BOX1

Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok crew,
There was lots of talk on the H.F.A.W.H.A. post about radios. Lets pull it all together here.

I'm a beginner myself and have lots of questions. Been playing around with my "radio" and found its range to be great. I bought a GT-3TP and finally got it programmed for the below list.

PL TONE?
Do I need to program the PL Tone (CTCSS) or just leave it as is and program my kid's walkie-talkie to 1-0.
Is there a faster way to do this. Most standard walkie-talkies are preset for PL Tone 1. Should I just set them all to 1?

For sakes of a black hawk raining down on us, let's call these the takeover channels. This is the common walkie-talkie radio channels that we will all be using since many of use dont have those "special radio's" .. right...

FRS = Family Radio Service
Common Channel,
Frequency (MHz) Notes
1, 462.5625 Shared with GMRS
2, 462.5875 Shared with GMRS
3, 462.6125 Shared with GMRS
4, 462.6375 Shared with GMRS
5, 462.6625 Shared with GMRS
6, 462.6875 Shared with GMRS
7, 462.7125 Shared with GMRS
8, 467.5625 FRS use only
9, 467.5875 FRS use only
10, 467.6125 FRS use only
11, 467.6375 FRS use only
12, 467.6625 FRS use only
13, 467.6875 FRS use only
14, 467.7125 FRS use only

Last edited:
J

Jshell3

Amen. I'm wanting to get one for the ride but am clueless
@ncred02
If we stick with those frequencies a good standard walkie-talkie will work fine. There will be no need to buy a "special" radio for this trip.
Although a special radio is probably just as cheap as a regular handheld walkie... (and will work within those frequencies)

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

I do read those "special radios" are good to have in like a bug out bag. Just so many settings you need be "special radio trained" to work them. Unless the zombies come.
Lol.
Ahh... true. (About the special programming).

However, A new radio owner will be around LOTS of ppl with similar radios, at this particular event.

J

JTW

This is the one I bought..
IMG 3036
Amazon.com: BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories

J

JTW

So the Motorola 1.5mile walkie-talkie should be able to pick you up and vice versa?
I programmed all the GMRS and FRS channels into mine... I think. So yes, we should be able to talk just fine as long as we all have them in.

My only question for you Hamm guys is what would be suggested for the secenario of.. we're riding in different groups and have a catostophic breakdown and have to call, Jim bob for his special tool to fix our flux capacitor. Will the channels in #12 allow that in the hills and hollers? And how far?

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I programmed all the GMRS and FRS channels into mine... I think. So yes, we should be able to talk just fine as long as we all have them in.

My only question for you Hamm guys is what would be suggested for the secenario of.. we're riding in different groups and have a catostophic breakdown and have to call, Jim bob for his special tool to fix our flux capacitor. Will the channels in #12 allow that in the hills and hollers? And how far?
I'd have to look but the channel we were running on at Bull Run got out about 5-6 miles. Now that was with both parties on top of a hill. Either way you can get distance enough to relay message.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the Motorola 1.5mile walkie-talkie should be able to pick you up and vice versa?
As long as we are on the FRS, common channels in post 1 and you are set to a privacy code of 0.
Ex. You need be on channel 1 with privacy set to 0 and we need to be on 462.5625

@JTW, I would love to find some long distance channels. I know the FRS si good for sort range.

J

Jshell3

Cp's frequncies aren't any more powerful, per say. The radio (watts) are primarily responsible for the distance. Those GMRS and FRS frequencies are not permitted to run 7&8 watts. So technically you're supposed to turn your power on the handheld down when tuned to those frequencies...
1/2 - 3 watts gets you a mile or so under ideal circumstances... 8 watts gets you twice as far.
True, the lower the frequency the better it transmits (151 vs 460)... but it wouldn't change things more than 1/8 mile in this instance.

J

JTW

As long as we are on the FRS, common channels in post 1 and you are set to a privacy code of 0.
Ex. You need be on channel 1 with privacy set to 0 and we need to be on 462.5625

@JTW, I would love to find some long distance channels. I know the FRS si good for sort range.
Long distance channels would be great for those leading groups to communicate.. for instance I can toggle between my choice of two channels or frequencies on my radio. That would allow for "local" group talk and then distant group contact in case of SHTF! I bought mine with this ride in mind and like you I'm just starting to learn.

J

JTW

Cp's frequncies aren't any more powerful, per say. The radio (watts) are primarily responsible for the distance. Those GMRS and FRS frequencies are not permitted to run 7&8 watts. So technically you're supposed to turn your power on the handheld down when tuned to those frequencies...
1/2 - 3 watts gets you a mile or so under ideal circumstances... 8 watts gets you twice as far.
True, the lower the frequency the better it transmits (151 vs 460)... but it wouldn't change things more than 1/8 mile in this instance.
So what do we need to get 5-10 miles out of these? 20 miles?? Are the handhelds capable of that by themselves?

Reactions: Biteme
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!