P1000 Major disappointment

W

wi4wheel

Dec 4, 2015
I picked up my 1000-5 Pioneer 2 weeks ago. I like the machine, but have been let down by Honda’s attempt at enclosing this machine. It seems as though they just slapped something together quick to get it out on the market. Here are my observations…

My initial reaction at the dealership was disappointment in the engineering of the front soft doors (especially coming from Honda). I don’t like the fact that you have to close the door, then grab a Velcro strap and yank it tight to the roll bar at the top of the door EVERY TIME you want to close the front doors. First of all, it's hard to do, and secondly it doesn't work well. After 2 days of use, the Velcro on the driver’s side failed to hold the door tight and a 2” or more gap across the front/top would open itself up when I drove more than 30 MPH. Needless to say, this wasn’t much fun in the rain. I talked a lot with the dealer and basically his Honda rep told him that I need to bring it in and have it checked out. I was told that there just aren’t enough of these machines with soft sided front doors out and about yet for people to report problems to Honda. After riding around in this machine for a week, I couldn’t take it anymore and bit the bullet and dished out the extra $2000 for the hard doors. I get them put on early next week, and I sure hope I’m happier with them than what I was with the soft doors that are held on by Velcro! In addition, the little black strap that runs through the soft door to the inside of the factory bottom door handle came off at least 6 times so far, which then requires me to open the back soft door, and reach in to manually open the front door with the handle. This is happening on a machine with less than 100 miles on it, HOW is this design ever going to hold up to any real use???

As far as the soft back doors go, they need some help too. The top, bottom, and front side fit fine, but the back side has a 1.5” open gap where I think it should fit tight against the rear roll bar. This gap allows mud to fly into the rear storage compartment from the floor to the roll bar at the top, or to splatter a passenger’s shoulders and arms. Seems like a slightly different bend, and 2” more material would fix this gap and make me a lot happier. Also, if you are a passenger in the back, expect to get your feet wet and muddy because the design of the rear factory door along the bottom allows for a lot of slop to splash in.

I bought the windshield with the wiper on it. The first time I had it out in the rain, I noticed 5 areas that leaked water. The rubber wrap that goes around the actual windshield had a leak where the seams met up at the bottom of the glass (why not put a seam like that on the top of the glass???). In addition, there were gaps between the hood and the outer windshield molding that I could see through, one of which was big enough to stick a pencil through. While it wasn’t a huge stream of water, for what I paid, I was expecting a nice tight seal that would at least keep my lap dry when it rained.

For the record, let me state that I am a HUGE Honda fan, and have been waiting for them to put a 5 seater out for a long time. I’m a farmer/hunter/trapper that USES my Hondas every day, and yes they get used for EVERYTHING. I am not an engineer, but here are a couple thoughts that I would really love answers to…

WHO takes these accessories out and tries them? Does anyone in the Honda development team actually ride a machine in the rain or mud before marketing accessories worth thousands of dollars??? If anyone from Honda actually reads this post, please feel free to contact me if you need someone who USES a machine to actually test new products before putting them on the market.

While I realize these HONDA cab accessories are not meant to seal up the 1000-5 air tight, it would be nice to ride around in a $24,000 machine without getting wet and muddy. I enclosed this side by side because I knew I’d be using it in crappy weather. Am I asking too much??? (Yes, please answer this question!)
I’ve come to expect the best from Honda over the years. They really let me down this time…I never thought I’d say this, but Polaris has a MUCH better soft door system. It really hurts me to admit that, but it’s the truth.

As a side note, the dealership has been great to work with and they are taking the soft doors back, and giving me full credit for them towards the hard door price. They seem stuck in the middle on all this because there doesn’t seem to be much support from Honda, but they are doing as much as possible to help me out.

Reactions: Chadwick1968
blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015
No............you're not asking too much. I, like I'm assuming yourself and most of the members on the site, do not have an unlimited disposable income for my side by side or anything else for that matter.

I am not blindly brand loyal. I want the best most reliable piece of equipment I can buy for my hard earned money. For the better part of my life, that just so happened to be Honda brand equipment when it came to motorcycles, atv's, utv's, mowers, pressure washers (you get the idea). I've owned machines from all the major manufacturers and always came back to Honda strictly from a reliability standpoint.

It's disturbing to me that problems like yours are showing themselves so soon in a vehicle that they consider their flagship in the side by side division.

If it isn't asking too much, could you provide some pictures of the problem areas with your top and doors? It would be helpful to other members considering the additional expense for their machines.

