P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whenever the topic of mapping and navigating comes up, I usually see the discussion revolve around GAIA. This thread is to introduce you all to OsmAnd, an open-source mapping application that I run and recommend to everyone. I've been using it for several years, so I'll share what I've learned about it, and maybe get some of you turned on to this amazing tool.

Let me start by saying that I evaluated GAIA, as well as about a dozen other tools back when I first started running live mapping out in the forests of Northern MI. None of the others met my requirements. I'll spell out those requirements in a following post.

As an incentive for all of you to check it out, let me just say that every time I've run into a guy on the trails running GAIA and we start talking about mapping and navigation, I've shown him my OsmAnd and they've all said "whoa, I want to be able to do that..."

OsmAnd is open source, uses Openstreetmaps as it's foundation, and best of all it's FREE. There are levels of premium that you can subscribe to if you want, but it is completely unnecessary and has mostly to do with map updates. You get a full-featured application for free.

Let's meet OsmAnd (Openstreetmaps for Android) and see what it can do...

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whenever the topic of mapping and navigating comes up, I usually see the discussion revolve around GAIA. This thread is to introduce you all to OsmAnd, an open-source mapping application that I run and recommend to everyone. I've been using it for several years, so I'll share what I've learned about it, and hopefully get some of your turned on to this amazing tool.

Let me start by saying that I evaluated GAIA, as well as about a dozen other tools back when I first started running live mapping out in the forests of Northern MI. None of the others met my requirements. I'll spell out those requirements in a following post.

As an incentive for all of you to check it out, let me just say that every time I've run into a guy on the trails running GAIA and we start talking about mapping and navigation, I've shown him my OsmAnd and they've all said "whoa, I want to be able to do that..."

OsmAnd is open source, uses Openstreetmaps as it's foundation, and best of all it's FREE. There are levels of premium that you can subscribe to if you want, but it is completely unnecessary and has mostly to do with map updates. You get a full-featured application for free.

Let's meet OsmAnd (Openstreetmaps for Android) and see what it can do...
I have tried many map apps and personally I like the Polaris ride command over Gaia. I have downloaded your OsmAnd and Iook forward to trying it the next time we are out.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Starting with a screen capture to introduce OsmAnd. Here is a segment of my trails:

Screenshot 20220417 102125 OsmAnd

Notice how the trails are different colors? I can color code them individually in OsmAnd.

• Blue trails are the DNR snowmobile network trails (99% of which are accessible by SxS here in Northern MI.)
  • Red trails are what I call "off trail," or all of the non-snowmobile network trails I've navigated and mapped.
  • Yellow indicates paved road, orange is dirt road
  • Purple indicates Dead End. Once I've explored a trail and found it went nowhere, I keep it in purple so next time I'm in the area, I can see that I was already there and it didn't go anywhere.
  • The light green trails are DNR motorcycle trails. Most of them are too narrow for sleds (much less a SxS) but I like to have them in there so I can check them out. There are stretches that are navigable by sled or SxS, and those segments get replaced with red trails.
See the favorites markers I've placed on the screen? There is a ton of icons you can use, and you can color-code your own categories of markers. The ones you see on the screen are categorized as follows:
  • The green dots designate "play areas" where there's usually a big open field, or a pit, or some challenging hills to run around on.
  • I use brown markers for landmarks (such as a major intersection above) or Mud Zones (indicated by the SxS) to remind me where the big holes are.
  • Red icons designate favorite trails
  • Pink icons are dropped as "places to explore" next time I'm in the area.
There are a number of other categories I use, and you can turn them off by type, or go into "all on" or "all off" for them at any time.

The upper right corner of the screen are from a list of widgets you can turn on/off. I am currently showing:
  • Speed
  • Elevation
  • Record button (always on when I'm riding, more on that later.)
  • Camera / video record (you can drop icons linking to a pic or a vid you associate with an area)
  • Current time
  • Battery level.
You can see that the green boxed-in area designates the MI State Forest boundary.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a copy of the Michigan DNR Snowmobile trails you can download and open in OsmAnd to get started. Most of these trails are SxS accessible, and provide a good general network for getting around.

