Racerhed

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ashland OH
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X LV
I’m throwing a new thread up. What are you all running for terrain/ gps/ maps and display? I like the Garmin Tread but, they’re right pride o’ their bundle o’ chips! Also too, is anyone running a low mount wide angle (back-up) camera? Seems like they’d just get muddy and be useless.
thanks for the help!!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok, Ill bite….
Garmin Overlander with VVMapping loaded. Used it the last 3 yr and its fantastic

You know your gonna get a $hit ton of opinions here right? Plus theres 50-60 threads in the search on this subject. Well maybe not 50-60 but dam close 🤣

And yeah, a low mount cam will work great if your a black topper and less than 5 min off road with mud covering it or ripped off.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
went up high, not useless....

IMG 8481

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I use the $29 GAIA GPS on the iPad my Sister bought me 😊 (I'm too redneck to buy apple anything). I love that it saves my tracks, seemingly forever, and I can view it on any device I own, like my Windows desktop, android cell and iPad.

1500 miles of smiles over 3 weeks in southern Utah -

8 days/700 miles, not counting trailer time -

Last edited:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I’m throwing a new thread up. What are you all running for terrain/ gps/ maps and display? I like the Garmin Tread but, they’re right pride o’ their bundle o’ chips! Also too, is anyone running a low mount wide angle (back-up) camera? Seems like they’d just get muddy and be useless.
thanks for the help!!
GAIA

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm using VVMapping & a Samsung tablet, have been using VVM on my sleds ever since he started making them.....10 yrs or so.

It's really gonna depend on what region you want. For MI, WI, MN VVMapping has the best thing going, his Appalachia maps are getting better but I think there's better options out there.

Racerhed

Racerhed

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ashland OH
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X LV
I'm using VVMapping & a Samsung tablet, have been using VVM on my sleds ever since he started making them.....10 yrs or so.

It's really gonna depend on what region you want. For MI, WI, MN VVMapping has the best thing going, his Appalachia maps are getting better but I think there's better options out there.
I go both ways…..Wait, I go to Michigan and TN. 😜 Now that we have the Talon I’ll be headed to WV and KY to the Hatfield and McCoy trail system as well.
Some of the units have 3D maps which has a cool factor. I’ve been using the Polaris maps and am generally okay with the system but, I know there are other options especially if I can get some shared rides from other members. Thanks for the inputs so far.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I go both ways…..Wait, I go to Michigan and TN. 😜 Now that we have the Talon I’ll be headed to WV and KY to the Hatfield and McCoy trail system as well.
Some of the units have 3D maps which has a cool factor. I’ve been using the Polaris maps and am generally okay with the system but, I know there are other options especially if I can get some shared rides from other members. Thanks for the inputs so far.
You can't go wrong w VVM, he started with just snowmobile maps then after MI opened up for ATV/SxS about 10-12 yrs ago he started doing those as well. For the Upper Midwest they can't be beat. His Appalachia maps are good and getting better (regular updates), I've used them all over RRB and never got lost 😆

VVMapping.com - GPS and Printable Maps - Snowmobile and ORV Trails

Racerhed

Racerhed

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ashland OH
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X LV
Ok, Ill bite….
Garmin Overlander with VVMapping loaded. Used it the last 3 yr and its fantastic

You know your gonna get a $hit ton of opinions here right? Plus theres 50-60 threads in the search on this subject. Well maybe not 50-60 but dam close 🤣

And yeah, a low mount cam will work great if your a black topper and less than 5 min off road with mud covering it or ripped off.
I clicked the search button and typed “preferred gps”, “best GPS,” only “GPS”(that one returned so many results the internet broke). With the first two I got no results. Then again I may actually be too ignorant of the way the search function works or how the site architecture is constructed to conduct a search correctly so I started a new thread (in frustration). I’ll look around more and try to figure it out. Although after I ask this one question. Do I need to start my search from the forum topic (say Talon General)? Because searching from the main forum page where I land when I sign in yields zero results.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I clicked the search button and typed “preferred gps”, “best GPS,” only “GPS”(that one returned so many results the internet broke). With the first two I got no results. Then again I may actually be too ignorant of the way the search function works or how the site architecture is constructed to conduct a search correctly so I started a new thread (in frustration). I’ll look around more and try to figure it out. Although after I ask this one question. Do I need to start my search from the forum topic (say Talon General)? Because searching from the main forum page where I land when I sign in yields zero results.
Nope, use the threadloom results. It goes deeper in the forum

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Free. And better. Run it on your phone or a tablet.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I've only seen threadloom show up once or twice, it isn't showing up now? What am I doing wrong? Another search problem - it doesn't recognize 3 letter search terms like GPS.
I haven’t checked it in about a week. Haven’t had to get on it. Just did though. And yes it is gone. And I noticed that it doesn’t recognize GPS anymore. Somethings all fubared @Hondasxs

Reactions: Smittyp and CID
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I still use an app called US TOPO zone, with maps downloaded to an old deactivated cell phone. Lately, I've been getting better with Gaia, and using it some. I like the "Historic" maps it has.

Reactions: Smittyp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya.
The good search was discontinued by Threadloom last month.
Well, discontinued only to those forums that will not sell out to the Toronto Star.
This also included the weekly newsletter. :mad:

I am working on an Enhanced Search but it may be next month as it requires some server backend work.
The current search does kinda suck.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!