P1000 Little Buddy Heater Mount

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted a Little Buddy Heater in my 2021 1000-5 today. I 3D printed the mount. Looks like it will work fine for joyriding or plowing. Not too sure about trail riding due to the tip switch. I'm going to find some straps that I can cinch down. Right now I'm using 1/2" velcro cable ties. Just been in the mid 30's , so haven't tested it in colder weather yet. It got warm pretty quick today before I turned it off. It is easy to turn to face toward the back. The back seats will bypass the mount if the heater isn't mounted. It is mounted in the existing bolt holes in the front of the bed. Just bought some longer pan head screws. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
PXL 20221114 164754943
PXL 20221114 164933685
PXL 20221114 164941453
PXL 20221114 165101963

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks good. Ive seen that before but mounted low up front. We have one on a golf cart (buddys) the rises quickly on those. Being mounted high and in the back, you may not get much heat or any at all.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a single burner Mr Buddy heater in my rig and enjoy it very much. At first I had it on the floor board between the driver and passenger but ended up putting the under dash storage on, so that took up my extra space. I now have a little board I made up that sits on the seat and nests into the compartment under the 4wd shifter, with a upright to attach the heater to. If I get a chance I will take a pic. I like the ability to run the heater while not running the rig. The unit I have has an upgraded tip switch that takes quite a bit of bouncing to set it off. A friend of mine has the same set up, but his heater is a little older so he had to mess with the switch to make it keep from turning off all the time. I also was able to 3d print a mount and actually put a cross over cooling fan like they would use for a amp to circulate the heat. My biggest complaint is using the little bottles, but was able to find some 1lb bottles that are made to be refillable. I like you set up and I'm sure it will definitely help with the cold days.

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the input. I've already purchased a refill adapter so it won't be so expensive if I end up using it a lot. I have a soft enclosure on mine and sealed up the gap above my windshield with foam pipe wrap. So far it is more than sufficient for my needs. I also have the under dash storage which limits what I can mount in the floor board. If the back seat passengers get cold I can just pivot it to face the back. It was surprising how much heat that little heater generates. I'm sure if I lived in a colder climate I would be looking for alternatives, but, I think for my location it will be just fine

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We use buddy heaters in our blinds. The 1lb bottles dont last long at all. Using the refill adaptor it dosnt fill the bottles 100% like when u buy them so shorter run time. We bought the adaptors to have the hose with 20lb calendar, last over 2 weeks with 6 hr run perids each day. You can do the 10lb tank and get close to the same. You could mount that in the bed of your rig. One thing tho, if u do external ( u cant with singles), get an inline filter. Its the sulfer on the bottom of each tank and yes with 1pounders as well that ruins the heater in time. Im an HVAC tech and we see this on propane furnaces all the time cuz people use the whole tank and draw that crap in. Seen many of buddy heaters bad cuz they no longer fire cuz the sulfer Destroyed the burner and the pilot Orifice

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the input. I've already purchased a refill adapter so it won't be so expensive if I end up using it a lot. I have a soft enclosure on mine and sealed up the gap above my windshield with foam pipe wrap. So far it is more than sufficient for my needs. I also have the under dash storage which limits what I can mount in the floor board. If the back seat passengers get cold I can just pivot it to face the back. It was surprising how much heat that little heater generates. I'm sure if I lived in a colder climate I would be looking for alternatives, but, I think for my location it will be just fine
I was going to go the same route as you have with the heater on top of the bottle but was actually quit surprised at how big they are. That's when I figured I would give my other heater a try. I'm sure you will be really happy with the results of your heater. The only other thing to think about for the cold weather is a way to block of the air that comes through the shifter. I don't know exactly what model and year 1000 you have, but I have a older non LE model that I came up with something to block off the air. I see you are handy with the 3d printer so you might be able to use it if you don't have something already. Let me know and stay warm.

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was going to go the same route as you have with the heater on top of the bottle but was actually quit surprised at how big they are. That's when I figured I would give my other heater a try. I'm sure you will be really happy with the results of your heater. The only other thing to think about for the cold weather is a way to block of the air that comes through the shifter. I don't know exactly what model and year 1000 you have, but I have a older non LE model that I came up with something to block off the air. I see you are handy with the 3d printer so you might be able to use it if you don't have something already. Let me know and stay warm.
I've seen some different solutions for the shifter holes, most using rubber. I have been thinking about using a something similar to a brush outlet cover. They make bigger brushes of differing sizes for garage doors and have found different sites that have flexible strip brushes such as here . Just haven't examined how much trouble it would be to mount behind the dash.