EDIT 2024-02-09: Updated these three files to my latest versions.

The DNR has them all downloadable as individual track segments, but as far as I know they don't have a single download you can pull.

I have grouped them into three sets: UP, Northern LP and Southern LP using a text editor, and I keep them maintained and updated regularly (revisiting the DNR data annually for the regions I don't ride, updating / correcting the DNR data for the ones I do ride.)

Attachments

• DNR-NLP-24-01.gpx
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • DNR-SLP-24.01.gpx
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • UP-DNR-24.01.gpx
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The most important requirement that I had (and have not been able to find in any other app) is the ability to store trails by category.

Each trail set is color-coded, so when I look at my map I can immediately tell if the trail I'm looking at is a DNR network trail, or an off-trail that I've mapped, or a paved or dirt road I've used to connect from here to there, for example.
  • A copy of the trail sets are maintained and edited on my personal PC, so that when I find a new trail I can take that snippet and add it to my permanent collection, then I upload it to the tablet and replace the old set. I keep version control on these and have full backups in case anything blows up.
  • I'm recording at all times, so I don't need to remember to hit record when I find something new. When I get home, I take out the snippets that I discovered and add them to the category sets. Once I've been there, I never lose a trail.
  • I can turn on or off any set of trails in one click. If I don't want to see paved roads, for example, I can turn them off without hiding any of my other sets.

Here's a screencap of my trail list:

Screenshot 20220417 105743 OsmAnd

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have tried many map apps and personally I like the Polaris ride command over Gaia. I have downloaded your OsmAnd and Iook forward to trying it the next time we are out.

I have Ride Command on my phone as well. We primarily use it for the location sharing when I'm heading out to meet my riding buddy in the forest. Once we've met up, I turn it off.

My buddy (Polaris rider) used it until I got him going on OsmAnd. While he could record his trails, he couldn't color code them or keep them in permanent sets (If I recall correctly.) It was just a big collection of recorded tracks running around.

You're in Missouri - any file sets of GPS trails you can get can be added to OsmAnd and kept individually, to be displayed or not displayed by category. If you know of, or find any trailsets you'd like to try out, let me know and I'll help you load them.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you first install OsmAnd, it'll want you to download a free set of basemaps for your area. Grab that first. You can download several states in the free version. The upgrade allows you to keep more maps, and update them regularly. Updating is completely unnecessary for off-road use.

Here's how to add a GPX file (a set of downloaded or recorded tracks) into OsmAnd. We'll use one of the Michigan DNR trails I posted above for an example. Don't worry, you can turn it off or throw it out later.

1. Download one of the track sets I attached a few posts back.
  2. If your phone prompts you to "Open" the file after downloading, just click that and say "Open with OsmAnd." If it doesn't, follow these steps:
Go into the OsmAnd menu and select "Configure Map"
  1. Select "Tracks"
  2. If it's a new install you're probably getting a screen saying you don't have any track files yet. Select "Add More"
  3. Navigate to your download folder and select the track file.
  4. The track now shows in your list. Select "OK" to return to the map screen.
You now see the track set for the Michigan DNR Snowmobile trails. One minor annoyance is the green arrow icons and checkered flag icons that pop up all over the trails. It's showing segments, and I don't really care where a segment starts or ends, so you can remove them:

1. Go to Menu > Configure Map -> Tracks and select the red dot next to "Appearance."
  2. Deselect the "Start and finish icons" checkbox
  3. Hit "OK" and go back to your map.
You now have the Michigan DNR Snowmobile Trails on your maps! They're also great for SxS, because most of them are seasonal roads that are open to us when it's not snowmobile season. There are a few exceptions, where they cross private land for example, or the Lower Peninsula rail trails (not open to SxS.)

