P700 LOOKING AT INSTALLING A SECONDARY BATT

B

BladedRonin

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
MY 700-4 DELUXE SHOULD BE IN BY THE END OF THE MONTH, AND I HAVE ALREADY BEGUN GATHERING COMPONENETS FOR IT, SHOULD ANY SHORTAGE ISSUES ARRISE. I AM PLANNING ON RUNNING A SECONDARY BATT, AND AM WONDERING- I KEEP HEARING THE THAT MANY PEOPLE HERE USE DEEP CYCLE MARINE BATTERIES FOR THE SECONDARY BATT SET UP. IS THERE ANY PARTICULAR BATTERY I NEED TO LOOK FOR AS TO PROVIDE THE APPROPRIATE LOAD ETC. ?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A couple of points on batteries:

"Traditional" batteries are lead acid (also referred to as Pb - element sign for lead). They come in several flavors, flooded, sealed, AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). Those intended for starting engines are designed with thin lead plates so they can put out lots of current for a short time (referred to as Cold Cranking Amps). Then there's deep cycle batteries that are made with thicker plates to deliver a lesser amount of current (than cranking) for a longer period. So you can probably tell that the ideal starting battery won't be the same as the ideal long term (e.g. trolling motor) type.

That said, in the case of sxs, we'll have a starting battery and the aux will be a compromise if we are going to run a winch from it, as the winch will draw upwards of 100 to pushing 200 (depending on size and load). Besides, I'm not sure you can even find a deep cycle marine battery in a size that will fit in most sxs!

Pb batteries provide longest service when they are not discharged below 80%. 50% is the recommended low limit. Lithium batteries, and the more "fire safe" lithium ferrous phosphate (LiFePO4) types, can be regularly discharged down to 20% and lower, so their real capacity far exceeds Pb. "True" battery isolator/chargers, that many here use for connecting the two batteries, makes a version specifically for using a Pb main and LiFePO4 aux battery (I have no experience with them, just with their Pb to Pb "standard" version which works well).

There's much more, but I'm running out of steam. :).

And there's lot's more info to be had by searching this forum.

best,

bumper

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
MY 700-4 DELUXE SHOULD BE IN BY THE END OF THE MONTH, AND I HAVE ALREADY BEGUN GATHERING COMPONENETS FOR IT, SHOULD ANY SHORTAGE ISSUES ARRISE. I AM PLANNING ON RUNNING A SECONDARY BATT, AND AM WONDERING- I KEEP HEARING THE THAT MANY PEOPLE HERE USE DEEP CYCLE MARINE BATTERIES FOR THE SECONDARY BATT SET UP. IS THERE ANY PARTICULAR BATTERY I NEED TO LOOK FOR AS TO PROVIDE THE APPROPRIATE LOAD ETC. ?
Turn the caps lock off and talk to us.
I run a lead acid side post battery as a 2nd through an isolator I bought through the forum store. When we winch it is usually long pulls and heavy loads so it takes a tremendous amount of reserve.
Good luck.

Reactions: trigger
B

BladedRonin

Aug 7, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the replies. Is there a universal preferred? Ion, marine or traditional?

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just run traditional, it works with little fanfare or drama.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure you can even find a marine battery (i.e. deep discharge) in a size to fit the allocated space in many sXs . . . I know it won't fit in my P1000-5, unless I put it in the heat under the seat - - and that is sub-optimal. I put a 20AH aux bat under the hood.

DBD

DBD

Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 700-4
I went to my local Harris battery and got the rough service sealed battery for my secondary I think it is 250cca. But here are some pictures of my homemade front battery box.

0725201615 0725202320 0725202357a 0725202357

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!