Reactions: Chadwick1968
adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
Definitly not asking to much. when you pay for something it should work right. But i couldnt help but chuckle when i read this " it would be nice to ride around in a $24,000 machine without getting wet and muddy." and thought back to the early years on my 3 wheeler when that was the whole point of riding . LOL . Hard to believe how far this game has come.

T

Tritonman

Dec 2, 2013
I got the chance to see a white 1000 yesterday. Looked very nice. This dealer also was selling the koplin/moose cab and I think I will wait for that co come out for the 1000. They had one mounted up on a 700 and it was a better mousetrap

winnscollision

winnscollision

Aug 24, 2013
Saluda SC
I picked up my 1000-5 Pioneer 2 weeks ago. I like the machine, but have been let down by Honda’s attempt at enclosing this machine. It seems as though they just slapped something together quick to get it out on the market. Here are my observations…

My initial reaction at the dealership was disappointment in the engineering of the front soft doors (especially coming from Honda). I don’t like the fact that you have to close the door, then grab a Velcro strap and yank it tight to the roll bar at the top of the door EVERY TIME you want to close the front doors. First of all, it's hard to do, and secondly it doesn't work well. After 2 days of use, the Velcro on the driver’s side failed to hold the door tight and a 2” or more gap across the front/top would open itself up when I drove more than 30 MPH. Needless to say, this wasn’t much fun in the rain. I talked a lot with the dealer and basically his Honda rep told him that I need to bring it in and have it checked out. I was told that there just aren’t enough of these machines with soft sided front doors out and about yet for people to report problems to Honda. After riding around in this machine for a week, I couldn’t take it anymore and bit the bullet and dished out the extra $2000 for the hard doors. I get them put on early next week, and I sure hope I’m happier with them than what I was with the soft doors that are held on by Velcro! In addition, the little black strap that runs through the soft door to the inside of the factory bottom door handle came off at least 6 times so far, which then requires me to open the back soft door, and reach in to manually open the front door with the handle. This is happening on a machine with less than 100 miles on it, HOW is this design ever going to hold up to any real use???

As far as the soft back doors go, they need some help too. The top, bottom, and front side fit fine, but the back side has a 1.5” open gap where I think it should fit tight against the rear roll bar. This gap allows mud to fly into the rear storage compartment from the floor to the roll bar at the top, or to splatter a passenger’s shoulders and arms. Seems like a slightly different bend, and 2” more material would fix this gap and make me a lot happier. Also, if you are a passenger in the back, expect to get your feet wet and muddy because the design of the rear factory door along the bottom allows for a lot of slop to splash in.

I bought the windshield with the wiper on it. The first time I had it out in the rain, I noticed 5 areas that leaked water. The rubber wrap that goes around the actual windshield had a leak where the seams met up at the bottom of the glass (why not put a seam like that on the top of the glass???). In addition, there were gaps between the hood and the outer windshield molding that I could see through, one of which was big enough to stick a pencil through. While it wasn’t a huge stream of water, for what I paid, I was expecting a nice tight seal that would at least keep my lap dry when it rained.

For the record, let me state that I am a HUGE Honda fan, and have been waiting for them to put a 5 seater out for a long time. I’m a farmer/hunter/trapper that USES my Hondas every day, and yes they get used for EVERYTHING. I am not an engineer, but here are a couple thoughts that I would really love answers to…

WHO takes these accessories out and tries them? Does anyone in the Honda development team actually ride a machine in the rain or mud before marketing accessories worth thousands of dollars??? If anyone from Honda actually reads this post, please feel free to contact me if you need someone who USES a machine to actually test new products before putting them on the market.

While I realize these HONDA cab accessories are not meant to seal up the 1000-5 air tight, it would be nice to ride around in a $24,000 machine without getting wet and muddy. I enclosed this side by side because I knew I’d be using it in crappy weather. Am I asking too much??? (Yes, please answer this question!)
I’ve come to expect the best from Honda over the years. They really let me down this time…I never thought I’d say this, but Polaris has a MUCH better soft door system. It really hurts me to admit that, but it’s the truth.

As a side note, the dealership has been great to work with and they are taking the soft doors back, and giving me full credit for them towards the hard door price. They seem stuck in the middle on all this because there doesn’t seem to be much support from Honda, but they are doing as much as possible to help me out.