Here's a shot of the Northern Lower Peninsula trails we've just added:
Screenshot 20220418 002247

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are a ton of sites out there sharing GPX files. For those of you interested in maps for the Pioneer Takeover at Ride Royal Blue, I've attached a GPX file of the North Cumberland Trail system that I downloaded and converted some time ago.

You can add it to OsmAnd just like I did in the previous post. (Note that if you don't see a map behind the trails, it's because you haven't downloaded Tennessee to your OsmAnd. If you long-press your screen near the trails, a menu will pop up and you'll see a "download TENNESSEE" link.)

Here's a few images of the RRB trails in Osmand:

Zoom out view of the whole set

Screenshot 20220418 000148

And a zoom-in at the Northeast tip of the trails to show more detail:

Screenshot 20220418 000357

Attachments

• North_Cumberland_trail_system.gpx
    9.9 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might be wondering why OsmAnd has you downloading maps? It's because it's fully self-contained for navigating where there is no cell signal to load your map data. You can be in absolute BFE and you'll still be able to see where you are on the map.

With OsmAnd running, you can confidently head out into nowhere, because you'll always be able to see where you are, and you can record a track showing where you came from. That's the topic of the next post.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In order to be able to record your tracks, you'll need to enable the trip recording plugin.

Go to the menu (hamburger stack) at the bottom left and select "Plugins."

Select "Trip Recording" and then touch the off button to turn it ON.

Hit the back buttons to get back to your map. Now you'll see the "REC" button on the upper right of your screen. When you hit this, OsmAnd is recording everywhere you go. It's also leaving a track on the map, a breadcrumb, so you can see where you've been.

I always hit "record" every time I take off on a trip, and I stop it when I get home. The reason is I don't want to have to remember to hit record if I find a new trail. I just go out and ride around all day, and if there was something new I'll go get it later and add it to the data set.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's another cool plugin called "Audio/video notes" that you might want to check out. You can take a picture or video, or make a recording about something on the trail, and it'll put an icon on that spot that you can view with a click.

Here's what I use it for with my Pioneer: There are some deep mud holes in the trail out in our forest. During the dry season, they're often nearly empty. That's when I take a picture of them to see where the big hole is, so when it's deep I know where to go around if I'm not up for big mudding. 😃

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let's check out some other map sources and I'll show you some other cool things about OsmAnd:

First, go back to Plugins and turn on "Online Maps."

Back out of that menu, then go to Configure Map > Map Source > Install more...

Select Microsoft Earth > apply. This is going to give us a satellite view that you can overlay.

Now if you go back to your map screen, you'll be looking at the satellite view. But we're going to do something cooler with it.

Go back to Menu > Map Source and select Offline Vector Maps. This puts you back to the standard map. Now a few menu items down you'll see Overlay Map - turn it on. Select Microsoft Earth. You'll see that there's an overlay transparency, and a button to "show transparency seekbar." Make sure that's turned on.

Now go back to your map and take a look. Near the bottom of your screen, you'll see a blue slider. As you move it left to right, the satellite imagery comes in over your map at increasing levels of opacity.

This is a really nice way to get a high-level view of where you are relative to forests, fields, etc.

Three levels of opacity:

Screenshot 20220417 141354 OsmAnd

Screenshot 20220417 141405 OsmAnd

Screenshot 20220417 141410 OsmAnd

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let's get Osmand set up for a driving profile.

Click the menu button, and at the top you'll see that it is on "browse map" by default. Click the down arrow and change it to Driving.

Next, select "configure profile" and we'll get it set up for riding.

Select General Settings, and turn on "display position always in center." This will keep you centered in your map as you're moving around.

Then click on Map Orientation. This is a preference thing, but I always set mine to "no rotation, North always upwards" to keep my spatial awareness while looking at my map. You can also change this at any time by clicking on the compass at the top left of the map, it rotates through the choices.

