P1000 limp mode question.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Went out for a ride in sand hills on Saturday . worked fine for about a hr.everthing was shifting like normal. Then for some rason the power steering light came on and so did the engine light . It showed gear 1 on the indicator which was flashing. and wouln't shift out of first gear. I shut if off checked for loose battery cables everything seemed tight. Started up and it worked normal for less then 1/8 of a mile. Shut it off again this time tried tightening the cables .After start up worked good for a very short time then same thing. I did this for 4 times and finally because we were only a mile from the truck decided to drive back and load up. So when this happens it just has the power steering light on and the engine light is on steady plus the the number 1 just flashes steady . What should I be looking for. Thanks

Reactions: Backwoods and TxDoc
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm guessing the #1 would should be flashing a sequence of long and short pulses. If you can count the sequence we can look it up in the service manual.

Reactions: Backwoods
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I'm guessing the #1 would should be flashing a sequence of long and short pulses. If you can count the sequence we can look it up in the service manual.
no sequence of flashes . just flashes 1 steady. Or I should say it did . I had cleaned sanded all grounds as well as the positive leads. I also changed the shift control motor to a used cleaned up one. After doing this yesterday everything seems to be working normal . So could have been combination of issues. Did a 20 klm ride today with no issues .Hopefully it's resolved my issue of it going into limp mode .

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
no sequence of flashes . just flashes 1 steady. Or I should say it did . I had cleaned sanded all grounds as well as the positive leads. I also changed the shift control motor to a used cleaned up one. After doing this yesterday everything seems to be working normal . So could have been combination of issues. Did a 20 klm ride today with no issues .Hopefully it's resolved my issue of it going into limp mode .
Sounds good. Hope you got it going and no more issues. Have a good day.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
the curse of the dirty/corroded grounds strike again!

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds like the neutral switch is bad, or the shift motor.

Does the gear indicator start flashing when put into gear from park or after accelerating, maybe right when the unit should shift into 2nd?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Sounds like the neutral switch is bad, or the shift motor.

Does the gear indicator start flashing when put into gear from park or after accelerating, maybe right when the unit should shift into 2nd?
Power steering light came on first .then noticed the steady on engine light and then the flashing number 1 gear . This was on tight up and down constant sandy and bush on both sides of trails . I was paying way more attention to where I was going rather then watching the dash to see what was happening . I only noticed the dash stuff when ever I would get out of the tough terrain and it was already in limp mode. Yesterdays ride was good with no problems so with the stuff I had done before hand hopefully resolved the issue . I going to order a 4 way heater bypass valve and put it in line to stop the heater from getting hot in the summer and possibly making the CPU get to hot and creating the problem .