marine battery switch install question

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Amongst many things I am installing in my 16' pioneer 1k5 is a dual battery setup. With bus bars for ground, ACC, 12+ and a fuse block. Ill have plenty of questions about other electrical things since I'm not really qualified to do this type of work. Lol. but this is first.
The wire diagram on my marine battery switch shows a positive lead going to the switch from the engine. I have a positive from the starter solenoid to the battery but I don't understand what they mean by a positive from the engine to the battery.

Dual battery boat wiring diagram 300x286 IMG 20190121 211941 481

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Amongst many things I am installing in my 16' pioneer 1k5 is a dual battery setup. With bus bars for ground, ACC, 12+ and a fuse block. Ill have plenty of questions about other electrical things since I'm not really qualified to do this type of work. Lol. but this is first.
The wire diagram on my marine battery switch shows a positive lead going to the switch from the engine. I have a positive from the starter solenoid to the battery but I don't understand what they mean by a positive from the engine to the battery.

View attachment 104384 View attachment 104385
What you have pictured is not what you want! Although it does have a combine feature it does not isolate your main battery from your auxiliary This is what I have with wiring diagram! Others use the True Isolator, but this set up is superior!
5B0CDF16 C272 471E 9B2F 2A02A26CD95C D3433140 7260 49BE A36E F313D82B41BC

Last edited:
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What you have pictured is not what you want! Although it does have a combine feature it does not isolate your main battery from your auxiliary This is what I have with wiring diagram! Others use the True Isolator, but this set up is superior!
View attachment 104386 View attachment 104387
I cannot zoom in on that photo but my switch only has 3 connecting studs. Its a 1, 2, both, and off switch. And I don't have that second piece that is in the photo.

Reactions: sharp
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I cannot zoom in on that photo but my switch only has 3 connecting studs. Its a 1, 2, both, and off switch. And I don't have that second piece that is in the photo.
Yes your switch is...
Either just battery 1
Either just battery 2
Both batteries combined
And off

The switch and diagram I posted is my recommendation for you!

Your switch is Simply for choosing either battery 1 or battery 2 or combining the two batteries to run as one. The battery selected will be the only one charging.

My recommendation included an ACR automatic charging relay which allows the charging of both batteries while also isolating the second battery from the main. This prevents killing both batteries, and allows running all accessories from the auxiliary or second battery.

An isolator is a must for every dual battery setup!

But here is another diagram if you are set on using your 1-2-combine-off switch
2689A203 08DE 48C9 AC9D FBD2DE8F9737

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes your switch is...
Either just battery 1
Either just battery 2
Both batteries combined
And off

The switch and diagram I posted is my recommendation for you!

Your switch is Simply for choosing either battery 1 or battery 2 or combining the two batteries to run as one. The battery selected will be the only one charging.

My recommendation included an ACR automatic charging relay which allows the charging of both batteries while also isolating the second battery from the main. This prevents killing both batteries, and allows running all accessories from the auxiliary or second battery.

An isolator is a must for every dual battery setup!

But here is another diagram if you are set on using your 1-2-combine-off switch
View attachment 104410
Okay. So I can see the latest diagram. But I don't get where the common goes. It shows to the engine but where? Its hard to explain things to somebody that doesn't understand 12v and its technologies. I appreciate your help..

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

This should help because I think this is what you are trying to do!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Okay. So I can see the latest diagram. But I don't get where the common goes. It shows to the engine but where? Its hard to explain things to somebody that doesn't understand 12v and its technologies. I appreciate your help..
So if you watched the video and that is what you want, simply take the factory battery cable going to the positive battery terminal and mount it to common post. You will have to make a new positive cable that will go from your battery post to the battery 1 stud.

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if you watched the video and that is what you want, simply take the factory battery cable going to the positive battery terminal and mount it to common post. You will have to make a new positive cable that will go from your battery post to the battery 1 stud.
I finally understand. Indeed. I have it all hooked up except the common. I will do it tomorrow and see what happens. I'm hoping it works like I think it will. Separating the batteries and turning all the power off.

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!