Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fortunately the 2022 Trail comes with a belly pan of sorts. It’s not metal but it seemed to work! :)
Yeah they do come with something that’s a bit better than a sheet of cardboard.

It’s an extremely common upgrade that also helps to reduce sticks and junk from coming up through the lower portions of the floor.

Most go the entire width and length of the rig, the oem only does parts of the middle.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Yeah they do come with something that’s a bit better than a sheet of cardboard.

It’s an extremely common upgrade that also helps to reduce sticks and junk from coming up through the lower portions of the floor.

Most go the entire width and length of the rig, the oem only does parts of the middle.
$600 - $800 for a quality skid plate is a lot cheaper than taking someone to an ER.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your suggestions! I do have a strap but need to get a heavy duty pulley.
I’ll have to educate myself on winch usage before my next episode. I didn’t think about the load while paying out the cable causing heat.
Does it require a second battery? What about rope vs cable?
Having a winch is a good thing but not knowing anything about it makes it useless.
The pulley you need is called a snatch block. These straddle then attach around the cable/rope. Tractor Supply or Amazon are good sources.
You don't need a second battery for random winching. I use my winch to lift a plow blade. That's a lot of winching, so a second battery helps avoid heavy drain.
Search this board and you'll find people's opinions re synthetic rope v. wire cable. There are pros and cons. For example, wire line can snap and slingshot at you; synthetic will not. Synthetic must avoid abrasion and sharp edges.
I use wire. My primary use is plowing, which wears the last 4 feet of the cable. About every other year I cut off the frayed end and use three u-bolt clamps to reattach.
Watch yoootoob how to videos for safety and other tips.
Sometimes you should use a remote for safety purposes - can keep you out of harm's way.
Good luck.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, now, that explains why @TripleB is such an expert at it!
We never would've made it home Monday without winches. Ran up on this widowmaker at the end of the trail on the way home. Hill was too rough and steep to back out and too narrow to turn around. Had to winch the front ends up the bank just to get the machine to wedge under the tree. Then power through underneath the tree and praying the tree didn't break on off.

VideoCapture 20240117 151100
VideoCapture 20240117 151114

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Free spool pay out of the cable saves the battery as said, also much faster. Keep your winch spool lubed, just a few drops of oil at ends of the spool each year at annual maint., Keep engine revs up while using the winch multiple times so to keep your battery charging to the max available. Installing a winch battery is a smart move, but it too gets tired after multiple runs. Might want to occasionally run a oily rag over the extended cable to keep it from rusting and binding on the spool. Never pull the cable fully out, always keep two or three wraps on the spool before putting the winch to work. Watch those cables/ropes they do break once in a while.

Yup, get a tree strap, snatch block and a 30' strap/rope/cable to extend your 50' spool cable reach, the tree you need to pull from is not always within 45' of your winch spool, ask me how i know. These also help when pulling a friend out of trouble. Check Harbor Freight for basic emergency supplies.

Warn Corp. has videos and lots of great advice on winch usage.

Last edited:
PapasTrail

PapasTrail

Apr 28, 2023
Cabot AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Free spool pay out of the cable saves the battery as said, also much faster. Keep your winch spool lubed, just a few drops of oil at ends of the spool each year at annual maint., Keep engine revs up while using the winch multiple times so to keep your battery charging to the max available. Installing a winch battery is a smart move, but it too gets tired after multiple runs. Might want to occasionally run a oily rag over the extended cable to keep it from rusting and binding on the spool. Never pull the cable fully out, always keep two or three wraps on the spool before putting the winch to work. Watch those cables/ropes they do break once in a while.

Yup, get a tree strap, snatch block and a 30' strap/rope/cable to extend your 50' spool cable reach, the tree you need to pull from is not always within 45' of your winch spool, ask me how i know. These also help when pulling a friend out of trouble. Check Harbor Freight for basic emergency supplies.

Warn Corp. has videos and lots of great advice on winch usage.
Thanks for all the great responses! I bought a snatch block, a tree saver, a sling strap, and a couple of shackles from Harbor Freight!
I replaced the cable with a synthetic rope because I damaged the cable when I bent the fairlead… hopefully I’ll never have to use this stuff but it’s like having a handgun. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!
Next on my list is an entrenching tool. I really wish this P1000 had more storage compartments!

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Papas Trail, you might want to pickup a cheap tool bag at HF to hold all the new stuff. Doesn’t need to be large. We have one and just strap it in back when we go riding. Ours will also fit under the front hood if needed, or in the rear footwells for the 700-4.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mesh storage bags can be held up under the roof with ratchet straps.
I posted this photo on another thread but thought I would add it here.
One of my mesh storage bags can be seen. It holds a lot of stuff and you can still wash your machine without having to unload the storage.

1705871939535 png

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!