P1000 KFI Winch Mount Concerns

P

Pioneer1k

Oct 18, 2015
I just installed the kfi winch mount and it doesn't seem very strong it mounts to the front diff bolts and to the lower bumper bolts. I have not tested it but It looks like it will bend I can make it flex by just pulling on the winch by hand but I don't have the bumper back on but all of the bolts in. The Honda mount mounts to the upper and lower bumper bolts and the winch sits angled back it looks like a much stronger design.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I just installed the kfi winch mount and it doesn't seem very strong it mounts to the front diff bolts and to the lower bumper bolts. I have not tested it but It looks like it will bend I can make it flex by just pulling on the winch by hand but I don't have the bumper back on but all of the bolts in. The Honda mount mounts to the upper and lower bumper bolts and the winch sits angled back it looks like a much stronger design.
I just installed mine and I had the same thought. That's a lot of pressure to be putting on those parts...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Interesting observation, thanks for sharing your concerns during install. Once the front bumper is bolted back into place with all bolts tightened do you still have the same amount of flex? Several components are interdependent with regards to structural integrity, still there is a right way and a easy way to design things. Please let us know, I too have a KFI mount on the way.

S

SHAWNSHONDA

Jun 23, 2015
Scott,La
I purchased the KFI mount also I didn't install it yet .I think it sits to low thinking I'll wait till strong made comes out with a bumper. And see what it looks like.

Reactions: JACKAL
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine flexed some until I had the bumper on. Those lower bolts I think get some rigidity from the bumper filling the gap between KFI mount and the bolt mount.

P

posterboy

Mine was the same.. it had some flex to it until I put the bumper on. With the bumper bolted on tight everything became very solid. Those two bumper bolts are the key I think.

After reading this, I had to go out to see if I could get it to flex all mounted up again to make sure and I could not get it to budge.

I can see if you do not get those bottom bolts tight on the bumper there could still be some flex, but not with them bolted tight.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mine was the same.. it had some flex to it until I put the bumper on. With the bumper bolted on tight everything became very solid. Those two bumper bolts are the key I think.

After reading this, I had to go out to see if I could get it to flex all mounted up again to make sure and I could not get it to budge.

I can see if you do not get those bottom bolts tight on the bumper there could still be some flex, but not with them bolted tight.

This is exactly what I suspected. Thanks

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My winch mount was pretty twisted up on my 700 just from plowing last year, just keep an eye on the bolts to make sure they stay tight. I ended up going with the emp bumper with the winch mounted up top. I could see if you got really mired in a whole a 4500lb winch could bend the whole front up or bend the bolts, as mine were bent also.

P

posterboy

My winch mount was pretty twisted up on my 700 just from plowing last year, just keep an eye on the bolts to make sure they stay tight. I ended up going with the emp bumper with the winch mounted up top. I could see if you got really mired in a whole a 4500lb winch could bend the whole front up or bend the bolts, as mine were bent also.
Anything will bend if you beat on it hard enough. If you twisted your plate you may need to make sure you leave enough slack out on your cable when you are plowing. Any impact to your cable is going over the pound rating of the winch from the speed and weight of your machine, kind of like running into a tree.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anything will bend if you beat on it hard enough. If you twisted your plate you may need to make sure you leave enough slack out on your cable when you are plowing. Any impact to your cable is going over the pound rating of the winch from the speed and weight of your machine, kind of like running into a tree.
what caused it was running down the road with the plow up. I have the front mount that lifts 30"+ so I had to figure it's from bouncing. I don't lift it to the point of hitting anything.I leave plenty of slack too.

advertisement
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Interesting observation, thanks for sharing your concerns during install. Once the front bumper is bolted back into place with all bolts tightened do you still have the same amount of flex? Several components are interdependent with regards to structural integrity, still there is a right way and a easy way to design things. Please let us know, I too have a KFI mount on the way.
I was just about to order the KFI mount as well, and was concerned after reading the first thread, but it seems everything is ok after the bumper bolts are tight again. woohoo!

Reactions: pct
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was just about to order the KFI mount as well, and was concerned after reading the first thread, but it seems everything is ok after the bumper bolts are tight again. woohoo!
how is the angle of the winch cable to the bumper any pics of it

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
how is the angle of the winch cable to the bumper any pics of it
It is about a 25-30 degree angle up and will touch / rub the bottom of the fairlead while under tension. I don't think it is a serious issue unless you plan on running a snow plow, and only then I think you would get excessive wear on the same 12" of rope constantly going back and forth lifting a plow up n down. Otherwise typical use I think a person would be OK.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used the Honda winch mount. I didn't measure thickness, but it is very substantial. At least 1/4" thick. It was rigid (no flex) even before bolting it up. I have no doubts, it won't be flexing or going anywhere.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I used the Honda winch mount. I didn't measure thickness, but it is very substantial. At least 1/4" thick. It was rigid (no flex) even before bolting it up. I have no doubts, it won't be flexing or going anywhere.
Were you able to buy just the honda mount?
Looks like I would have to buy to whole kit. Pricey to begin with but especially if I only want the mount.
How is the angle to the fairlead with the honda mount?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I used 3 x 1/8 aluminum flat bars and the 3/16 plate that came with the winch to raise the winch on the kfi mount. Thats as far as I could without contacting the upper mounts for the bumper. It raises the winch a little more than 1/2 inch - helps a lot.
I also filed the fairlead so the rope rolls over better.
IMG 2299 IMG 2230

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used 3 x 1/8 aluminum flat bars and the 3/16 plate that came with the winch to raise the winch on the kfi mount. Thats as far as I could without contacting the upper mounts for the bumper. It raises the winch a little more than 1/2 inch - helps a lot.
I also filed the fairlead so the rope rolls over better.
View attachment 10268 View attachment 10269
Looks like you mite have a handle on it how much did it help the angle of the cable

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Were you able to buy just the honda mount?
Looks like I would have to buy to whole kit. Pricey to begin with but especially if I only want the mount.
How is the angle to the fairlead with the honda mount?
I think it is an "installation kit" that includes the mount, and some other stuff. I can't remember if the solenoid and wiring harness came with the winch or the installation kit. Like most other Honda accessories, it was pricey. I needed it that day so I could get it installed before a planned ride, so I paid the extra. I can't really say if it's truly higher quality since I've never had any of the other brand winches or kits.
The angle could be better, but the cable doesn't rub anywhere, so I'm not complaining.

J

Jack39

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2015
Wareham, MA (near cape cod)
I used the KFI mount to build my front receiver from. It flexed wicked bad! I checked all the hardware and it was tight. The plate was flexing/bending. I had to remove it and add gussets to stiffen it. I was afraid if I left it as it was, it would fail from fatigue.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Looks like you mite have a handle on it how much did it help the angle of the cable
This is after the shims - I don.t have a "before" picture.
It's not great but I can live with it now.
IMG 2342

Reactions: joed2323
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!