Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
hi - question - even if the grounds from accessories were wired to the main battery ground, is that still an issue - ground "should be" ground?

If I did this I would keep it all on second battery ground as well but technically does it matter?
Great question.
I almost posted about the topic and the statement saying that "a ground is a ground" this morning but did not.
---------------
Disclamer, I'm no expert on this; I am self-taught for the most part.
But follow along with me here in my thinking, and then you can decide.

First.. I want to tell you that what you have been taught about power flow is WRONG...
Power does not flow from positive to negative....
It actually flows from the negative to the positive. (Google it).
Yet... another study says both concepts are wrong, and there is no "flow" at all. (see the Veritasium video)
lol.. So take that for what you will.

Now, in regards to the Pioneer and wiring.
The battery is your power bank (source)
Power must return to its source to complete the circuit.
If power leaves source 2, for a truly isolated circuit, it must return to source 2 without interference from other sources.

So, let me ask you... *Using common flow logic of (+) --> (-)
Why would you force the negative current to travel through source 1 (or the frame) in order to complete the circuit and return to source 2?

Let's take a winch wiring example with the positive on the second battery and the negative using the 2018 factory wire ground.
Power leaves source 2 and does its thing.
Current must return to source 2 in some manner, some how.
For this to happen it must pass through the engine, frame, primary battery, bus bar, and finally makes it way to Source 2.
Now, I'm not smart enough to tell you what effects this has on a system but I know for a fact it does.

So, wouldn't a ground straight to the original source be the proper option?
And if it is "proper" for the winch, why is it not "proper" for your other accessories?

Now that you have this information. You can inspect your wiring and eisley pick out what is improper.

Not to discount what you have. It works, SURE. But is it proper?
The amount of current usage will dictate how long your setup lasts.

I choose a 100% isolated secondary circuit (secondary battery system).
Everything that is pulled from source 2, returns to source 2.
I also do not run a combined bus between Source 1 & 2.
I do have a negative bus, but it flows directly to source 2.

I hope that helps explain the importance of choosing a proper ground I am trying to make.
Thanks.

-------------------
Google it - does battery power travel positive to negative or positive - Google Search
Veritasium - The Big Misconception About Electricity

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Great question.
I almost posted about the topic and the statement saying that "a ground is a ground" this morning but did not.
---------------
Disclamer, I'm no expert on this; I am self-taught for the most part.
But follow along with me here in my thinking, and then you can decide.

First.. I want to tell you that what you have been taught about power flow is WRONG...
Power does not flow from positive to negative....
It actually flows from the negative to the positive. (Google it).
Yet... another study says both concepts are wrong, and there is no "flow" at all. (see the Veritasium video)
lol.. So take that for what you will.

Now, in regards to the Pioneer and wiring.
The battery is your power bank (source)
Power must return to its source to complete the circuit.
If power leaves source 2, for a truly isolated circuit, it must return to source 2 without interference from other sources.

So, let me ask you... *Using common flow logic of (+) --> (-)
Why would you force the negative current to travel through source 1 (or the frame) in order to complete the circuit and return to source 2?

Let's take a winch wiring example with the positive on the second battery and the negative using the 2018 factory wire ground.
Power leaves source 2 and does its thing.
Current must return to source 2 in some manner, some how.
For this to happen it must pass through the engine, frame, primary battery, bus bar, and finally makes it way to Source 2.
Now, I'm not smart enough to tell you what effects this has on a system but I know for a fact it does.

So, wouldn't a ground straight to the original source be the proper option?
And if it is "proper" for the winch, why is it not "proper" for your other accessories?

Now that you have this information. You can inspect your wiring and eisley pick out what is improper.

Not to discount what you have. It works, SURE. But is it proper?
The amount of current usage will dictate how long your setup lasts.

I choose a 100% isolated secondary circuit (secondary battery system).
Everything that is pulled from source 2, returns to source 2.
I also do not run a combined bus between Source 1 & 2.
I do have a negative bus, but it flows directly to source 2.

I hope that helps explain the importance of choosing a proper ground I am trying to make.
Thanks.

-------------------
Google it - does battery power travel positive to negative or positive - Google Search
Veritasium - The Big Misconception About Electricity
thanks - interesting ........:)

Reactions: ChadD
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs , glad you explained it. Reminded me to go look and sure enough the auxiliary fuse panel ground was connected to the primary battery from before I had the 2nd battery. Got it moved today to the auxiliary battery.

M

Melvin35

Dec 20, 2022
IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
so it died again, im wondering if there’s some sort of short somewhere

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
so it died again, im wondering if there’s some sort of short somewhere

-have main battery tested -Cmon man

-if main is good - disconnect everything added - What has been added - we still don’t know

-do u have. Wireless winch?

if you have a descent meter - move the leads to the amp connections on the meter and DC Milliamps and connect from negative to frame -there will be a very slight draw - but that will tell u You f u have a short

But step 1 first