in, in hopes they will stay. You got to hold them in or the gorilla glue with push them out.

I also ordered several others as I found a bunch of piping that could use caps.
- 3 cross members by rear tire.
- the frame the motor is mounted to.
- and another up front.

I'll update when I get those in next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_20131004_184352_322.jpg
    IMG_20131004_184352_322.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 602
S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Awesome man! I think only the front end of the rectangular frame tubes are capped on mine. No I didn't order any yet I'm currently working a plant turnaround and have hardly any time off. I did get a quick ride today though. That's cool ! More of a finished look :)

R

Rockfarmer816

Oct 7, 2013
I use mcguires vinyl and rubber cleaner. Stuff works great. Lasts for a long time when applied and hides scuff marks. "For awhile"' but they always reappear no matter what you use. There was a product called plexus that worked really well, but cant find it anymore. Maybe it's the same as sc-1.

Reactions: Jbird
J

Jaykup20

Oct 8, 2013
Could that expanding foam not provide some protection? You know, the stuff used to seal basement leaks? Might not be aesthetically pleasing but I'm sure would provide protection for open ends that might be too odd for a cap to fit on. If you over fill just cut the over flow with a blade.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Jaykup20 said:
Could that expanding foam not provide some protection? You know, the stuff used to seal basement leaks? Might not be aesthetically pleasing but I'm sure would provide protection for open ends that might be too odd for a cap to fit on. If you over fill just cut the over flow with a blade.
Ya. I thought about that stuff. But how water proof is it?
I want to fill in the outer cage pipe. Especially the rear as it will soon fill with mud/water and it has no exit unless you turn it upsides down. And that's not going to happen.

Reactions: JLH
J

Jaykup20

Oct 8, 2013
I did not think of that....the last thing you want to do is TRAP water in the frame.....

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I am worried about this pipe the most. Knowing my travels, I will have water this high in the near future. Mud/Water are bound to enter and fill it up adding extra weight and troubles. I must find a way to seal it off. I guess I could use a can of great stuff. Then seal it with a layer of silicone or something.
Oh.. but I really hate great stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 502
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used Blue Coral car soap for the last wash and it turned all the black plastic to like new condition and made the tires and wheels shiny as well.
Rinse off big chunks then mix Blue Coral into a heavy foam and slather all over then rinse off. I cleaned it late evening and quickly whipped it down but was still wet when I put it in the garage so I was afraid it would have water marks all over but it dried shiny clean

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use mcguires vinyl and rubber cleaner. Stuff works great. Lasts for a long time when applied and hides scuff marks. "For awhile"' but they always reappear no matter what you use. There was a product called plexus that worked really well, but cant find it anymore. Maybe it's the same as sc-1.
You can get Plexus from Amazon. It is great but it's pricey.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!