Well I have already bought the dang soft doors and two piece windshield and haven't even got my camo 1000-5 yet!. I had them on my Pioneer 1000 and did have to rig it a little bit to make it more water resistant. The doors would flap open like you were talking about at the top and if I was going very far at a pretty good speed had to use a bungee across to the top of the doors! Windshield leaks were easily fixed with some peel and stick weather stripping. I understand that the soft doors are not gonna be air tight but was really hoping they would have improved it on the 1000! I figured with the rear doors opening upward and latching on the door it would be more rigid and not suck them open like your are talking about. I guess the Velcro on the front is like my bungee idea and Honda thinks this is there solution. This means Honda had a one latch open and close for the Pioneer 700 and was EASY and FAST to get in and out!! NOW with the NEW 1000, you will have to undo Velcro at the top of the door and then the bottom latch to get out. And on the back you will have to first let up the gull wing door and then open the regular door!! What the heck am I gonna do with my BEER while my hands are undoing all these dang straps and handles?! guess its a good thing I bought the extra cup holders for the doors?!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyingpig
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
For the price you paid for these accessories, they better work. And being a Honda product they should work - Honda's credibility takes a hit when they release products like this.

Honda is obviously in a rush to get their new machine out the door - Release the machine first and let the accessories come to market when they are ready. We would all be grumbling about that delay but at least we're not throwing thousands of dollars at inferiors products.

Reactions: Hallboy88
winnscollision

winnscollision

Aug 24, 2013
Saluda SC
For the price you paid for these accessories, they better work. And being a Honda product they should work - Honda's credibility takes a hit when they release products like this.

Honda is obviously in a rush to get their new machine out the door - Release the machine first and let the accessories come to market when they are ready. We would all be grumbling about that delay but at least we're not throwing thousands of dollars at inferiors products.

Exactly! And I have been considering the Honda Heater but if the machine is not going to be sealed up well who knows if the heater will even Help, OR better yet even Heat up enough to be worth it($800)!? Is the design of the heater going to work well or will it be like the 700 where the coolant didn't get hot enough to eat efficiently? I think they ended up using the oil lines instead of water to fix that problem!? I don't know might just wear a bigger jacket?!

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Probably buy a nice jeep with heater ,air conditioner stereo and be nice and dry when it rains for $24 grand.
More people need to think like this in all honesty. The pricing on these, for what they are, would be considered to be out of control.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
It is interesting when you think about it. I had a suzuki samurai a few years back that was very similar in size to these large sxs machines. It was street legal, had heat/ac, stereo, full top, seats 4, would pretty much go anywhere and run forever... probably had 3-4k in that machine. I guess the main diff is going fast over rough terrain, it didnt do that too well!

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
It is interesting when you think about it. I had a suzuki samurai a few years back that was very similar in size to these large sxs machines. It was street legal, had heat/ac, stereo, full top, seats 4, would pretty much go anywhere and run forever... probably had 3-4k in that machine. I guess the main diff is going fast over rough terrain, it didnt do that too well!
What do you think you could have done in it speed wise if you would have put 10k in the suspension? You still would have about 10k left for accessories.

J

jokerperry

Nov 16, 2015
Alberta Canada
This thread scares me I bought all the same things and am bringing my P1000-3 in to get installed heater and all and living in northern Canada I hope it seals up.

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Sxs pricing is out of control there is no doubt about that. But I think anyone is a bit silly if they think when they buy a cab for one that it is going to be as good as their pickup truck. If it came with some sort of cab that wasnt an option mabye it could be expected to be better but heck it doesnt even come with a roof as standard option. Sxs were supposed to be a cheap alternative to using your jeep offroad now people want all the comforts of their vehicle.lol. Unfortunately the optional cabs and heaters arent as good and cost more andthe consumer should know that by now.

Reactions: allgm1
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Sxs pricing is out of control there is no doubt about that. But I think anyone is a bit silly if they think when they buy a cab for one that it is going to be as good as their pickup truck. If it came with some sort of cab that wasnt an option mabye it could be expected to be better but heck it doesnt even come with a roof as standard option. Sxs were supposed to be a cheap alternative to using your jeep offroad now people want all the comforts of their vehicle.lol. Unfortunately the optional cabs and heaters arent as good and cost more andthe consumer should know that by now.
Oh, i am much more than just a bit silly! Lol.
But a Pioneer 1000 frame is how much? An older fuel injected Goldwing engine can be had for less than $1k and i hear take off parts for factory Pioneers are going really cheap....

Last edited:
B

Bevo1971

Oct 19, 2015
You just need to know that you are not buying a car. No-one ever said it was going to be an air tight fit. enjoy your new ride

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's just too bad and embarrassing at the same time to know these are our factory options if we choose to stay clean, dry, hot, cool or we just like the way it looks. The point is they offer it for big money so should be backed up with R&D even if only canvas and steel rod.

