P700 Looks like I am shopping for a new rim

L

LCK_Boater

Nov 7, 2018
Lebanon, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hit a rock under some leaves today and ruined a front rim. Was planning on bigger tires and rims but was going to wait till the factory tires were shot. Guess I will be shopping sooner. 138593AD 3441 4887 8D79 BC05FDCD6791

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are there certain rims that hold up better to rocks?
Nope! You need better tires with stiff side walls even with lower air pressures. The rims are a whole different story, for some reason Honda runs a different wheel offset front and rear, so if you get the same off set front and rear on your new rims, the front will be 2 inches wider than the back. You can correct this two different ways if you want to, install 1 inch wheel spacers on both sides of the rear or order different wheel off sets for front and rear, an example on mine, 6 + 1 for the front, 5 + 2 for the back. I've got stock width front and back and there the same width. But I ride tight trails and didn't want anything wider than stock.

L

LCK_Boater

Nov 7, 2018
Lebanon, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nope! You need better tires with stiff side walls even with lower air pressures. The rims are a whole different story, for some reason Honda runs a different wheel offset front and rear, so if you get the same off set front and rear on your new rims, the front will be 2 inches wider than the back. You can correct this two different ways if you want to, install 1 inch wheel spacers on both sides of the rear or order different wheel off sets for front and rear, an example on mine, 6 + 1 for the front, 5 + 2 for the back. I've got stock width front and back and there the same width. But I ride tight trails and didn't want anything wider than stock.
Thanks! A lot of trails I ride are tight also, squeezing between trees. I will need to stay at stock width for sure.

L

LCK_Boater

Nov 7, 2018
Lebanon, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Is there a reason to go to a larger rim size? I see some people doing 14" rims instead of the 12's that are standard. I think for sure I want to go to 27" tires as I could use the extra ground clearance.

L

LCK_Boater

Nov 7, 2018
Lebanon, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
OK, I think I am going with Tusk Terrabites for my tire. 27x9 - 12 for the front, 27x11-12 for the rears. HD3 wheels with 5+2 offset all the way around. That is what the package builder on Rocky Mountain put together. Am I understanding correctly that the 5+2 in the front will make it a little wider? Would it be same width front and back then? Any concerns with that?

advertisement
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes it will be slightly wider I have the 5+2 offset I like the stance it gives it. If you want to even it out you can put a spacer on the rear wheels.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
not much difference in 14 and 12 but some tires give a better ride with the 12 being more rubber, 14 could handle better. but a lot of the bigger sized tires don't come in 12

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds like you’ve probably already ordered the new set but (and I know this sounds pretty sketchy) many times when that happens to steel wheels you can beat them right back out with a hammer. Is it the right way? No. Will the wheel be true? No, but close. I bring it up because it could get you out of a jam on the trail. I’ve done this “repair” a few times with good results getting tubeless tires to seat and reseal.

Reactions: Backwoods
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have 2 rear 700 steel rims i will part with for shipping cost!!!!!!!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If he’s not interested I would be what’s the price shipped to Nebraska and how would like to be paid .
Will do,PM me you delivery address. Ill check on shipping cost.
Lets give him first chance

L

LCK_Boater

Nov 7, 2018
Lebanon, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
New wheels and tires are on. Loving the look, now just need a chance to test them out. 27 Tusk Terrabites with Tusk wheels.

Also added a steel tailgate with spare tire carrier from JEI. Going to use the old front as a spare. while it is is only a 25" tire it will be good enough to get me back home if I blow one out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!