New 2024 SHOWA Shocks - Questions and Answers.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
But still 50 years after this, we can't have Pre-load and rebound adjustment ?

Screenshot 20240614 135643 Facebook

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did they think ahead and use a common Honda size to adjust the nut? 12/14/17/19mm etc?
Will the wrench be included in the onboard tool kit?
If memory serves me correctly it’s a 12mm for the high speed dampening nut, and a standard flat screwdriver for the low speed dampening. Haven’t looked to see if it’s in the tool kit.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Rebound adjusters on offroad shocks are not really needed. You want the tire to get back to the terrain as quickly as possible without bouncing and don't want the shock to start packing because it can't rebound fast enough.

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Rebound adjusters on offroad shocks are not really needed. You want the tire to get back to the terrain as quickly as possible without bouncing and don't want the shock to start packing because it can't rebound fast enough.
Having the choice. I will take rebound adjustment over not having it every time. Deal breaker no

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's a bad idea to go backwards with product development. They delivered the original Talon with two springs and crossovers, copying what the off-road market has been using for decades. It even had newbs like myself thinkin' - Hey, I'm cool, I got crossover technology just like the big kidz. :cool:

And now they want me to go to the fookin' aftermarket for something that came stock 5 years ago? Really, really, BAD idea Honda. #middlefinger

Really p!issed off about this back-step. I was thinking about upgrading to get the new power steering, better DCT programming and what I thought was better shock damping (I rode in and drove a '23 Talon X and it's stock suspension was better than my stock shocks or replacement set of Shock Therapy worked shocks on my Talon R).
All true, I went live valve no regrets

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
It's a bad idea to go backwards with product development. They delivered the original Talon with two springs and crossovers, copying what the off-road market has been using for decades. It even had newbs like myself thinkin' - Hey, I'm cool, I got crossover technology just like the big kidz. :cool:

And now they want me to go to the fookin' aftermarket for something that came stock 5 years ago? Really, really, BAD idea Honda. #middlefinger

Really p!issed off about this back-step. I was thinking about upgrading to get the new power steering, better DCT programming and what I thought was better shock damping (I rode in and drove a '23 Talon X and it's stock suspension was better than my stock shocks or replacement set of Shock Therapy worked shocks on my Talon R).

hi hi - the great s***ty shock (and fork) saga will never end - we all b****ed and still do about this on dirt bikes forever - bottom line - most that want comfort, race, need to be setup, etc. for the area they ride - and b**** and spend money to fix it, including me.....

I am not sure this will ever end, except if ya buy a poo poo - im annoyed as well that Honda is so far off the radar screen.

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
hi hi - the great s***ty shock (and fork) saga will never end - we all b****ed and still do about this on dirt bikes forever - bottom line - most that want comfort, race, need to be setup, etc. for the area they ride - and b**** and spend money to fix it, including me.....

I am not sure this will ever end, except if ya buy a poo poo - im annoyed as well that Honda is so far off the radar screen.
Lot of things come in to factor and not everybody is the same. You mentioned race bikes. That area for sure. How I tuned , valved my equipment for me might not be optimum for someone else. Accurate rider feedback is very important to getting the best setup

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The 2025 base Talons may have a red color choice and we should know a lot more about the Showa shocks. There may be spacers available if more preload is needed. I'm selling my 2019 Talon R next year and will buy a 2025 Talon R. My 2023 Talon R 4 seat needs more ride height. I have a lot of weight in the back, so I need at least 2 inches more. I may have to replace the tender spring but not sure yet. The FLV is the only choice for a 4 seat Talon R, and it is working good enough to satisfy most owners.

advertisement