BOX1

P1000 1000le first ride review

C

Cooterbob

Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Although I’ve had it for a couple of months , I finally had a chance to go out and test it out on the trails . I’ve previously owned an 08 and 14 teryx. Both were great machines and very dependable, but the overall handling and ride of the Honda is so much better. The fox shocks on the LE are incredible. I was also a little skeptical of not having a true locker in 4wd, but the i4wd system worked great. I also can’t get enough of the paddle shifters. What a great feature. Compared to both teryx’s, it is WAY more quieter in the cab. Overall,very impressed. I just hope it turns out to be as reliable as both my teryxs were....

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Glad you are liking it . I have about 1000 miles on my LE now and have had it in some serious terrain situations, I-4WD has worked like a charm. For reference I have a 2016 1000-5 with 2500 miles on it and had had to use the full lock in several situations, the LE just set it and forget it. Literally just let you drive the machine without wondering what mode to be in or stopping and changing selection after regular 4wd didn't get it done.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No we will let you ride with us, hell we will even wait for you to play with your shift knob while picking the path you want to take. :D

That still sounds like a very nice way of saying....... "You NEED an LE!!!!!!"

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That still sounds like a very nice way of saying....... "You NEED an LE!!!!!!"
I will say this, I would buy it again, and wish I could swing having a second one for family when they visit. For now I'll drive my '16 P1K5D and let them drive the '18 LE. It is a machine even a new person can get over some nasty stuff without much effort the machine just does it's thing.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
is the LE the same in 2017 and 2018?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad you are liking it . I have about 1000 miles on my LE now and have had it in some serious terrain situations, I-4WD has worked like a charm. For reference I have a 2016 1000-5 with 2500 miles on it and had had to use the full lock in several situations, the LE just set it and forget it. Literally just let you drive the machine without wondering what mode to be in or stopping and changing selection after regular 4wd didn't get it done.
I have no doubt it is as reliable as Honda could possibly make it BUT, as a rule I tend to shy away from such 'improvements'. Before buying I looked closely at the LE and the ONLY reason I did not get it was because standard locking 4WD was not possible. I suspect as long as there is no computer problem, it will work flawlessly. My thoughts were ...... do computers ever 'drop the ball'?? That rhetorical question does not require an answer ...... lol.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My thoughts were ...... do computers ever 'drop the ball'?? That rhetorical question does not require an answer ...... lol.

LOL. ,the ECM doesn't drop the ball nearly as often as the operator. That being said, I now have 1500 miles on my LE and absolutely love it. It is 100% stock including the tires and has gone through every type of terrain you can imagine staying right there with the big boys with their arched A arms, 30" tires, and manual full lockers.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do recall watching an le climb a steep part at top of the world. Took a bit as it would loose traction and spin out. I put mine in diff lock and walked right up it. Diff lock is better in extreme situations. Can't argue with that

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I'm on the fence about spending more $$$ on my P5 for greater comfort and nicer amenities versus just buying a 1000-3 eps and having more room, more leg room, more ground clearance, more of everything....I can't justify the LE but sure wish I could. I'm just not sure which direction I wanna go.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm on the fence about spending more $$$ on my P5 for greater comfort and nicer amenities versus just buying a 1000-3 eps and having more room, more leg room, more ground clearance, more of everything....I can't justify the LE but sure wish I could. I'm just not sure which direction I wanna go.
Go as big as you can afford.

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They make a 3 seat LE

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would love to have a P5, but wouldn't trade my P 1 for one, the P1 is great, just not in stock form, skids, shocks, wheels and tires, wind deflector, winch and roof , is all you need, HA! Textron has one that's got most of this stuff stock, Havoc, BUT it's very wide!

Reactions: GRANITE
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!