Location of fuses and relays for accessories

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm trying to organize my locations for fuses and relays- additional lights, horn, and whatever else happens along.Relays should be as close to the battery as possible. But the winch cable up front is where I will feed from. I will probably use a 6 fuse setup. My question is, what will the wiring look like? At what amperage is a relay required? E.G. A wire coming out of the fuse box going to the light switch. Then it goes to the relay. When the relay pulls in, where is that power fused? Would I power it from my battery cable that powers the winch? Should it also go through the same fuse box, different fuse? 2 fuses for one operation. I hope that is understandable. I barely understand my question.

I would like to use a box that has the fuses and relays contained together.

Reactions: TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most LED lights don't draw enough current to warrant a relay. The biggest may require one. Watts/volts= amps. This will let you see if your switch chosen can handle the correct without a relay.

Quality switches from OTRATTW - The standard in high quality custom rocker switches. are a good choice. Waterproof and vibration resistant. Custom laser etched switch covers make everything custom.

You can choose either text or a logo that will light with power on and the opposite will light when activated.

God luck on your setup

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Check out the XTC wiring Harness on eBay or Amazon. Here is the eBay link:

That makes it pretty simple. You can add relay's to the busbar they supply. I use a relay on everything including LED lights.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
How did you wire fuses for the switch and the relay? A low amp fuse for the switch then a higher amp fuse after the relay? Both in the same fuse block?

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
How did you wire fuses for the switch and the relay? A low amp fuse for the switch then a higher amp fuse after the relay? Both in the same fuse block?
I only have two accessories wired to the busbar. The winch, and my 4 LED pods. So I do not have a fuse block. I used a Blue Sea fuse block on my RZR. If I were to put one on the Talon I'd use the stock hot wire that is there for the winch, hook that up to the XTC and run a wire to the fuse block. Then you could run your battery hot wires from the relay to the fuse block. As for the amp per fuse you should look at what the accessory draws. I'd think 10 amp for LED light, and probably a 20 for a winch. But I'm no expert.
As for the key on accessory hot, I would not put a fuse in between that and your relay. That key on accessory hot has a fuse in the stock fuse block under ACC

Reactions: ScottJ24 and Doogle
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
just keep in mind when mounting that you May have to get to them out on the trail to change or reset. I did this real good job of mounting mine in a clean out of the way spot. Had to take the car 1/2 apart to get there to reset a curcuit breaker LOL. I have my winch curcuit breaker in battery box now so hopefully will never need to get to it again.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I don't have a Talon, but I'm using one of these products.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This cost a little more but is worth it in time savings, versatility, an simple. There are cheaper options on Amazon that look the same, but are no where close to the same. This is all solid state, not relays or fuses. Each circuit can be programmed to max voltage, battery or ignition power, and more. Installs very nicely in the talon. Also is easy to change and add up to 8 accessories.

Reactions: TripleB
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think there’s one 40a relay and 40a fuse and 5 20a relay/fuses.
But does each device go through a fuse and relay? Up to 6 devices can be connected to the control box. The switches are connected to the control box with pre wired plug connector. The relays don't appear to be numbered.

volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
Yes. 6 devices. A relay and fuse for each. The pics on Amazon don't show how they are numbered, but each circuit has a corresponding switch on the control box.

Reactions: Doogle
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes. 6 devices. A relay and fuse for each. The pics on Amazon don't show how they are numbered, but each circuit has a corresponding switch on the control box.

So all power for a device goes through a 20 amp fuse and uses the 40 amp relay as the switch? It just saves the low power switch from getting hot and melting? The relay is protected with the 20 amp fuse and the 40 amp relay is just a max. It could be fused with a 30-40 amp fuse. Okay.

volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
Yes and yes. Or you could swap out 20a relays for the other 5. I just used this setup because I didn't want a bunch of carling switches all over the place. I wanted to keep the cubby hole open for stuff like gloves, glasses, phones, etc and not covered by a switch plate.

Reactions: Doogle

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!