P1000 KFI Winch Mount Concerns

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the Honda mount provide the same amount of angle on the rope?

No I don't know which to order on Monday...

Tabascojunkie

Tabascojunkie

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 25, 2016
SE Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is after the shims - I don.t have a "before" picture.
It's not great but I can live with it now.
View attachment 10290
That's quite a drop... is it possible to over wind vs. under winding the winch drum to reduce the downward pull? I should think that will chafe that line if the fairlead gets as much as scuff on it.

How much line did you put on the winch?

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 10290
Thanks Ghost that is what I was the angle that I was wanting to see Thanks going to order the supueratv one monday will post pics when it comes in

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Strong Made can solve all those winch line angle concerns with their front bumper, also winch is easy to access and out of the mud:
20160122 094438

20160122 094325

Reactions: pct
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
That's quite a drop... is it possible to over wind vs. under winding the winch drum to reduce the downward pull? I should think that will chafe that line if the fairlead gets as much as scuff on it.

How much line did you put on the winch?
It's a wide spool with 65' rope - from the manufacturer that way.

There was a discussion on this forum about spooling from the top. Concerns are about line speed and winch brake- forward vs back, and whether the winch is designed to take stress from that direction.

I don't use the winch that often - so I think this will work for me.
The upward angle and squared fairlead design looked unusable before I made the 2 mods. Now it's ... I don't know - usable. Still as good as other options - unless you want to mount it like Jackal. That might be in my future if mine doesn't work out.

The Super ATV mount looks interesting but from the winch's perspective that will be pulling from the top. Not sure if winches are designed to work that way.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I believe that the winch is a significant
part of the structural strength of the
KFI mount. Without it bolted in place
you are weakening the intended
design.

Also, does the Strongmade mount shown
in this thread bolt to the 1k stock bumper?
If it does, I don't how that can be any stronger
than the KFI.

John

I used the KFI mount to build my front receiver from. It flexed wicked bad! I checked all the hardware and it was tight. The plate was flexing/bending. I had to remove it and add gussets to stiffen it. I was afraid if I left it as it was, it would fail from fatigue.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I believe that the winch is a significant
part of the structural strength of the
KFI mount. Without it bolted in place
you are weakening the intended
design.

Also, does the Strongmade mount shown
in this thread bolt to the 1k stock bumper?
If it does, I don't how that can be any stronger
than the KFI.

John

Regarding your question, since I have both the KFI mount then removed it and now the Strong Made mount. The KFI is essentially two plates that do depend on the winch frame to act as a spanning structure of rigidity. The Strong Made base is fully blocked in with over twice the material than the KFI mount. Here is a close up of the Strong Made base that the bumper bolts over and the winch on the top of.

20160119 181350

20160119 182054

20160119 194932

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the Honda mount provide the same amount of angle on the rope?

No I don't know which to order on Monday...
I have the KFI on mine. You are welcome to look at it before you order.

Reactions: amc019
advertisement
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 10290
Hey Ghost i noticed that in the instructions from superatv they mounted the winch upside down making the rope come off the top in that case your rope would be almost straight according to your pic did you think of doing that I didnt till I saw the pic

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
This may be the first time I get an aftermarket bumper for my winch....way to tight and low for the stock location in my opinion. Every mud hole and water puddle will cover or submerge a winch down low.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
I just installed the kfi winch mount and it doesn't seem very strong it mounts to the front diff bolts and to the lower bumper bolts. I have not tested it but It looks like it will bend I can make it flex by just pulling on the winch by hand but I don't have the bumper back on but all of the bolts in. The Honda mount mounts to the upper and lower bumper bolts and the winch sits angled back it looks like a much stronger design.
i have the same mount... so far no problems with a 4500 lb winch

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Hey Ghost i noticed that in the instructions from superatv they mounted the winch upside down making the rope come off the top in that case your rope would be almost straight according to your pic did you think of doing that I didnt till I saw the pic
It's a good thought. Someone else tried something similar - can't remember if it was reverse spool or just pulling from the top. They had interference from the cross bolt (tie rod). I just had a look at mine and I think I'll have the same issue. I'll have a better view next time i use the winch.
I guess SuperATV thinks it ok to pull from the top but I'll check with Motoalliance before I try.

D

DUSTMIL

Apr 21, 2020
TIPTON IOWA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My kfi winch mount bent and grounded my winch out on the frame and melted the secondary ground cable in my main wire harness on the very first use. Cost me 450 and about 8 hours of labor to replace the wire harness. I will be going with a better winch mount in the future.

Kisssofdeath

Kisssofdeath

Jun 7, 2020
Greer, SC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My kfi winch mount bent and grounded my winch out on the frame and melted the secondary ground cable in my main wire harness on the very first use. Cost me 450 and about 8 hours of labor to replace the wire harness. I will be going with a better winch mount in the future.
Hmm, I hate to hear that. I had second thoughts about using my KFI winch plate after buying it. Only reason I used it was because the eBay seller would refund me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!