Light Bar

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
I am looking at adding an LED light bar to my 700-4. I have the Honda switch panel, and would like to use it to control the light. I'm not very handy, so I would like something that doesn't require a masters degree in fabrication and wiring. The Honda LED bar is pretty expensive, but would probably be the easiest install.

Has anyone had any success mounting & wiring an aftermarket light bar using the Honda switch kit? Any suggestions and pictures are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: HappyHonda
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's pretty easy, I don't have the best signal right now so I can't dig around the forum to find the thread with the connectors.

I'm sure someone knows what it is.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
If I remember right the aux fuse panel under the hood has the connectors labelled. Just find the one for aux lights and use it. You may need a relay? but the back side of the switch panel is accessible from under the hood. It's easy to run the wires and install a switch in your panel, you should have extra holes with a blank cover in your panel. There are instructions posted under accessory installation forum somewhere. You can find it just look around a little.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
http://www.mouser.com has the plugs/ pins
connector body # 538-50-84-1020
connector pins# 538-02-08-1002

switches can be bought here, http://www.otrattw.net

when you go to hook up yer led's the Positive will be on the right hand pin as you are looking at the board where the lights plug in.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
http://www.mouser.com has the plugs/ pins
connector body # 538-50-84-1020
connector pins# 538-02-08-1002

switches can be bought here, http://www.otrattw.net

when you go to hook up yer led's the Positive will be on the right hand pin as you are looking at the board where the lights plug in.

Thanks for the info. Now I have some more questions:

1) What exactly does the Honda Accessory Fuse Box do? From what I can tell, it has one main power supply. Then has a harness that goes to the switch panel to control power to each individual circuit. It then goes through the individual fuses, then to the connectors.

2) If my description above is correct, then how big of a light would I be able to control with this? The fuse is showing 5 amp. Can I just swap in a larger fuse for a bigger light, or will the wiring/switch not be able to handle it? I was looking on Amazon and they have some 120w 24" for under $50. Just not sure if the fuse box & wiring could handle this?

3) Do I need a special crimper for the connector pins you mentioned?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
clarky, you are right about the accessory fuse box and switches. Its real handy for putting hoda acessories on your ride, but with a little work its not that hard to use for other things. I have the honda heater hooked up to mine, and I used the wiring for the windsheild wiper (that I don't plan on ever using) to control my winch, and I'm gathering parts to put a switch there for a reverse light that I'll be able to turn on with out being in reverse in case I need to hook up a trailer at night.
120w light will draw 10amps at 12 volts, a 10 amp fuse will more than likey be fine, if not a 15 will for sure, the wiring will take it no problem. and yes you will need a crimper for the pins, I'lll get a pic of mine so you can see what it looks like, probably less the $15 for one

Reactions: ohanacreek
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
heres my crimper and one of the pins
20150811 073915 zpsnvtyxdjy

my accessory fuse panel showing the winch wiring
20150628 151001 zpsi2devuza

the winch switch installed
20150628 151032 zps7livusmz

I didn't take any pictures of the back side of the switches, if your just using the honda wiring for a simple light on a on/off switch its really plug and play.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
I really appreciated the responses. Sorry for all the questions, but I have more.

1) How much light can I expect from a 12" to 24" light bar(72 - 126 watt)?

2) I think I decided that whatever light bar I get, I will mount it on the black plastic between the hood and windshield. Any down sides to this? It looks like it will be sturdy enough, easy to get to, and a short run to the fuse box.

3) Looking on Amazon, there are a multitude of brands out there. Any one better than the other? Anything special I should be looking for?

4) Regarding buying a switch from Otrattw, what exactly am I looking for? They have rockers, switch with rockers, sealed, lighted. Lighted would be awesome, but not sure if the Honda switch panel is set up for that. I would think sealed would be good too as I am always getting water up on the dash when cleaning it.

Thanks again!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
F02e788fb815b1c4e77a1f1e4d8c1669

I would get the 24" I had the 12 and the 24 is significantly more light the 42 is my fav of what I've had I'm only going to put a 42 on my 1000.

Any of the Amazon specials are about the same quality, take them apart carefully and seal them back with black rtv silicone.

You can run a 24 off the switch but a 42 you would need a 30amp
Relay.

Mounting it on that piece of plastic where my 24 is mounted. You WILL need to brace it with a 3-4" piece of flatcar to keep it from shaking like a hula girl doll.

Use 12ga wire and you should be good the "harnesses" you get on Amazon are 16ga, too light to run a 24" bar.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
F02e788fb815b1c4e77a1f1e4d8c1669

I would get the 24" I had the 12 and the 24 is significantly more light the 42 is my fav of what I've had I'm only going to put a 42 on my 1000.

Any of the Amazon specials are about the same quality, take them apart carefully and seal them back with black rtv silicone.

You can run a 24 off the switch but a 42 you would need a 30amp
Relay.

Mounting it on that piece of plastic where my 24 is mounted. You WILL need to brace it with a 3-4" piece of flatcar to keep it from shaking like a hula girl doll.

Use 12ga wire and you should be good the "harnesses" you get on Amazon are 16ga, too light to run a 24" bar.

Great, thanks for the recommendations. I will check out the 24" lights. Without taking any measurements, I was worried it would be a little wide for that location, but after seeing yours, it will fit nicely.

What is flatcar?

Also, how do you like these little cube lights that you have attached to your windshield? I was thinking of doing the same thing for a little side lighting. Do you have them wired with your light bar, or separate?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Great, thanks for the recommendations. I will check out the 24" lights. Without taking any measurements, I was worried it would be a little wide for that location, but after seeing yours, it will fit nicely.

What is flatcar?

Also, how do you like these little cube lights that you have attached to your windshield? I was thinking of doing the same thing for a little side lighting. Do you have them wired with your light bar, or separate?
flatcar= flatbar meaning a piece of flat iron stock

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would recommend the 42" bar it put out more light than the 24" and side lights and would end up being cheaper. One switch, a 30amp relay and 20' of 10ga wire. Easy, and 1000 brighter than the stock head lights.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!