P1000 Novice with a winch

PapasTrail

PapasTrail

Apr 28, 2023
Cabot AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So yesterday while goofing around in the snow, I high centered my P1000-5 Trail in an excavator rut. No problem I thought, I have this winch on the front. First of all, is there a high and low speed on this thing? It took forever to pay out enough cable to reach the nearest tree. Also, is there a remote that can be purchased? This is the factory winch on the Trail edition.
When I started using the winch, it pulled tight and I started to move, but I had to put it in low 4x4 to get it to move any further. The machine stalled a couple of times even when giving it plenty of throttle. Even when using the winch by itself in neutral it stalled. I finally was able to get enough traction to get unstuck, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong when using this winch.
I need to know what to do differently because it’s not what I expected. Any idea?

Reactions: Scoop and toddvdh
NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
That Warn winch should have a free spool feature allowing you to pull the line out by hand. Saving your battery.

Easiest answer is to read the owners manual for the winch. Most likely lots of You Tube videos on the basics of winching.

Good Luck Sir !

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
With most winches, one end of the winch has a "cap" that you can rotate clockwise and counterclockwise (looking from the side).

One position "engages" the winch spool so you can use the switch to spool line in and out (usually used when spooling in, as in when you are actively winching). The other position allows the spool to spin freely (usually used when you want to manually pull a bunch of line out so you don't kill your battery).

Winching your machine out has nothing to do with 4x4/low/high gear, as the winch, not the engine/trans, is doing the work (until you get free so the machine can be driven out the rest of the way).

I assume you've never used a winch? Youtube is your friend (e.g., search for 'how to use my winch' or 'UTV winch basics' or something along those lines).

Depending upon your brand and model of winch, there is usually a remote you can add. See your owners manual and search the Interwebz (especially the manufacturer's web site for your winch model number).

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
$20 will get you a wireless remote for the winch. I suggest wiring the positive power lead for the remote through an on/off switch on the dash (maybe hidden if you have kids that might play with it). That switch should remain off until winch is needed. This will prevent any spurious radio interference from causing unintended operation of the winch and causing damage.

As to using power out, keep in mind that even no load that winch is using something like 30 amps when running. So as @Scoop says, release the clutch for pay-out. Note too that most winches have a very short duty cycle, for each 10 seconds at full or nearly full load, it'll need to rest for a minute or more. Seems many manufacturers are somewhat evasive about duty cycles. Keep in mind that there's no really effective cooling system, so heat can build up quickly at heavy loads. Some winches have a built in thermostat to open and stop the winch at high temps . . . kinda doubt the winches we are dealing with have that feature.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Note that my Warn winch takes a team of wild horses to pull line when free spooling, there's a ton of gearing reduction in that thing. First time I tried it, I thought it was broken. :oops: Don't forget to turn the end cap back to 'engage' after pulling cable out or nothing will happen other than the motor running.

PapasTrail

PapasTrail

Apr 28, 2023
Cabot AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your suggestions! I do have a strap but need to get a heavy duty pulley.
I’ll have to educate myself on winch usage before my next episode. I didn’t think about the load while paying out the cable causing heat.
Does it require a second battery? What about rope vs cable?
Having a winch is a good thing but not knowing anything about it makes it useless.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your suggestions! I do have a strap but need to get a heavy duty pulley.
I’ll have to educate myself on winch usage before my next episode. I didn’t think about the load while paying out the cable causing heat.
Having a winch is a good thing but not knowing anything about it makes it useless.
A second battery is not required but will help. Rope is the way to go. Check out the club store for rope, winch remote and dual battery accessories

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check out the club store for rope, winch remote and dual battery accessories
If you do switch to rope, do it before your cable scars and roughs up your fairlead, or you will quickly ruin the rope.
I prefer my winch connected to my Yuasa 500 CCA, auxiliary battery.
JMO

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
YouTube has thousands of videos on how to use a winch safely, watch a few until you get comfortable with the idea.

The first time I used my winch was against a really stuck buggy and I drug the main battery down in short order. That convinced me that a second battery, isolated from the starting battery, was a necessity.

I have a couple of these, the soft shackles are very handy for connecting the ends of a tree saver to the winch hook among other uses. The snatch rings 'almost' double your pulling power (if you're close enough to be able to double your winch line).

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you haven’t already, you should consider a full skid plate under your rig.

It will help some for when you’re high centered as the frame won’t plow as much material. However a dead load is just that. When the wheels and such are mucked in…the winch has to work even harder to break free. A shovel will help but ultimately doubling the winch line helps a lot, but cuts the winch speed by 1/2.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I still have only one battery. I just make sure to rev it in neutral a little while running the winch. I usually find a stick so i can "set" the rpm's around 1500 or 2000.

Winching is a skill you can really only learn by doing dumb stuff. I do try to hook the winch as high to the tree as i can, )depending on the size of the tree) The upward pull helps some.

I may be the odd one out but i like cable over rope. I just carry a blanket to throw over the cable in case it snaps. Although with a remote kit I'm usually not anywhere near the cable.

I would agree to watch some videos. Every situation is different. But definitely learn how to use the free spool, and if you don't use your winch for a couple months take it out all the way and reroll it nice on the drum. The more you do this the better. When you are actually winching it is going to get all messed up.

PapasTrail

PapasTrail

Apr 28, 2023
Cabot AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still have only one battery. I just make sure to rev it in neutral a little while running the winch. I usually find a stick so i can "set" the rpm's around 1500 or 2000.

Winching is a skill you can really only learn by doing dumb stuff. I do try to hook the winch as high to the tree as i can, )depending on the size of the tree) The upward pull helps some.

I may be the odd one out but i like cable over rope. I just carry a blanket to throw over the cable in case it snaps. Although with a remote kit I'm usually not anywhere near the cable.

I would agree to watch some videos. Every situation is different. But definitely learn how to use the free spool, and if you don't use your winch for a couple months take it out all the way and reroll it nice on the drum. The more you do this the better. When you are actually winching it is going to get all messed up.
All good points! I’ve got some research to do! And maybe some practice uses!

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As mentioned above, install an on off switch for winch power. See the switch with the green cover. This is the one I tell the grandkids, do not touch. Not sure why you stalled but your battery will only take so much. You can not continuously winch. You'll kill the battery and the machine. You should only winch about 20 seconds and wait a about the same or more and then winch again. Watch you wire rope while winching, if it builds up on one side to much you can damage you winch. And please read about safety. Wire rope can take you head off.

Olf9E5YgLFzMhtpsWZKqgw859 h647 s no gmauthuser0
Here's some links to websites that may help you learn about winching.
1: https://www.easternsierra4x4club.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/BasicWinchingGuide.pdf
2: BillaVista.com - ATV Tech Article by BillaVista
3: https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN34177-ATP_4-31-001-WEB-2.pdf

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!