Low Cost Wiper/Washer for OEM Hard Poly Windshield

Nogrey

Nogrey

Aug 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey all; I installed a wiper and washer on my 1000R about a month ago using the rear windshield wiper from a 2001-2007 Ford Escape. Install was simple. I extended the 12" arm to 14" by drilling out the rivet and extending the shaft, as well as extending the spring by adding a spacer to accommodate the extension. It was pretty easy and the amount of pressure of wiper on windshield is optimal. Total out of pocket cost was about $60 which includes a rocker switch and the washer kit. The wiper assembly was $20 from the local junk yard. Now, before you start slamming the idea and retorting with "Your windshield will be scratched horribly", let me tell you that Seizmic has been selling their $399 kit for years and people rave about it. Using a silicone wiper blade is the key, as well of plenty of water if there is mud or dirt, before wiping. I've been using it on fresh mud and have zero scratches. Plus, I don't have to stop to do it. Just push the button and dispense a ton of water on the window, then switch on the wiper, rinse and repeat. Give the video a look. Nay-sayers will be teleported to planet Zeus! 😂

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey all; I installed a wiper and washer on my 1000R about a month ago using the rear windshield wiper from a 2001-2007 Ford Escape. Install was simple. I extended the 12" arm to 14" by drilling out the rivet and extending the shaft, as well as extending the spring by adding a spacer to accommodate the extension. It was pretty easy and the amount of pressure of wiper on windshield is optimal. Total out of pocket cost was about $60 which includes a rocker switch and the washer kit. The wiper assembly was $20 from the local junk yard. Now, before you start slamming the idea and retorting with "Your windshield will be scratched horribly", let me tell you that Seizmic has been selling their $399 kit for years and people rave about it. Using a silicone wiper blade is the key, as well of plenty of water if there is mud or dirt, before wiping. I've been using it on fresh mud and have zero scratches. Plus, I don't have to stop to do it. Just push the button and dispense a ton of water on the window, then switch on the wiper, rinse and repeat. Give the video a look. Nay-sayers will be teleported to planet Zeus! 😂
Link doesn't work

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Nice job! Did you go to the salvage yard just looking or were you looking for that specific washer-wiper? How did you know it would sweep a 170° arc?

Reactions: Smittyp and ChadD
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I had a buddy that did a similar install, but it was all manual. I have a glass windshield, with a manual wiper. I am wondering if I could automate my wiper, may have to dig into this. Just wanted to say thanks for making me spend more money :D.

Can you share the part number for the wiper motor you bought?

Also, why did you go with that specific model or wiper motor? Curious if others will work, I assume any will work assuming it's a 170* wiper system.

Last edited:
B

bowhunterbaker

Oct 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Nice work Nogrey! Is the glass holding up? I'd like to duplicate your design on my 520.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!