Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Updated 3/1/19

The goal of this thread is to create a list of tools that are essential for completing trail side repairs on a Honda Pioneer 1000. The 700 and 500 are likely similar. The idea is that if a person is going out on a significant riding trip they need at least a bare minimum set of tools to be able to work on their pioneer should a need arise. This goal has evolved to the creation of additional lists of items/parts that could be added should one choose to do so.

Original post:
I'm curious if anyone has put together a list, or started a list of the actual tools needed for the pioneer. For the sake of a trail kit. Granted you may need tools for other machines out there but I'm thinking if im on a long trip and want to save weight and space what do i need specifically for the Pioneer 1000. For instance I dont want to carry around a 13,16,18 mm socket if there's no part that requires it.

Take a second to vote if you would please!

The goal of this thread is to provide a precise list of tools one would need to fix their Honda Pioneer on the trail.

This is broken into 3 parts.
1. The bare minimum - Short day trips and such.
2. Encouraged - If you're going on a trip somewhere to ride you should add this to your supplies. May not have to be in the machine but take it with you.
3. Optional- These are items if you're going on an overland trip or similar. Self sufficient tools.

HERE IS THE BARE MINIMUM

Sockets:
Personal preference on 1/2" or 3/8" drive. Be sure to take a couple different extensions and adapters as well.
8mm
10mm body bolts, door hinges
12mm
14mm regular, outer A-arm bolts
14mm spark plug socket
17mm Tie rod ends, A arms, shocks
19mm Steering stem/ honda lug nuts, a arm
21mm Tapered lugs
22mm Standard lugs
30mm Axle nut

Wrenches:
8,10,12,14,17,19 Combination wrenches or ratchet wrenches

1 1/4" open end wrench or crows foot for inner tie rod end.

Allen/HEX:
5mm for air box and body panels

Nut drivers:
1/4", 5/16" (6mm/8mm)

Miscellaneous:
First aid kit
Knipex cobra pliers
Needle nose pliers
Standard Pliers
Crescent wrench
Flat and Phillips screw driver

Encouraged Items:
Knipex Pliar wrench -parallel jaw pliers
Large and small pair of vise grips
Hammer
12v or 18v Electric impact
JIS #3 cross bit for bed bolts
Tire plugs
CO2 kit/ mini air compressor
Zip ties
Tape
Tie rod
Locktite
Knife
Hammer
fuses
Disposable gloves
Spare lug nuts
Spare valve stem
Flashlight
WD40 or similar
Dry Box

Optional items:
Spare tire or tube if you have beadlocks
Spare Axle
Ball Joint
Cotter keys assortment
A-arm bolt
Side cutters
wire stripper and crimper
assortment of eletrical connectors
brake fluid
spare valve stems
tree saver
2 pulleys
4 clevis
1 50ft winch line extention
hose clamp assortment
spare wheel studs
disposable gloves
20ft of 14ga wire
spare spark plugs
bug spray
toilet paper and wipes
2.5 gal water
2.5 gal gas
1 long pick
Chainsaw
Lighter and flint striker
jelly soaked cotton balls
Fire extinguisher
Leather gloves
Lithium jump pack

Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm curious if anyone has put together a list, or started a list of the actual tools needed for the pioneer. For the sake of a trail kit. Granted you may need tools for other machines out there but I'm thinking if im on a long trip and want to save weight and space what do i need specifically for the Pioneer 1000. For instance I know I need 10 and 12mm, also the steering stem nut is a 19mm. Is there anything thats 14,15,16 or 17mm? What tools are needed on the ball joint?

So what size sockets/wrenches would you need:
10mm
12mm
14mm
19mm

Allen:
5mm for air box?

Is it worth building a specific kit or just throw the whole set in and carry on? Just some thoughts.

Need or rather a 21mm socket for the special taper lug nuts and maybe a 22mm for standard.
A 30mm for axle nut.
1 1/4” for tie rod inside piece - crowsfoot works best

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Need or rather a 21mm socket for the special taper lug nuts and maybe a 22mm for standard.
A 30mm for axle nut.
1 1/4” for tie rod inside piece - crowsfoot works best
New Years resolution, calm my butt down while ridding and stay close to you and @GlockMeister

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm curious if anyone has put together a list, or started a list of the actual tools needed for the pioneer. For the sake of a trail kit. Granted you may need tools for other machines out there but I'm thinking if im on a long trip and want to save weight and space what do i need specifically for the Pioneer 1000. For instance I know I need 10 and 12mm, also the steering stem nut is a 19mm. Is there anything thats 14,15,16 or 17mm? What tools are needed on the ball joint?

So what size sockets/wrenches would you need:
10mm
12mm
14mm
19mm

Allen:
5mm for air box?

Is it worth building a specific kit or just throw the whole set in and carry on? Just some thoughts.

I have been going through my tool kit and trying to wean out alot of uneeded tools. I want to maily carry pioneer specific tools. Tie rod ends are 17mm and i believe upper ball joint is too

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have been going through my tool kit and trying to wean out alot of uneeded tools. I want to maily carry pioneer specific tools. Tie rod ends are 17mm and i believe upper ball joint is too
I try real hard to prepare mechanically for every ride. I can see tie rods and flats. I don't have a really hard core modified buggy, so that's about I what expect. Hey you pull a Smitty in the grader? HA!

