Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ve driven both in the same area’s and diff does have more traction. I’ll say this as well if/when I get the Talon even that our DLX Pioneer has more traction. With a true diff lock EVERY tire spins at exactly the same rate, it’s not allowing slip, and slip is not traction. Keep hearing it’s the same from some but it’s not. I4wd tends to hunt a little more for traction and I’ve seen it under limited traction situations. Slick hill climbs and crawling over wet logs especially.
One weekend a few friends and I did a few things just to test it. Easiest way is to put one front tire on a skinny tree, especially if wet, and try to drive one tire up. Diff will do it easily but I4wd will eventually tear off bark and slip off once it dies get traction. That held true any rig with diff or not we tried.
Now with that said I4wd does allow much easier turning and and high speed maneuvering. Basically I look at it like both have positives and negatives but someone saying one is better for every situation is incorrect.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve driven both in the same area’s and diff does have more traction. I’ll say this as well if/when I get the Talon even that our DLX Pioneer has more traction. With a true diff lock EVERY tire spins at exactly the same rate, it’s not allowing slip, and slip is not traction. Keep hearing it’s the same from some but it’s not. I4wd tends to hunt a little more for traction and I’ve seen it under limited traction situations. Slick hill climbs and crawling over wet logs especially.
One weekend a few friends and I did a few things just to test it. Easiest way is to put one front tire on a skinny tree, especially if wet, and try to drive one tire up. Diff will do it easily but I4wd will eventually tear off bark and slip off once it dies get traction. That held true any rig with diff or not we tried.
Now with that said I4wd does allow much easier turning and and high speed maneuvering. Basically I look at it like both have positives and negatives but someone saying one is better for every situation is incorrect.
But you have the option to lock on the deluxe, is the 4wd unlocked more similar to i4wd?

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
But you have the option to lock on the deluxe, is the 4wd unlocked more similar to i4wd?
4wd (not in diff lock) has no where near the traction of I4wd. And I’m not saying there is a ton of difference between diff and I4wd but there is a difference.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!