P1000 I-4WD breakdown. The advantage over traditional systems - Honda Pioneer 1000LE

J

JTW

I4wd is nice. Lets u keep in 3wd until 4wd is needed. I would think its awesome till the 100% of needed wheel traction is needed. Definitely might save u if u were in 3wd and needed 4 on the fly. Saw a bunch of other rigs bouncing on ledges/waterfalls and a wheel not spinning on the bounce keeping them from going up. Overall I4WD would be great for 99% of trail riding.
And it would save a few axles! Lol..

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I go everywhere in turf mode. You guys need to learn to drive

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I told my co-workers..."if you need 4WD, you are somewhere that you shouldn't be".

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, with just 75 miles on the clock, I've got a lot of "testing" to do. However, I put it thru it's paces this last week in N Idaho, and had no issues whatsoever.

I'm not the guy that's going to put my machine into a spot where I'm likely to hurt it. I use my toys, but I try to take good care of them too.

There is one hill on the main trail out of my place that is pretty dam steep. It's rutted, off camber, rocky etc.. It's a hill I never tried on the ATV's because it's about 70-80 yards long and in a couple spots I'd have to be setting on the rack to keep it from going over backwards.
Like the Viking before it, the Pioneer walked right up.

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
I-4wd is pretty bad ass. I went wheeling with Tramguage1 and CaptainJackRZR this weekend. @Tramguage1 PK1 never failed to climb the crazy stuff we did. I’m pretty impressed with the technology that is being put into sxs across all manufactures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I gotta get my 2cents in on this one.. I'm totally in favor of 'technology' making equipment better, more durable, efficient, etc.. I have a problem with using 'technology' to just make what once required skill, common sense, and even intelligence to do, available to those with the least skill, no common sense, stupidest, and careless among us, for no other reason than to increase sales. The so called "intelligent 4wd" system will allow the previously mentioned, to get themselves into places and situations they should never have been able to get themselves into, and because these technologies contribute to increasing the numbers of the previously mentioned out into the wilderness and trails where they have no business whatsoever being, it won't be long before there will be so many rules, regulations, and then the required authorities to police them, our last vestige of actual freedom will be all f'd up like everything else.
I speak from experience here: I've been in the boating industry for over 35 years, and have seen the exact same scenario happen in boating. Any idiot can now buy a boat that will damn near dock itself with 'joystick' control, navigation skills totally irrelevant, knowledge of systems unknown, etc. I have seen the devastation that occurs when these systems fail. In my area, on any boat outing, you can just about bet on being stopped by one of 6-8 different authorities that police the area, that are all seemingly competing for revenue by giving out tickets. You pretty much need a Lawyer on-board to decipher all the fishing regulations etc...
This is what 'technology' for convenience, or just plain dumbing down of every aspect of our lives does. Every time. 100%
So, NO, I don't think "intelligent" 4wd is good for anyone, except an O.E.M.'s bottom line.

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I gotta get my 2cents in on this one.. I'm totally in favor of 'technology' making equipment better, more durable, efficient, etc.. I have a problem with using 'technology' to just make what once required skill, common sense, and even intelligence to do, available to those with the least skill, no common sense, stupidest, and careless among us, for no other reason than to increase sales. The so called "intelligent 4wd" system will allow the previously mentioned, to get themselves into places and situations they should never have been able to get themselves into, and because these technologies contribute increasing the numbers of the previously mentioned out into the wilderness and trails where they have no business whatsoever being, it won't be long before there will be so many rules, regulations, and then the required authorities to police them, our last vestige of actual freedom will be all f'd up like everything else.
I speak from experience here: I've been in the boating industry for over 35 years, and have seen the exact same scenario happen in boating. Any idiot can now buy a boat that will damn near dock itself with 'joystick' control, navigation skills totally irrelevant, knowledge of systems unknown, etc. I have seen the devastation that occurs when these systems fail. In my area, on any boat outing, you can just about bet on being stopped by one of 6-8 different authorities that police the area, that are all seemingly competing for revenue by giving out tickets. You pretty much need a Lawyer on-board to decipher all the fishing regulations etc...
This is what 'technology' for convenience, or just plain dumbing down of every aspect of our lives does. Every time. 100%
So, NO, I don't think "intelligent" 4wd is good for anyone, except an O.E.M.'s bottom line.
I'm totally with you on this. What scares the HELL outta me is Uber's self driving car. If this thing catches on, we can kiss the joy of piloting a car down a twisty road goodbye! (I think it already ran over and killed someone so maybe common sense will prevail for a bit longer).