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We use buddy heaters in our blinds. The 1lb bottles dont last long at all. Using the refill adaptor it dosnt fill the bottles 100% like when u buy them so shorter run time. We bought the adaptors to have the hose with 20lb calendar, last over 2 weeks with 6 hr run perids each day. You can do the 10lb tank and get close to the same. You could mount that in the bed of your rig. One thing tho, if u do external ( u cant with singles), get an inline filter. Its the sulfer on the bottom of each tank and yes with 1pounders as well that ruins the heater in time. Im an HVAC tech and we see this on propane furnaces all the time cuz people use the whole tank and draw that crap in. Seen many of buddy heaters bad cuz they no longer fire cuz the sulfer Destroyed the burner and the pilot Orifice
View attachment 363191
Thanks for the advice. It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge that you can gain on this forum from members like yourself. I never knew anything about the filter even being available. I have just started using a ventless propane wall heater in my shop. Probably would be a good idea to put a filter on it....just using 20lb cylinders right now. Changed insurance recently after having the same insurance for the last 35 years. Couldn't find anyone to insure my barn using the barrel stove that I have used for years. I had a sawmill for about 30 years and always had plenty of firewood.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There was gentleman by the name of Montana that made a great solution for alot of members on the forum. I believe he is no longer making them as someone had some trouble with it. Sad in my opinion. I made a 3d printed version off of his design that still utilizes the rubber but mounts from the outside in the 2 locations. The 2022 models come with a piece installed behind the dash and I have been toying with the idea of getting one and seeing how hard it will be to install. Let us know what yo come up with and enjoy.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the advice. It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge that you can gain on this forum from members like yourself. I never knew anything about the filter even being available. I have just started using a ventless propane wall heater in my shop. Probably would be a good idea to put a filter on it....just using 20lb cylinders right now. Changed insurance recently after having the same insurance for the last 35 years. Couldn't find anyone to insure my barn using the barrel stove that I have used for years. I had a sawmill for about 30 years and always had plenty of firewood.
Your very welcome. Anyway i can help. Went through the same thing with my barn and indurance

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@jenk61...... If you haven't read up on it yet, removing the little access hatch in the middle by the floor board helps quite a bit. It's not often but we've rode in pretty cold weather (single digits) for a few days at a time, and the little hatch being opened helps a lot!! Lets all the hot air from the radiator into the cab. Not a replacement for a heater but definitely a big assist.......kinda like I4WD.......😂😂😂

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, @JenElio . Yes I do remember reading that about the hatch. It made me go back and re-read that post. I think @Buckslayr used a vent similar to this. I think I will save my original hatch and make a new one from hdpe and put the vent in there or just 3d print one if I can figure out a sliding closure for it.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks, @JenElio . Yes I do remember reading that about the hatch. It made me go back and re-read that post. I think @Buckslayr used a vent similar to this. I think I will save my original hatch and make a new one from hdpe and put the vent in there or just 3d print one if I can figure out a sliding closure for it.
That should work too. I know guys just replace the 2 bolts that hold it with some type of a screw knob just for easy off/on. I tried it and placed the lid in the glovebox, kept the lid off the entire time we rode. Between that and a cheap homemade enclosure we hardly used the little heater we had. 👍

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a single burner Mr Buddy heater in my rig and enjoy it very much. At first I had it on the floor board between the driver and passenger but ended up putting the under dash storage on, so that took up my extra space. I now have a little board I made up that sits on the seat and nests into the compartment under the 4wd shifter, with a upright to attach the heater to. If I get a chance I will take a pic. I like the ability to run the heater while not running the rig. The unit I have has an upgraded tip switch that takes quite a bit of bouncing to set it off. A friend of mine has the same set up, but his heater is a little older so he had to mess with the switch to make it keep from turning off all the time. I also was able to 3d print a mount and actually put a cross over cooling fan like they would use for a amp to circulate the heat. My biggest complaint is using the little bottles, but was able to find some 1lb bottles that are made to be refillable. I like you set up and I'm sure it will definitely help with the cold days.
I would be interested in seeing a picture.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
we use mister heater big buddy a lot off 20# bottle and they offer 2 different hoses one you need the filter and the other you don't . they said it was due to the oil in the propane degrades the inside of the hose on the cheaper one that requires the filter

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@jenk61...... If you haven't read up on it yet, removing the little access hatch in the middle by the floor board helps quite a bit. It's not often but we've rode in pretty cold weather (single digits) for a few days at a time, and the little hatch being opened helps a lot!! Lets all the hot air from the radiator into the cab. Not a replacement for a heater but definitely a big assist.......kinda like I4WD.......😂😂😂
@JenElio I made a new access hatch door out of HDPE today and mounted a dampered vent in it like others have previously done. I didn't want to modify the original door if I didn't have to. Started to 3D print a new one but was easier on the table saw.
PXL 20221119 210644121

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JenElio I made a new access hatch door out of HDPE today and mounted a dampered vent in it like others have previously done. I didn't want to modify the original door if I didn't have to. Started to 3D print a new one but was easier on the table saw.
View attachment 363687
👍 nice

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would be interested in seeing a picture.
Sorry its taken awhile as I've been hunting and using the heater. I finally got some pics. I'm usually OCD and build things that work and LOOK GOOD. This was actually a thrown together early morning project that has worked so well I haven't messed with it. It just sits in the compartment below the warning label (switch panel) and sits on the seat. I ended up putting a 2x4 on the end to have it sit level. I then just screwed a 2x4 upright to attach the heater too. It makes it kind of tough getting to the switches but I usually just tell my passenger to change the radio station. I also was able to mount a horizontal fan on the top to circulate the air. It works really well, but after hunting season I might upgrade it so it LOOKS better.

20221120 183650 20221120 183642 20221120 183703

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!