New 2024 SHOWA Shocks - Questions and Answers.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can almost guarantee that the shock body is grooved for a snap ring and that's what holds the top collar in position on the shock. A threaded collar can be slid over the shock and retained with said snap ring to make them dual rate/adjustable. Low end Bilistein(sp) coilovers are built this way and so are most hotrod style coilovers. While it sucks that the shocks don't have threaded bodies it's also not the end of the world.

Whoever is the first to make replacement threaded collars and crossover rings for these will be selling them like hot cakes if done right.
It's a bad idea to go backwards with product development. They delivered the original Talon with two springs and crossovers, copying what the off-road market has been using for decades. It even had newbs like myself thinkin' - Hey, I'm cool, I got crossover technology just like the big kidz. :cool:

And now they want me to go to the fookin' aftermarket for something that came stock 5 years ago? Really, really, BAD idea Honda. #middlefinger

Really p!issed off about this back-step. I was thinking about upgrading to get the new power steering, better DCT programming and what I thought was better shock damping (I rode in and drove a '23 Talon X and it's stock suspension was better than my stock shocks or replacement set of Shock Therapy worked shocks on my Talon R).

Last edited:
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
It's a bad idea to go backwards with product development. They delivered the original Talon with two springs and crossovers, copying what the off-road market has been using for decades. It even made newbs like myself thinkin' - Hey, I'm cool, I got crossover technology just like the big kidz. :cool:

And now they want me to go to the fookin' aftermarket for something that came stock 5 years ago? Really, really, BAD idea Honda. #middlefinger

Really p!issed off about this back-step. I was thinking about upgrading to get the new power steering, better DCT programming and what I thought was better shock damping (I rode in and drove a '23 Talon X and it's stock suspension was better than my stock shocks or replacement set of Shock Therapy worked shocks on my Talon R).
Couldn't have said it better. Sounds like the perfect upgrade would be takeoffs from earlier Talon R. There are a lot of folks who purchase a Talon and never drive them to their potential. Maybe this move is geared towards these folks?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Couldn't have said it better. Sounds like the perfect upgrade would be takeoffs from earlier Talon R. There are a lot of folks who purchase a Talon and never drive them to their potential. Maybe this move is geared towards these folks?
Actually it's because FOX played favorites and supplied POPO ignoring Honda except for the LV setup. You spec a low profit part with a brand name supplier they fulfill orders for the most profitable customers. It's as simple and stupid as that for big H being a cheap ass on non LV Fox specs.

John Doe #2 told me under deposition 🤫

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Actually it's because FOX played favorites and supplied POPO ignoring Honda except for the LV setup. You spec a low profit part with a brand name supplier they fulfill orders for the most profitable customers. It's as simple and stupid as that for big H being a cheap ass on non LV Fox specs.

Probably true but Honda is the one specing them. Showa is more than capable building a shock as good as anyone else

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Same info also obtained from salesman (1)

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Man..
These talons rip in the desert.
The Showas provide alot more adjustment over the Fox. Soft was really plush. I had to request a special slow run on soft as you didn't want to run soft at high speeds. And they had us booking it. Hit max Rev a few times (74mph)

Adjustment is 12 positions. High and low speed adjustments. (Does require simple tools to do it)

Outside the shocks. No noticeable changes for 2024.
The hood did feel more flimsy. Like less plastic. I think the Pioneer felt the same at the Takeover on a 23
548aeb61dd7f7bf03c91d21b7e44292cBc1e3f3500a5a349b074f133c0592fc4F29aa1f3b1600edf54409fc625796bc7B8626c4f126d477414416b71537d2d0f

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
~snip~

Adjustment is 12 positions. High and low speed adjustments. (Does require simple tools to do it)

~snip~

Did they think ahead and use a common Honda size to adjust the nut? 12/14/17/19mm etc?
Will the wrench be included in the onboard tool kit?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Man..
These talons rip in the desert.
The Showas provide alot more adjustment over the Fox. Soft was really plush. I had to request a special slow run on soft as you didn't want to run soft at high speeds. And they had us booking it. Hit max Rev a few times (74mph)

Outside the shocks. No noticeable changes for 2024.
The hood did feel more flimsy. Like less plastic. I think the Pioneer felt the same at the Takeover on a 23
View attachment 433005View attachment 433006View attachment 433007View attachment 433008

Great feedback! Liked what I hear from in seat impressions, especially the low speed run like for East TN trails..

advertisement