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I gotta get my 2cents in on this one.. I'm totally in favor of 'technology' making equipment better, more durable, efficient, etc.. I have a problem with using 'technology' to just make what once required skill, common sense, and even intelligence to do, available to those with the least skill, no common sense, stupidest, and careless among us, for no other reason than to increase sales. The so called "intelligent 4wd" system will allow the previously mentioned, to get themselves into places and situations they should never have been able to get themselves into, and because these technologies contribute increasing the numbers of the previously mentioned out into the wilderness and trails where they have no business whatsoever being, it won't be long before there will be so many rules, regulations, and then the required authorities to police them, our last vestige of actual freedom will be all f'd up like everything else.
You are over generalizing to the extremes here. I4wd is a technology that exists in nearly all 4wd SUV'S that are on the road today. It doesn't make anyone a better driver or more talented or skilled. You're putting it in the same category as boats and cars that park themselves and that's simply not the case. Theres no auto pilot it's just making the 4wd more efficient. Just like locking and limited slip rear ends helped trucks, electronic 4wd options have also improved the auto world. It has helped a lot of people get from a to b more effectively and more safely.

Technology also helps professionals. Look at nascar, indy, trophy trucks and so on. I understand your sentiment towards idiots that can't drive and tend to put too much faith in their vehicles but to say i4wd will be the demise of our enjoyment of trail riding is a bit over the top.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You are over generalizing to the extremes here. I4wd is a technology that exists in nearly all 4wd SUV'S that are on the road today. It doesn't make anyone a better driver or more talented or skilled. You're putting it in the same category as boats and cars that park themselves and that's simply not the case. Theres no auto pilot it's just making the 4wd more efficient. Just like locking and limited slip rear ends helped trucks, electronic 4wd options have also improved the auto world. It has helped a lot of people get from a to b more effectively and more safely.

Technology also helps professionals. Look at nascar, indy, trophy trucks and so on. I understand your sentiment towards idiots that can't drive and tend to put too much faith in their vehicles but to say i4wd will be the demise of our enjoyment of trail riding is a bit over the top.

^^^^^^This.

also, the i4wd will most likely tear up less turf and be easier on the trail surface.

Tell me you don't want the i4wd because it adds more complicated electronics to the machine, and is more stuff to go wrong... I'd understand that. It was for that reason that I was on the fence for a bit between the LE and the DLX. In the end, I like the look, I really dig the Fox shocks, and know that my better half can just throw it in 4wd and not worry about it.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I have a problem with using 'technology' to just make what once required skill, common sense, and even intelligence to do, available to those with the least skill, no common sense, stupidest, and careless among us, for no other reason than to increase sales.

So Polaris set the bar pretty low, belt drive, a bazillion grease zerks and spontaneous combustion of the whole damn SxS. Honda comes along with an all gear transmission that doesn't need trail side replacement- should we say money grubbing honda ruined the sport making it too easy to go ride?

I'm not disputing the end result, wilderness closures and increasingly draconian big government rules, but I would question the cause and effect here. I'm thinking it's global warming that is causing the bad result.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
So Polaris set the bar pretty low, belt drive, a bazillion grease zerks and spontaneous combustion of the whole damn SxS. Honda comes along with an all gear transmission that doesn't need trail side replacement- should we say money grubbing honda ruined the sport making it too easy to go ride?

I'm not disputing the end result, wilderness closures and increasingly draconian big government rules, but I would question the cause and effect here. I'm thinking it's global warming that is causing the bad result.
HA HA. Read the first part again......:p Spontaneous combustion- that's some funny s**t! LMAO!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!