Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

J

Jshell3

So what do we need to get 5-10 miles out of these? 20 miles?? Are the handhelds capable of that by themselves?
No. Not really. Not handheld to handheld.
Well, 10 miles, maybe.

The real magic in the handheld is "if" you can reach a repeater tower. Then you talk a LONG ways. (The tower 100 - 200 watts repeats your signal)

But (simplex)- one handheld directly to another handheld... 10 miles would be the max. I doubt even at 8 watts we'd do that with hills and trees around.

J

JTW

No. Not really. Not handheld to handheld.
Well, 10 miles, maybe.

The real magic in the handheld is "if" you can reach a repeater tower. Then you talk a LONG ways. (The tower 100 - 200 watts repeats your signal)

But (simplex)- one handheld directly to another handheld... 10 miles would be the max. I doubt even at 8 watts we'd do that with hills and trees around.
Dang.. I guess we'll have to just wait and see. Can you tell if there are repeaters in the area we're riding?

Reactions: Biteme
J

Jshell3

One more thing... the watts a handheld transmits, is also, in a way, the "listening range" of the handheld. So, 8 watts let's you hear 4-5 miles. If you had 100 watts, you could hear a weaker 8 watt from way farther away.

That's how these magical handhelds reach repeater towers much farther distances (30 miles) away. The towers are listening harder...
So radio to radio is short range compared to radio to tower. (Unless you've got a 50 watt portable in your dash)

The problem with catching a repeater, is ... it's like a big party line. There's no way to talk privately on them. It's nothing like that. The frequency of a tower is public, and local area Hams all tune to that frequency (scan). So if a tower rebroadcasts, everyone hears. Local Hams are eager to hear someone talking on the repeater. It's how they talk. You'll need to speak your call sign at least 1 time every 10 mins, so the monitoring Hams can look you up.

RRB and stomping on a repeater all day while being extra amateur would just about guarantee a welcoming party for us when we return to camp. Because they LOVE finding abusers and have parties and equipment designated to Fox Hunt signals. And they can. They train for it, even.

That's just how it is. Jumping on repeater tower w/o a license isn't a good idea, unless it's a emergency. So that's not really feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Some things can be done here for distance and these little guys perform pretty well under the right power setting. As jshell mentioned I'd just stay off talking on the tower channels (should find out local channels for emergencies) however monitoring is allowed on all channels.
Very easy to setup once you've done it but many can help at Rbr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So...i am thinking if these are really needed that the club can just purchase 50 or so of these, program them and rent them out. It provides an additional source of revenue to support events and allows for channels of communication with all participants. It avoids problems with wrong channels and at $30 each could pay for themselves the first event. Just a thought

J

JTW

One more thing... the watts a handheld transmits, is also, in a way, the "listening range" of the handheld. So, 8 watts let's you hear 4-5 miles. If you had 100 watts, you could hear a weaker 8 watt from way farther away.

That's how these magical handhelds reach repeater towers much farther distances (30 miles) away. The towers are listening harder...
So radio to radio is short range compared to radio to tower. (Unless you've got a 50 watt portable in your dash)

The problem with catching a repeater, is ... it's like a big party line. There's no way to talk privately on them. It's nothing like that. The frequency of a tower is public, and local area Hams all tune to that frequency (scan). So if a tower rebroadcasts, everyone hears. Local Hams are eager to hear someone talking on the repeater. It's how they talk. You'll need to speak your call sign at least 1 time every 10 mins, so the monitoring Hams can look you up.

RRB and stomping on a repeater all day while being extra amateur would just about guarantee a welcoming party for us when we return to camp. Because they LOVE finding abusers and have parties and equipment designated to Fox Hunt signals. And they can. They train for it, even.

That's just how it is. Jumping on repeater tower w/o a license isn't a good idea, unless it's a emergency. So that's not really feasible.
And they do what exactly if they find you? Give you a stern talking to? Lol.. I get what you're saying but can't say that it's something I'd be too concerned with.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol.. I ended up buying a programming cable and downloaded CHIRP on the computer. I then watched YouTube to see what was next.

I followed the isntructions for repeaterbook and added FRS, GMRS, MURS, Marine VHF, and NOAA weather and manually typed I the channels CP suggested.
Well that would be fine if we all had the cable and software.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I manually programmed about five channels on mine. Two is really all you need and a couple channels takes about 20 seconds manually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Jshell3

Lol.. I ended up buying a programming cable and downloaded CHIRP on the computer. I then watched YouTube to see what was next.

I followed the isntructions for repeaterbook and added FRS, GMRS, MURS, Marine VHF, and NOAA weather and manually typed I the channels CP suggested.
This is all you need to know.
That's the stuff. Thanks @JTW
I learned stuff I didn't know.

J

Jshell3

And they do what exactly if they find you? Give you a stern talking to? Lol.. I get what you're saying but can't say that it's something I'd be too concerned with.
A friendly warning. Probably.
(Seriously- I think that's the protocol). THEN if ignored, FCC gets involved. (The ppl that find you are not FCC, it's a unit designed to inform FCC, so technically they are supposed to guide you back into the light.)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A friendly warning. Probably.
(Seriously- I think that's the protocol). THEN if ignored, FCC gets involved. (The ppl that find you are not FCC, it's a unit designed to inform FCC, so technically they are supposed to guide you back into the light.)

Just a couple people using it sporadically probably wouldn't attract any attention but 50+ chatting all day is going to attract a lot.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!