P500 Mechanic Tools

T

TwoTonNewt

Mar 8, 2024
Northwest Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
I have looked, but have not seen a definitive list of the typical mechanic tools it would be good to carry. I like to be prepared when I outfit a machine. For my ATV I collected all the typical wrench and socket sizes I would need to do a majority of any work I would need.

I know there are a lot of lists that include the various air compressors, tire plugs, fire extinguisher, etc. But has anyone ever put together just a list of mechanic tools? I plan on mounting a couple of 30 cal cans on the back (will know better once my bed get here) and I want to use one of the cans for just the mechanic tools I might need on the trail.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check out this thread.

It was based around the P1K, but a fair amount of the tools will cross between platforms.

T

TwoTonNewt

Mar 8, 2024
Northwest Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Check out this thread.

It was based around the P1K, but a fair amount of the tools will cross between platforms.
Yea, that is kinda what I was looking for, but specific to the P500. Really just those first three or so breakdowns, sockets, wrenches, allen keys, etc.

All the other "tools" are kinda subjective, but there are only a certain number of different sized specific mechanic tools that will fit most of the parts on the P500 that a person would might need on the trail....I would assume.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grab the bare minimum from post 1 on thread I linked.

Sockets:
Personal preference on 1/2" or 3/8" drive. Be sure to take a couple different extensions and adapters as well.
10mm body bolts, door hinges
12mm
14mm regular, outer A-arm bolts
14mm spark plug socket
17mm Tie rod ends, A arms, shocks
19mm Steering stem/ honda lug nuts, a arm
21mm Tapered lugs
22mm Standard lugs
30mm Axle nut (fit this to whatever fits the 500)
Wrenches:
10,12,14,17,19 Combination wrenches or ratchet wrenches

1 1/4" open end wrench or crows foot for inner tie rod end.
Allen/HEX:
5mm for air box (1000)and body panels
Nut drivers:
1/4", 5/16" (6mm/8mm)
Miscellaneous:
First aid kit
Knipex cobra pliers
Needle nose pliers
Standard Pliers
Crescent wrench
Flat and Phillips screw driver

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I have looked, but have not seen a definitive list of the typical mechanic tools it would be good to carry. I like to be prepared when I outfit a machine. For my ATV I collected all the typical wrench and socket sizes I would need to do a majority of any work I would need.

I know there are a lot of lists that include the various air compressors, tire plugs, fire extinguisher, etc. But has anyone ever put together just a list of mechanic tools? I plan on mounting a couple of 30 cal cans on the back (will know better once my bed get here) and I want to use one of the cans for just the mechanic tools I might need on the trail.
He's a partial list of what I carry. Dont be that guy that doesn't have the right tool on the trail when you break down.

20240305 210646

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

Spare tools ... What? Don't you know P5's don't breakdown on the trail. They wait until you get back to camp for that. - (Says the lady who got towed 15 miles back to camp after her fuel pump died. Tools would not have helped that though.)

Great question, honestly something I have been thinking of as well!

Ntc

Last edited:
T

TwoTonNewt

Mar 8, 2024
Northwest Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Spare tools ... What? Don't you know P5's don't breakdown on the trail. They wait until you get back to camp for that. - (Says the lady who got towed 15 miles back to camp after her fuel pump died. Tools would not have helped that though.)

View attachment 420971
You have a good point. It is almost always the thing that you do not have tools for that get you when your out.

I try to be thoughtful about what I carry, as in, I find no reason to bring along a 300+ socket and wrench set when the majority of the nuts and bolts can be covered with a dozen or so.

I have had some of my tools be handy in previous years, but for the most part I have never had a big emergency that could not be taken care of back at camp. With that said, sometimes camp is just the basics also, and it will be nice to have most of the mechanic tools I need on me rather than loading them up each trip. I was limited on space with my ATV's, and while the P500 does not have any storage stock, it has a lot more room to add storage than my ATV's.

I'll definitely post what all I have put together once I get it all together. Found an inexpensive tool roll that looks like it will fit perfect in a 30 cal ammo can. I'll probably visit the local pawn shops to pick up the various wrenches and such since that way I do not have to buy a whole set or steal from the ones I have at the house.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
You have a good point. It is almost always the thing that you do not have tools for that get you when your out.

I try to be thoughtful about what I carry, as in, I find no reason to bring along a 300+ socket and wrench set when the majority of the nuts and bolts can be covered with a dozen or so.

I have had some of my tools be handy in previous years, but for the most part I have never had a big emergency that could not be taken care of back at camp. With that said, sometimes camp is just the basics also, and it will be nice to have most of the mechanic tools I need on me rather than loading them up each trip. I was limited on space with my ATV's, and while the P500 does not have any storage stock, it has a lot more room to add storage than my ATV's.

I'll definitely post what all I have put together once I get it all together. Found an inexpensive tool roll that looks like it will fit perfect in a 30 cal ammo can. I'll probably visit the local pawn shops to pick up the various wrenches and such since that way I do not have to buy a whole set or steal from the ones I have at the house.
Thank you. A tool roll is something I have been looking at as well. I feel it is prolly the best option for the limited cargo space in the P5 also. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to implement.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
😂😂😂 Ya never now when you'll need a handful of deck screws and lag bolts........
Haha, when out at the ranch I'm either fixing a fence, deer stand or a deer feeder. Never know what you'll need so I try and bring everything. Haven't had to fix the Honda yet except for flats and I got probably 40 tire plugs 🤣, ten for each tire!

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520

View attachment 420971
*Note to self: add 8ft of fuel line and a priming bulb to parts kit.*

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
*Note to self: add 8ft of fuel line and a priming bulb to parts kit.*
“Alexa…. What can you do with 8ft of fuel line and a priming bulb?”

😱….. GG, you would do that on a trail? Weird… but if that works for ya.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!