Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Got a little board tonight - been building a new deck and needed a break so I thought I would start on a trail down through our woods. It is REALLY steep (can't tell in the photo) and was off camber to the point you may roll in the P500 if you went down there so I started cutting a trail. Only had an hour and didn't have the chain saw handy but got off to a decent start (only about 40 or so yards for now)...... If nothing else it will allow us to get to the lower part of the hill if my son want to hunt it.
IMG 2148
IMG 2149 1

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Funny - came home tonight and had two deer standing on the trail! Looks like it may be a GOOD spot!!! Figured it overlooked several deer trails but it now seems the deer have already claimed it!

Reactions: sharp
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
A steep hill in West Virginia? Hard to believe.;)

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Yep, never see them!! LOL

Cut about a 4' shelf just to level it out. After the turn at the bottom it is so darn steep I will have to do some switch backs to be able to work my way down it!

Flat land is rare, flat land that doesn't flood is even more rare.....

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, never see them!! LOL

Cut about a 4' shelf just to level it out. After the turn at the bottom it is so darn steep I will have to do some switch backs to be able to work my way down it!

Flat land is rare, flat land that doesn't flood is even more rare.....
That's cool dude, did you cut that with a tractor???

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Kind of - I bought a Kubota mini excavator this summer so I was using it to rough everything in. I did a final grade/finish cut with my tractor and a 7' rear angled blade. Wanted to get a good trail over the back hill, now to start on cutting a lot longer trail down over the front hill so we can get to the bottom of our property easily. Right now it is basically impossible on anything but foot!

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kind of - I bought a Kubota mini excavator this summer so I was using it to rough everything in. I did a final grade/finish cut with my tractor and a 7' rear angled blade. Wanted to get a good trail over the back hill, now to start on cutting a lot longer trail down over the front hill so we can get to the bottom of our property easily. Right now it is basically impossible on anything but foot!
This sounds cool. Did you just recently buy this property? Sounds like your house is on a hill with a steep approach front and back, should mean good views both ways. A mini excavator? That's a rather odd purchase, they are kind of task specific, you could use that on your property more than a utility tractor? Anyway, I like your property, and seeing you work it. How about a picture of your deck?

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
We have owned the house for almost 10 years but have been working on the area around the house (aka the yard) and the inside of the house. Now that almost everything is remodeled inside I am doing the decks and working on the "woods". We basically do sit on the top of the hill and the overlook woods in 3 of 4 directions.
A mini ex is sort of specialized but it is sometimes surprising what all you can use them for. I have used it for loading and unloading several items (like a mini crane), used it to for moving a propane tank (500 gallon tank with 250 gallons in it), removing some old concrete, dig around a larger trees (90') and drop them, then cut them up and stack the 8' logs on the trailer for the mill with the mini, etc.
We have a Kubota utility tractor (50hp) and a small Kubota TLB (tractor loader backhoe - takes a mower deck also) that we use a lot so the mini is to supplement the wheeled eqpt. I am getting close to being able to retire so I plan on doing some work on the side with the machines to make some extra money down the road.
Now my goal is opening up some of our woods and chipping and burning all the junk and old dead stuff.
As for the deck - only have this one photo - still working on it (bad photo and not everything is done yet and dusty from new gravel being put down). The "deck" is on 3 sides of the house, 4th side is an enclosed sunroom. The "deck" is a project that I hope to have ⅔ done this year. front deck 8'x48', side 6'x40' and rear is going to be done next year will be 12'x48', all are elevated anywhere from about 2' to 12 foot. It is a project.
Also started a 2nd trail... Photo attached
2nd trail

Mid build deck

Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We have owned the house for almost 10 years but have been working on the area around the house (aka the yard) and the inside of the house. Now that almost everything is remodeled inside I am doing the decks and working on the "woods". We basically do sit on the top of the hill and the overlook woods in 3 of 4 directions.
A mini ex is sort of specialized but it is sometimes surprising what all you can use them for. I have used it for loading and unloading several items (like a mini crane), used it to for moving a propane tank (500 gallon tank with 250 gallons in it), removing some old concrete, dig around a larger trees (90') and drop them, then cut them up and stack the 8' logs on the trailer for the mill with the mini, etc.
We have a Kubota utility tractor (50hp) and a small Kubota TLB (tractor loader backhoe - takes a mower deck also) that we use a lot so the mini is to supplement the wheeled eqpt. I am getting close to being able to retire so I plan on doing some work on the side with the machines to make some extra money down the road.
Now my goal is opening up some of our woods and chipping and burning all the junk and old dead stuff.
As for the deck - only have this one photo - still working on it (bad photo and not everything is done yet and dusty from new gravel being put down). The "deck" is on 3 sides of the house, 4th side is an enclosed sunroom. The "deck" is a project that I hope to have ⅔ done this year. front deck 8'x48', side 6'x40' and rear is going to be done next year will be 12'x48', all are elevated anywhere from about 2' to 12 foot. It is a project.
View attachment 22232

View attachment 22231
Thanks Code. Lovely property, nice looking deck, ambitious project. That's cool you have utility tractors too.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
J

JTW

View attachment 22232

View attachment 22231
With a mini and skid steer you can do just about any kind of work you want! That's what a lot of the excavators guys around here are going to.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks ! The deck is a project but what else would I be doing, riding or something.........

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!