P700 Loose Timing chain.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I have about 15000 klms on my Pioneer 700 and notice a ticking sound coming from the motor. Almost sounds like loose valves. I've checked the valve adjustment many times and even have them set a bit on the tighter side rather then loose. Now with this amount of mileage is there away to check to see if the timing chain is loose and making the noise without having to pull the motor etc:

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

I've had alot of issues out of 650/680 Rincons with timing chain tensioners. Sounds like a higher pitched knock or peck. On the drivers side under the exhaust header is the tensioners.

Remove the bolt in the center
Take a small screw driver and inert it into the hole
Turn it to see if the tensioners is stuck
Make sure it springs back out

You can also start it and turn this in to see if the noise your hearing gets worse or doesn't change. If it gets louder and sort of follows the pulse feel your getting from the tensioner then it's probably lost its tension.

What your doing is loosening the tensioner to see if the chain starts knocking. If I heard it I could tell you instantly whether it not thats the noise.

M

Muddyroad

Dec 1, 2022
East Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you ever fix this issue? I have one in my shop that sounds like the same problem .
I have a 2017, 700 presently in shop ,2nd incident ,cam chain tensioner . Is there a good after market part available . Looks like OEM part is very reliable . Shop visits are pretty expensive . Would like to repair properly and stop shop visits and down time .

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2017, 700 presently in shop ,2nd incident ,cam chain tensioner . Is there a good after market part available . Looks like OEM part is very reliable . Shop visits are pretty expensive . Would like to repair properly and stop shop visits and down time .
How many miles on it?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ill add this thread is 6 yrs old. Pretty sure The OP dosnt have that rig anymore as well. To get more answers, Id start a new thread with your question.
Also, post some pics of your rig, its Rule #4 Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I don't have the 700 anymore. I can tell you what I found with mine. It wasn't the tensioner or the chain. I did end up pulling the motor apart at the 18,000 klm and did coplete top end rebuild with new chains [oil pump & timing chain ] etc. Now this is the thing I found with mine. the bearing on the gear side of the cam shaft was failing. I had to replace the cam shaft.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!