Down lower, under "Units and Formats" you may want to change the units of length to miles/feet, as it comes standard with Km/m.

There are a number of other settings you can tinker with here.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's about all I've got time for today, going to do some upgrades on the machine.

When I get some time, I'll document how I build my trail sets by exporting them to my PC, use some tools to take out snippets, update my files, and send them back up to OsmAnd. This is kind of on the "geeky" side and perhaps a bit more than some of you want to bite off - but if you have the skills or are interested in learning, you can build some really, really powerful maps with OsmAnd.

For today's summary, I want to highlight why I love OsmAnd:
  • I literally cannot get lost with OsmAnd running. I can always see where I am, and whether I'm headed toward trail I already know. As a last resort, I can see how to backtrack out because I'm recording and leaving breadcrumbs.
  • I never lose a trail. Once I discover something, I add it to my permanent set and I know how to find it again. I have "favorite trail" icons on my maps to designate the ones I really like.
  • Because I've got routes color-coded by type, I can decide which way I want to go based on the type of terrain, trail or road getting me there.
  • When I zoom in on the area I'm riding, OsmAnd shows me a lot of "trails" that may or may not exist, but they're excellent cues for exploring.
I've been using this tool for 7-8 years now, so I can probably help with most anything you're trying to do. Post questions and I'll see if I can get you on track! Happy mapping!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife and I typically visit Drummond island once a year. We had just found you could take a side by side up there 2 years ago I believe. Last year we did not get the chance to go but we hope to try to go this year. It just depends on how busy everything gets. My wife's business typically dictates what we do. Last year we had a large job and this year we are thinking about expanding. Our time spent on trips is typically always in limbo. There are times we are not sure until the same week that we schedule something that we can actually go.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a little more time to write this evening, so I'm going to use @Robobrainiac's Drummond Island example to show how you can make the best of your trip using OsmAnd.

I search the web for "Drummond island trails GPX" and found a Michigan DNR Link for "Maps in List format."
Scrolling down to the D's, I find Drummond Island Route and Trail (2 sets, East and West.)

Clicking on the title brings up a PDF map that I can preview:

Screenshot 2022 04 17 223047

This looks useful, so I want to download the maps into OsmAnd.

If I just click on the GPX file link, I get a bunch of XML code:

Screenshot 20220417 223856

That's not good. Instead, I'm going to LONG PRESS the link and my Android phone will pull up a menu. Now, I select "Download Link" and I see that I'm about to download dir.gpx. That's good, a GPX file! I save it to my downloads folder.

Now I open OsmAnd, go to Menu > Configure Map > Tracks > Add More. Navigate to my Downloads folder, and there it is - dit.gpx.

I click on this file, and then hit "OK". Now I look at Drummond Island on the maps, and here's the East set of trails, ready to navigate:

Screenshot 20220417 224958

I've downloaded and saved both of those map sets (East and West,) combined them using a text editor on my PC, and linked it for you here to make it easy to grab (DI-All.gpx.) Using a little XML editing skill, I don't really need two GPX files - I can combine them. Here is the new map:

Screenshot 20220417 230607

Attachments

• DI-All.gpx
    531.8 KB · Views: 57
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I noticed while putting that last post together that the DNR links lead to East and West PDF maps, but the downloads only get you two sets of East side trails (DIT and DIR - which I now understand means "Drummond Island Trail and Drummond Island Route.")

It looks like they published the West side trails in PDF format, but did not create GPX files for them. If you compare the PDFs to what I've shown here, you can see what's missing.

Hey, it's good enough for government work, right?

You can even look at the DNR's own GIS trail mapping site, and see that they haven't published any of the West side trails there:

Screenshot 2022 04 17 231317

If I wanted to dig deeper, I'd probably contact the DNR and let them know their links aren't right, and that they aren't showing any of the Drummond Island West trails in GPX files. I'd also dig around and see if someone has published any private copies of those trails. But this will suffice for the example...

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!