P1000m5 Post 20 Hour Review

Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At age 65 this 2018 1000-5 is my first off road vehicle.I have hunted and fished for decades but never wanted one of those "noise polluting" rigs until a new friend let me drive his Teryx on a Moose Hunt. I test drove every non sport/racing type of SxS sold by dealers in my area. Tried the 1000-5 twice and it came down to either it,the Yamaha Wolverine or the CanAm Defender.The Defender had better storage,Wolverine handled well and had nice bucket seats but Honda's powerful engine,beltless transmission,reliability and resale value reputation sold me. I continue to be impressed with the transmission and drive train of the 1000,loads of torque and always in the right gear---love the shifting sound and feel. Plenty of ground clearance for the rough unmaintained trails I've traveled so far. Seating is comfortable for a bench seat,leg room and foot pedal positioning is very good for 6 foot me. Dash controls are very well laid out and the paddle shifters are a bonus on occasion.The LED Headlights and Load Leveling Rear Suspension of the Deluxe also helped sell me plus the flexibilty of the plus-2 folding seats/dump box. The short turning radius was appreciated when needing to reverse direction on a very narrow woods trail. I also appreciate that the engine/drive train noise is less than some other brands. Looking forward to Spring riding...

R

rph

Jan 24, 2019
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At age 65 this 2018 1000-5 is my first off road vehicle.I have hunted and fished for decades but never wanted one of those "noise polluting" rigs until a new friend let me drive his Teryx on a Moose Hunt. I test drove every non sport/racing type of SxS sold by dealers in my area. Tried the 1000-5 twice and it came down to either it,the Yamaha Wolverine or the CanAm Defender.The Defender had better storage,Wolverine handled well and had nice bucket seats but Honda's powerful engine,beltless transmission,reliability and resale value reputation sold me. I continue to be impressed with the transmission and drive train of the 1000,loads of torque and always in the right gear---love the shifting sound and feel. Plenty of ground clearance for the rough unmaintained trails I've traveled so far. Seating is comfortable for a bench seat,leg room and foot pedal positioning is very good for 6 foot me. Dash controls are very well laid out and the paddle shifters are a bonus on occasion.The LED Headlights and Load Leveling Rear Suspension of the Deluxe also helped sell me plus the flexibilty of the plus-2 folding seats/dump box. The short turning radius was appreciated when needing to reverse direction on a very narrow woods trail. I also appreciate that the engine/drive train noise is less than some other brands. Looking forward to Spring riding...
Wondering if you feel a little extra heat from/beneath the front seat. No overheating issues but runs warm.

Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wondering if you feel a little extra heat from/beneath the front seat. No overheating issues but runs warm.
Yes there is some heat from under the middle of the seat,I didn't get my machine until late fall and the slight warmth was appreciated--- how I'll like it this summer is yet to be determined.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'm glad to see you are enjoying the unit. At the 20 hr/100 mile mark you are now due for the first service, so is that something you are planning and/or taking to the dealership?

Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad to see you are enjoying the unit. At the 20 hr/100 mile mark you are now due for the first service, so is that something you are planning and/or taking to the dealership?
I took it to the dealership since valve adjustment is due at 20 hours. I do plan to do the next service though,it is at 100 hours and primarily oil and filters,just need to buy a torque wrench.

Reactions: alloutdoors
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
A quality set of torque wrenches are nice addition to the tool box....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!