Maps/tracking apps

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey all, what are you guys use when you're out riding to track your rides?

For the longest time I've been using a tablet mounted to my dash running Polaris ride command but it's pretty basic and not very impressive.

I had a buddy tell me about Back Country Navigator Pro, it's $15 and similar to Polaris ride command but still not very impressed.

Curious if you guys have any recommendations on current maps or apps that people use to share riding locations. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks all,

Does anyone know of any place that stores maps that are user based? It'll be awesome to see people upload their copy of local trails.

I know BobTs maps works for back country navigation, and there's a lot of maps for West Virginia. While I'm in PA, I'd like to see a lot of user-based submissions showing all the trails. So at this rate GAIA may be better, just hoping that there's a section to download trails that are already mapped out.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Hey all, what are you guys use when you're out riding to track your rides?

For the longest time I've been using a tablet mounted to my dash running Polaris ride command but it's pretty basic and not very impressive.

I had a buddy tell me about Back Country Navigator Pro, it's $15 and similar to Polaris ride command but still not very impressed.

Curious if you guys have any recommendations on current maps or apps that people use to share riding locations. Thanks in advance!

I have GAIA , Ride Command , and Motion-x . GAIA is the best all around . Ride Command is fun because it puts all the pictures you take along the ride in place and it's fun to watch and share afterwards . Motion-x is good but not as user friendly as the other two .

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have tried a few and GAIA just works. Ride Command is pretty cool but my tablet isn't all that powerful and RC uses a lot of resources and ran on my tablet super slow so I uninstalled it.

There are plenty of maps/routes/trails out there for GAIA, you can track and make your own and you can import almost any format. Easy to work on your desktop/laptop and make maps and they simply download/sync to your tablet when you open the app.

I try and plot out a variety of routes for the area I will be in advance at home and just sync a whole bunch of trails and pick where I go on the fly. If you have a tablet with built in GPS, then there is no need for cell service once the routes are synced.

advertisement
Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
OnX is what we all use also.

D

denniswestfall

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2018
US
I use a free gps app called OsmAnd in the northeast with maps from GPS Trailmasters. I use it on a Samsung tablet in the talon, and on my Galaxy phone on my snowmobile.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!