mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Currently have a 15 Viking 3 SE. It has been an excellent machine. Have just south of 1000 miles on it now.

However, after this last week, I think I need more room. Our 4 yr old Shepherd rides up front. He stands on the floor in front of my wife, which has been fine..(other than the occasional "rear foot on the gas pedal") until now. We added another dog. Two is just too many dogs in the front.

Of course, there are other reasons for an upgrade. My gripes about the Viking are as follows;

*Noise. That one lunger is not quiet. Even with a Silent rider on it.
*Power. It's more than enough for the average dude, but I want more rip.
*Suspension. There is no "sport" whatsoever in the Viking haha!

So.... What are your likes, your dislikes etc. Are the additional options on the LE worth the extra dough?

Added a shot of the Viking just because...

IMG 0856

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Currently have a 15 Viking 3 SE. It has been an excellent machine. Have just south of 1000 miles on it now.

However, after this last week, I think I need more room. Our 4 yr old Shepherd rides up front. He stands on the floor in front of my wife, which has been fine..(other than the occasional "rear foot on the gas pedal") until now. We added another dog. Two is just too many dogs in the front.

Of course, there are other reasons for an upgrade. My gripes about the Viking are as follows;

*Noise. That one lunger is not quiet. Even with a Silent rider on it.
*Power. It's more than enough for the average dude, but I want more rip.
*Suspension. There is no "sport" whatsoever in the Viking haha!

So.... What are your likes, your dislikes etc. Are the additional options on the LE worth the extra dough?

Added a shot of the Viking just because...

View attachment 77459
Me personally would go with the deluxe and add fox shocks for $1300,
Then add an aftermarket skid plate. $800
You'll need a roof @ 4-500. Super atv windshield $400, and rear window at $100. All prices + or - .

Le comes with the shocks and skids.
I love everything about my 1000

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I take it dogs riding in the bed isn't an option or that's just the excuse we're going with? If you don't really need 5 seats I'd go with the 3s and save some dough. I'd also just get the power steering version then buy 15" wheels, some light truck tires, and then pick your own suspension.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigOL3 and JTW
J

JTW

Me personally would go with the deluxe and add fox shocks for $1300,
Then add an aftermarket skid plate. $800
You'll need a roof @ 4-500. Super atv windshield $400, and rear window at $100. All prices + or - .

Le comes with the shocks and skids.
I love everything about my 1000
I agree with this... the only change you may consider is swapping the wheels and tires with the dealer for some aftermarkets.

Reactions: Plumber32
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
If ya got a little extra the LE is very nice but I'm not a heavy modifier or see what I can do on a machine and the LE has some pretty good stuff for a buy it and ride it person and drive with confidence. I-4wd is a superb nice set it and forget it and drive with no worries and the down hill braking is awesome on these as well as steering feel. Noise...well I here how quiet these things are but these things are a bit noisier than what I would think and have had all 3 models.

I'm sure you have read alot about them and I haven't looked much but here's a thread that might help with a few of the differences. http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2017-p...ide-by-side-utv-atv-sxs-limited-edition-model

R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know what you mean about loud. Earlier this year I rode behind a Viking on a trail ride and his rig was substantially louder than mine even at 30 feet ahead of me. Everyone that rode in our group kept commenting on how quiet my 1000-5 base model was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 0860silverado
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I take it dogs riding in the bed isn't an option or that's just the excuse we're going with? If you don't really need 5 seats I'd go with the 3s and save some dough. I'd also just get the power steering version then buy 15" wheels, some light truck tires, and then pick your own suspension.

Roof, netting and back window keep them in.

C

chillout

Nov 26, 2016
Tx
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I bought the 1000-5 LE in 2016 and love it. No complaints at all(or repairs either). Seems like most of the people that don't support the LE expense are the ones that don't have one.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know what you mean about loud. Earlier this year I rode behind a Viking on a trail ride and his rig was substantially louder than mine even at 30 feet ahead of me. Everyone that rode in our group kept commenting on how quiet my 1000-5 base model was.

Compared to my Polaris Ranger, I find the P1K to be a good bit quieter at idle and slow speeds. But the reverse is true above about 5,000 rpm. My P1K gets pretty loud at those rpms and at around 7,500 it's raising all kinds of hell under there!

advertisement
J

JTW

I bought the 1000-5 LE in 2016 and love it. No complaints at all(or repairs either). Seems like most of the people that don't support the LE expense are the ones that don't have one.
Or realize that you can add better aftermarket parts than what Honda offers, have a true locking front diff and all for less money. Unless someone just wants the i4wd system there’s no reason to buy the LE.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd like to drive one. I will say I haven't heard anyone complaining about the LE so that's a good sign. I think it would be really nice when I'm plowing snow.

