Talon Lower Door Panels

H

HondaTech

Are the factory lower doors plastic or are them aluminum ? No one around here has them and the dealer said he “thought” they were plastic but not too sure?? Thanks

They are plastic. Ive seen a Talon with metal lower door. But they weren't enclosed, just a flat piece bolt to the door in the same spot as Hondas.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are the factory lower doors plastic or are them aluminum ? No one around here has them and the dealer said he “thought” they were plastic but not too sure?? Thanks

The Honda OEM lower doors are plastic.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
They are plastic. Ive seen a Talon with metal lower door. But they weren't enclosed, just a flat piece bolt to the door in the same spot as Hondas.
I have SuperATV Aluminum lowers and they are nice and super easy to install. I’ve heard the plastic Honda ones require a bit of cutting. I believe the SuperATV ones took me about 15 min/side.

Reactions: Montecresto
H

HondaTech

I have SuperATV Aluminum lowers and they are nice and super easy to install. I’ve heard the plastic Honda ones require a bit of cutting. I believe the SuperATV ones took me about 15 min/side.

That's probably what I've seen then, the Honda ones take some finagling to make fit and look good.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's probably what I've seen then, the Honda ones take some finagling to make fit and look good.
They are just a piece of AL not double wall but they do the job!

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Anyone tried the McNasty Customz lower doors. Looking at their YouTube video it looks like a pretty good product.

R

RidinRed

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone know where to get the door seal that comes with the lower panels? You get 2 short pieces in the kit for each door. I think you can add more door seal to better seal the gap between the lower panel and door.
Ordered a set of lower doors and sent them back, I will post pictures of some I made soon, I had to try them out first,and I must say I was very pleased and only cost half,though doesn't seal tight it kept the mud out,seeing how Honda has more gaps every were thought it would not matter.no holes drilled,just take outer shell off and it sandwiched between,did find two holes stripped out from factory,just inserted a bigger screw worked great!

R

RidinRed

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I used some auto marine rubber weather seal that I got from Home Depot I put a small strip of it lengthwise in between the bottom of the stock door and on top of the lower door panel I put it more towards the outside I wasn’t concerned about the gaskets that they give me sealing up the doors the problem with the doors is going to be the dirt coming through the crack and falling down into the inside panel of the lower door you must seal that up more towards the outside not the inside if you want to keep the lower door from filling with dirt I am not very good at loading pictures if somebody would call me at 406-909-0119 I will text you the picture of the product I got from Home Depot then you can load it onto the site to help others I believe the reason they sent the gasket that they sent us was to keep the doors more parallel to each other
Why is sealing lower door important there are holes and everywhere?

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just put the Aluminum ones on. Very happy with them. I think they are mounted more solid than the Honda ones. No cutting. What I liked was they were also bolted to the bottom edge of the door. Very nice fit to door.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Add me to the list of people not impressed by the honda lowers. Mine is a 4 seat, the rears fit perfectly, the holes lined up and the gap is even.

The fronts fit like s***, with the middle tabs bolted on, the other tabs were about half a hole off. Then the gap is super uneven as well.

It would also be nice if the instructions were a little more clear. I ended up cutting more than I had to on the first one.

I can't say I've been to happy with any of the aftermarket Honda parts except the soft upper doors. Both front windshields don't seal along the cowel, and the hard rear window bracket holes were off a bunch too. The $300 switch panel that doesn't include the required $60 "sub harness" or include any kind of fuse block.

LilGreenMachine

LilGreenMachine

Dec 9, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Those lowers should come stock, allowing the customer to take them off if desired. Was a pure aftermarket money grab/production savings move on Hondas part. Most of us bought Hondas in part for their reputation. They should never forget that when making these decisions.

Who knows, it might even be a nod to dealers, allowing for them to work in markup on product installation. Not a fan of the decision, whatever the reason.

Same goes for the ridiculous cost/work involved in adding electrical. The other guys got busbars prewired and ready to go, stock. I would have paid another 500+ in sales price for some of this obvious stuff to be nicely integrated from the factory.

Reactions: DRKnight and CID
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Those lowers should come stock, allowing the customer to take them off if desired. Was a pure aftermarket money grab/production savings move on Hondas part. Most of us bought Hondas in part for their reputation. They should never forget that when making these decisions.

Who knows, it might even be a nod to dealers, allowing for them to work in markup on product installation. Not a fan of the decision, whatever the reason.

Same goes for the ridiculous cost/work involved in adding electrical. The other guys got busbars prewired and ready to go, stock. I would have paid another 500+ in sales price for some of this obvious stuff to be nicely integrated from the factory.

I think a lot of the sxs's are aimed at desert, and then sell add ons to suit other terrain. Which makes sense since that's the most economic way to do it. Why sell every machine with full doors when some will take them off? Or you get people complaining about the footwell being to hot.

Personally, I wish I would have waited and got the smoked lexan ones I saw when Google'ing.

Now on the electrical, I totally agree, honda is a joke with electrical. I was talked into their $300 panel when I bought my machine, since it was required for their wiper kit. Go go to install and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Then I look at the instructions again and see the "sold separately" sub harness. Basically a a few plugs and 12" of wire for $55.

Then I realize that their panel is just a piece of plastic and a few wires also. No fuse block. Each honda accessory comes with a ghetto I line fuse. What a joke, I can't imagine what a rat nest it would be with 6 honda accessories.

I ended up returning the panel and sub harness and building my own wiring kit, with 2 different fuse blocks, 1 key on and 1 Pre wired to the switch panel for like $150 including bulk wire and terminals I have a ton left of.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!