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
I agree for the MONEY they charge it should be good fitting and water tight for rain and snow.

P

Pioneer1k

Oct 18, 2015
First off I would consider myself a very skilled mechanic and fabricator I own an excavating/commercial building biz and do all of my own repairs such as engines, transmissions, hydraulics pretty much anything that breaks as well as fabricating new parts and improvements. I have owned many polaris rzrs the last one I had was a rzr 1000 that I made into a full tube mini bouncer. So I am no stranger to turning wrenches on these machines.

I have 1000 5 seater and I installed the soft doors myself and they seem to seal up good considering there is a 1/2 inch gap in the lower doors that come on it. I think the problem with the accessories is the dealers installing them the honda instructions for these accessories are vague and there is a lot of custom work that has to be done they don't just bolt on. To install the soft doors you have to print out a drill template then tape it together then tape it on the lower door and it doesn't line up exactly on the molded plastic and leaves you with about 1/4 in variance on where to place it. Then you have to drill the holes and install these rivets for the screws and not over tighten them because it distorts the plastic ect and none of the details are in the crappy black and white drawings in the instructions. So there is so many steps that can get screwed up by and incompetent dealer service guy that probably has zero training on these new accessories and the first few installs will be his learning curve.

I am currently installing the heater now this is the biggest pain in the ass ever!! You have to completely disassemble the machine the only plastic that stays on is the front hood. It is down to the bare frame and again you are masking taping plastic and drilling holes all over the place based off of crappy instructions. The instructions do not tell you how you run the vent lines there is so much stuff in the way wires drive shaft ect than can damage these dryer vent hose fabric lines. If one gets damaged you have to take the machine all apart just to fix it. So I would be very cautious letting the dealer install the heater there is so much guessing and decisions that have to be made by the installer like to I go over or under that wire? Do I go under the steering column or over it ect... you get the picture.
Oh and it mounts to the floor under the seat on a 1/4 inch piece of plastic if you drive in mud or water deep enough to you feet wet the heater will die.

Bottom line is installing these accessories is like doing full custom work and if the installer sucks so will the accessories. The best mechanics are not working at atv dealerships..... just saying.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pioneer, good point on the installation and mechanics. It stinks of no real thoughtful design though. Over at Heavy Equipment Forums one the the mechanics has a saying "A good mechanic isn't expensive.....he is priceless" (paraphrasing)

I rely on those priceless guys because if I were to attempt what you are doing I would take a flame thrower to it 60 minutes in.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
First off I would consider myself a very skilled mechanic and fabricator I own an excavating/commercial building biz and do all of my own repairs such as engines, transmissions, hydraulics pretty much anything that breaks as well as fabricating new parts and improvements. I have owned many polaris rzrs the last one I had was a rzr 1000 that I made into a full tube mini bouncer. So I am no stranger to turning wrenches on these machines.

I have 1000 5 seater and I installed the soft doors myself and they seem to seal up good considering there is a 1/2 inch gap in the lower doors that come on it. I think the problem with the accessories is the dealers installing them the honda instructions for these accessories are vague and there is a lot of custom work that has to be done they don't just bolt on. To install the soft doors you have to print out a drill template then tape it together then tape it on the lower door and it doesn't line up exactly on the molded plastic and leaves you with about 1/4 in variance on where to place it. Then you have to drill the holes and install these rivets for the screws and not over tighten them because it distorts the plastic ect and none of the details are in the crappy black and white drawings in the instructions. So there is so many steps that can get screwed up by and incompetent dealer service guy that probably has zero training on these new accessories and the first few installs will be his learning curve.

I am currently installing the heater now this is the biggest pain in the ass ever!! You have to completely disassemble the machine the only plastic that stays on is the front hood. It is down to the bare frame and again you are masking taping plastic and drilling holes all over the place based off of crappy instructions. The instructions do not tell you how you run the vent lines there is so much stuff in the way wires drive shaft ect than can damage these dryer vent hose fabric lines. If one gets damaged you have to take the machine all apart just to fix it. So I would be very cautious letting the dealer install the heater there is so much guessing and decisions that have to be made by the installer like to I go over or under that wire? Do I go under the steering column or over it ect... you get the picture.
Oh and it mounts to the floor under the seat on a 1/4 inch piece of plastic if you drive in mud or water deep enough to you feet wet the heater will die.

Bottom line is installing these accessories is like doing full custom work and if the installer sucks so will the accessories. The best mechanics are not working at atv dealerships..... just saying.

Does the heater use up the storage area under the drivers seat. Can you run a vent or two out under the seat to lessen the load under the dash?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!