Reactions: lee and Eltobgi
DoubleDoc

DoubleDoc

Mar 28, 2017
Gods Country (Montana)
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We had that exact issue/need. Not so much relating to canines, but a lack of room for both two and four-footed friends. I thought I had to have Can Am - until, on a whim, we test drive our P1K5. Our P1K replaced a 2009 RZR 900 Sport - which was a great/reliable machine, but was lacking room with just two seats - some one was always left behind/butthurt. Now we can go with 5 comfortably (assuming Aggie, my wife's service dog approves). The Pioneer and its seating arrangements sold us. I never hear folks say they have too many seats?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I'll be honest.. while the Viking has been a great machine, I'm tired of the noise and want more power. Anytime I can get my better half's buy in on a toy, I'm stupid not to follow thru on it. :)
The layout of the 1000-5 seems to fit all the different uses I have for a machine.
I'm already sold on the Honda product. I have an '02 Rancher ES I bought new that now has 9700 miles on it. Still runs like a top.

As far as the step to the LE goes... I like the upgraded suspension, the front brush guard, the additional under dash storage, & skid plates. The A-arm guards are useless to me as they don't protect the CV boots. Bad design for sure. I could take or leave the i4wd system.. sounds good in theory, as long as it doesn't quit working. I just have a habit of getting the top line to begin with & don't look back.

Thanks for all the great responses. I typically do a ton of research prior to purchasing something like this, so any info is good.

I added a few shots of a ride my daughter and I took. It was 3 days, and right at 200 miles. The road is called the Magruder Corridor. It's the longest unimproved road in N America. Essentially goes from Red River Idaho to Darby Montana. Amazing trip.

IMG 1273 2 IMG 1287 2 IMG 1429 2

J

JTW

I'll be honest.. while the Viking has been a great machine, I'm tired of the noise and want more power. Anytime I can get my better half's buy in on a toy, I'm stupid not to follow thru on it. :)
The layout of the 1000-5 seems to fit all the different uses I have for a machine.
I'm already sold on the Honda product. I have an '02 Rancher ES I bought new that now has 9700 miles on it. Still runs like a top.

As far as the step to the LE goes... I like the upgraded suspension, the front brush guard, the additional under dash storage, & skid plates. The A-arm guards are useless to me as they don't protect the CV boots. Bad design for sure. I could take or leave the i4wd system.. sounds good in theory, as long as it doesn't quit working. I just have a habit of getting the top line to begin with & don't look back.

Thanks for all the great responses. I typically do a ton of research prior to purchasing something like this, so any info is good.

I added a few shots of a ride my daughter and I took. It was 3 days, and right at 200 miles. The road is called the Magruder Corridor. It's the longest unimproved road in N America. Essentially goes from Red River Idaho to Darby Montana. Amazing trip.

View attachment 77494 View attachment 77495 View attachment 77496
I don’t care what you buy.. but if you truly don’t care about the i4wd system. Buy a new deluxe and add the items you like. You’re paying a premium for a sucky aluminum Honda skidplate (compared to a 1/2 uhmw plate that covers the entire belly of the machine $700-800) and painted panels (I suggest you compare the price of painted vs non painted panels). Fox shocks can be had for $1300.. brush guard 200, under dash storage 100. I can see some times the i4wd would be handy... but the same can be said for the locked diff.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
LE is :D. It has something you don't need and that's called 2-wd mode. Ya only need Turf mode or I-4wd in this thing.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The way I see the i4wd is it’s great on paper from an engineers perspective. But it’s based off of wheel speed sensors and a computer to control the brakes. Just more expensive electronics parts that at some point will fail. If you are gonna trade the rig in for the latest and greatest next shiny object in 2-3 years than you probably won’t ever have any issues with the system. But if you only plan on having a sxs for that long than why buy a Honda? For a couple extra thousand dollars I’ll move a lever to the left or right a whole lot of times befor I think it would be worth it

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I came from a Viking myself. I loved the Viking! I put the JBS clutch kit to get a little more speed on it, and it did everything I needed at the time. Then I got the Pioneer 1000-5. The Viking is garbage compared to the Pioneer IMHO. Better ride, faster, more room...etc, etc.

Reactions: mjn and JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!