P500 Martinez Canyon - Box canyon area. 4-24-22

Y

Yomama101

Feb 6, 2022
Mesa AZ
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
Another Sunday ride before the heat settles in. South of HWY 60 on State trust land for some of the ride. 30+ miles. I'd like to thank my Lovely co-pilot for making the tasty lunch and tea. Temps peaked at 83* but with a nice breeze. The last couple pics are the back side of the Superstition Mountains and Weavers Needle.
IMG 5578
IMG 5581
IMG 5584
IMG 5585
IMG 5586
IMG 5588
IMG 5590
IMG 5591
IMG 5595
IMG 5597
IMG 5602
IMG 5603
IMG 5606
IMG 5609
IMG 5610
IMG 5613
IMG 5615
IMG 5617
IMG 5620
IMG 5622
IMG 5625
IMG 5626

Last edited:
1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
R

rongopackgo

Apr 26, 2022
Wayne, IL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. Other Brand

4. 520
Hey the trailer pic looked so familiar--that's Mesa right? Apache Wells right there? My mother-in-law is there and we're going to be wintering there this year. I am looking for either the Honda P520 or the Kubota RTV 520. From those trails, I feel like the Honda is the way to go over the Kubota. Any thoughts?

I'll see you guys around I bet!

Ron

Y

Yomama101

Feb 6, 2022
Mesa AZ
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
Hey the trailer pic looked so familiar--that's Mesa right? Apache Wells right there? My mother-in-law is there and we're going to be wintering there this year. I am looking for either the Honda P520 or the Kubota RTV 520. From those trails, I feel like the Honda is the way to go over the Kubota. Any thoughts?

I'll see you guys around I bet!

Ron
Yep, Recker and McKellips. Just doing a quick gander at the Kubota 520 Specs I feel the Honda would fit the bill out here better. I'd hate to be shackled to 24 MPH.

R

rongopackgo

Apr 26, 2022
Wayne, IL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. Other Brand

4. 520
That's so funny. I really appreciate you giving me the two cents on the Kubota and how it would fare in AZ. Wife is there now hiking. It seems like the Honda 520 would be great. love your tires too. How are the stock tires on the street in Mesa?

Ron

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
That would be amazing to be able to drive straight out your driveway and have that available to you. I have a little bit behind my house that we can ride; you can kind of see my tracks in the forest on the hill.

There’s only about 10 acres behind me and I don’t have very many trails back there that I can access. Nothing like the public lands that Utah, Arizona and Colorado have.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do love to ride box canyon...but man is it crowded these days.
We get to box canyon before 9:00am. Didn’t see any other machines ’til a few miles from the gate for Martinez Mine. I think the folks picking up rentals in Florence are still trying to figure out what they’re doing when we go out early.

Y

Yomama101

Feb 6, 2022
Mesa AZ
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
We get to box canyon before 9:00am. Didn’t see any other machines ’til a few miles from the gate for Martinez Mine. I think the folks picking up rentals in Florence are still trying to figure out what they’re doing when we go out early.
Yea I want to get to the Coke Ovens before it gets to hot. Where are you staging from, Florence?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
After a long work week, I sometimes don't even get out of the driveway until 9.
Yea I want to get to the Coke Ovens before it gets to hot. Where are you staging from, Florence?
I'm not the trail police, your dad, or anyone who want to make decisions for you. You're an adult and can make up your own mind. That said, be aware that unless it's changed very recently, the Coke ovens are on private property, and the caretaker does occasionally call Leo's and generally give people flak for being there. It's a popular destination for sure, but...

The "quickest" way to the Coke ovens is to stage over on Cochran road off of Florence-kelvin highway and cross the river if it's low enough. That trip from box canyon over to the Coke ovens is brutal in a 500. Then you can also explore back to the east as well. Beautiful country over there.

Reactions: Buggyman
Y

Yomama101

Feb 6, 2022
Mesa AZ
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
After a long work week, I sometimes don't even get out of the driveway until 9.

I'm not the trail police, your dad, or anyone who want to make decisions for you. You're an adult and can make up your own mind. That said, be aware that unless it's changed very recently, the Coke ovens are on private property, and the caretaker does occasionally call Leo's and generally give people flak for being there. It's a popular destination for sure, but...

The "quickest" way to the Coke ovens is to stage over on Cochran road off of Florence-kelvin highway and cross the river if it's low enough. That trip from box canyon over to the Coke ovens is brutal in a 500. Then you can also explore back to the east as well. Beautiful country over there.
Yea its a rough & slow ride. I haven't been to the ovens in 15 yrs but I'm fully aware of the private property status. No intentions of intruding on the property. Just be nice to grab some pics.

Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!