P1000 2 week owner review, likes/dislikes

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, as of today I have had the P1000-5 exactly 2 weeks. Intended use for this machine is truly dual purpose. Hauling firewood off the mountain property, hauling the grandson and family, and Royal Blue, Windrock , Harlan.

Hauled wood all day Thursday and went to Royal Blue Saturday and rode 5 hours. More on that later...

Never owning an ATV, (dirtbikes and cralwrs, buggies, and rock racers but no four wheelers or sxs) but coming from off-road race buggies, offroading has been my thing for years.

First thoughts. The transmission... Even though I have not owned an ATV, I have ridden plenty. From Polaris to a factory Can Am Renegade 800 racer (my favorite so far). Around the farm it feels clunky changing gears. Loaded, it seems to smooth out. At Royal Blue I really got to put it through it's paces. Climbs, mud, rocky sections andfast roads. I left it in Auto except some of the long climbs. Being able to shift at will to keep it where you want is awesome! Several times in Auto I used the paddles to temporarily downshift. Sometimes in the technical stuff it would want to lug the engine without shifting down. Not wanting to let out of the throttle for the downshift, being able to temporarily downshift with the paddle is great! Coming from well built automatics and either on or off skinny pedals, this is just different than what I am used too .

I feel I will learn this transmission as time goes on and love it. Right now I would give it a 7 out of 10.

4x4 and stuff. I love the turf mode. Love the diff lock and overall set up. It gets a 10!

Power and engine. Not a racer but I did not buy it for that. Lots of torque and power on tap. It get a 10 for it's well rounded power and delivery.

Farm use... It's got the biggest bed and payload! What's not to like! Oh...one pet peeves. The tailgate cables? Why so short? It does not lower level with the bed. So, 9 out of 10. It really does feel at home on the farm...

Lighting. I have the Deluxe so it has the LED headlights. They get a 10. BUT...
No dash lights and no back up lights drop it down to a 5... They only got half of it right!

Suspension... Hmmm. Farm use it gets a 10+. Trail use for a utility/sport gets an 8.
I do not jump this on purpose, but I do like to carry the mail! Here is where I am torn. At speed, I wish it was more supple. It can be a little harsh at speed in the ruff stuff compared to other things I have driven. I guess here is where the dual purpose makes it a little tuff. Way more supple than my rock Crawler but compared to the off road race cars with suspension seats, a little harsh.

So overall on the suspension a 9. Maybe a set of Walker Evans will do the trick for the fast stuff.

Front seats. For their intended purpose and use, a 10. Not buckets, but I did not buy a machine with buckets. Only after 5 solid hours of fast rough riding, did I yearn for a set of plush bucket, suspension seats. But again , for the dual purpose this machine is intended for, a 10! I really had not issue staying planted in them.

Trail manners... A 10+! Wheeled with a Polaris 1000 and a Polaris General 4 seater. I could turn sharper than either. They both pushed in the muddy sections at slow speed.
Clearance, from a non modified factory ride, it was great. The General and other 4 seaters are too long, they push and have horrible breakover angles. The Pioneer is long enough to be stable on the steep climbs, but short enough to be the nimblest of the multi seaters! A 10+.

Off-road I am just amazed at how well this thing goes. So far, anywhere I pointed the wheels! No deep mud or water though, neither are my thing.

I love this machine. For a dual purpose machine, it simply works. Upgrade the lighting, and suspension and this machine would be darn near perfect for anyone wanting to work on Saturday and play hard on Sunday!

It gets a solid 8 for as delivered! Now I got to go look at lighting and shocks...

(Note on shocks: coming from the love of driving fast, this is purely subjective. A lot of people would be happy with stock set up )

Last edited:
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with a lot of your assessment. Upgrading shocks will make you a ton happier. I also prefer the handling of a 28x10 front tire over the stock flimsy 27x9s.

You'll also notice the transmission smooths out a lot as you get more miles on it. The shift actuator clunk never really goes away but you start to ignore it.

Keep on riding and stick around here, lots of great info and ideas for modifications

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the addiction from Central Texas
I have the LE with Fox shocks, I have been in a few other stock machines and feel the updated shocks are huge improvements

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!