J

JTW

So.. I have a set of metric wrenches, metric 1/2 sockets set, pilers-screw-drivers-side cutters- and all the sort of tool, 18”x1/2” breaker bar, Allen wrenches, 1/4” impact. And a 30mm socket. Then I have stuff to do boot bands, odd and end wiring stuff, zip ties and random stuff.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Cuoutdoors I don’t know if you want to keep editing your first post to add items that others identify. I am glad you started this as we have a lot of discussion on everything else that you might need to carry

yes I'll try to keep it updated at the top.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A decent socket set with Allen keys/torque ends. 2 pairs of channel locs, pliers, a 4 in 1 screwdriver hammer and pry bar. Zip ties, and assorted radiator clamps will pretty much let you fix anything that you could on the trail anyway.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A decent socket set with Allen keys/torque ends. 2 pairs of channel locs, pliers, a 4 in 1 screwdriver hammer and pry bar. Zip ties, and assorted radiator clamps will pretty much let you fix anything that you could on the trail anyway.
So.. I have a set of metric wrenches, metric 1/2 sockets set, pilers-screw-drivers-side cutters- and all the sort of tool, 18”x1/2” breaker bar, Allen wrenches, 1/4” impact. And a 30mm socket. Then I have stuff to do boot bands, odd and end wiring stuff, zip ties and random stuff.
looking for actual sizes. What size allen bolts are actually on the pioneer. Theres not that many different socket and allen sizes needed. Just trying to identify more precisely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

looking for actual sizes. What size allen bolts are actually on the pioneer. Theres not that many different socket and allen sizes needed. Just trying to identify more precisely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
From JP a while back...
989EF871 C6EB 4207 B8A6 D42AB6E93F8B
BF842DF5 27F4 435E A648 ADE6F7AC474B

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Need to know sizes for A arm bolts, shock bolts, ball joints, Allen bolts on shields around motor....
Kinda confused? For trail side repairs? 10mm through 30mm bout covers every thing on sockets and wrenches. Allen's seems like a set of allen's with 7mm being the middle of the set is good, but gosh this is a shop! To answer your question 12,14,17 mm

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
8/10/12/14/17/19/30mm sockets are needed. Carry a combo wrench in each of the same sizes. Double box end wrenches will cut some weight if you can get them in matched sizes.
8mm x 10mm wrench
12mm x 14mm wrench
17mm x 19mm wrench
21/22mm sockets for aftermarket nuts may not really be needed. Most of the special keys have a 19/21mm hex attached.

If weight is a concern, consider a 19/21mm flip socket like this. Make sure to pack the extension. This should cover a 19mm bolt on your machine as well.
Flip Socket

Hex bits.
I have really only come across 5mm that I can think of. If you start adding aftermarket stuff, it is a good idea to keep some 3-6mm on hand. I keep a Wera set my glove box that handles most of the add-on stuff.
I have 2 full sets of hex bits in my machine.
A set of stubby hex sockets(3-10mm), and a set of long sockets for getting into the airbox and other areas a long reach is needed.
Long Hex bits.
Long Hex Bit Socket Set
Stubby/Short hex bits.
Short/Stubby Hex Socket Set

Cross headed fasteners.
Do not use your regular Phillips screwdrivers on these. You will strip them and frustrate yourself! The Japanese use their own style cross headed fastener. They were at one point referred to as JIS #1,#2,#3 etc.
I believe they are now referred to as "Plus". Most of the bed screws are a #3.

You might want to invest in a hand impact driver and some specialized bits.
Vessel Hand Impact Set
If you have an impact driver, you can purchase just the bits.
Impact Bits
If that is still of little interest to you. Check out this screwdriver. It has a built in mechanism to twist the fastener when hit with a hammer.
Impacting Screwdriver
If you end up getting a hand impact screwdriver, you will need a hammer with some heft to it.
A 4lb Engineer hammer is the perfect companion.
Engineer Hammer (4lb)
A deadblow hammer will complement your tool kit as well. Sometime you need to be a little more delicate and don't want to damage or dent parts.
Deadblow Hammer (1lb)
After watching @JTW change an axle trail side, which really wasn't bad. We had to swap the clip from the end of the axle. we were using leathermans and other knives trying to get it done. Throw a set of o-ring picks in your toolkit.
O-Ring Pick Set
You really only need the 45 pic, it is the most useful. Shove an eraser on the end to protect the point.

All links supplied are for reference only. They are not recommended tools, just a representation of what is available. Do you own research on tool brands and what fits your budget.

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pliers.
This is a big spend. But I promise, once you own a pair, and start using them, they will multiply. These are the handiest pliers made.
@Kilo427 may be willing to vouch for these as well.
Knipex Plier Wrench (Parallel Jaw Pliers)
A decent channelock style is great to have as well.
Knipex Cobra Pliers
Keep a Leatherman or Gerber in your pocket and your pliers are covered.

Plastic Rivets
Most people use a flat head screwdriver to pop these. There are actual tools that will help you keep the re-usable.
Plastic Rivet Tools

Spark Plugs Socket
14mm Spark Plug Socket

Here is a picture of a 14mm on the left, and 9/16" on the right.
The sizes are close enough to swap in a pinch. But 14mm definitely fits better.
IMG 20181210 1829463

As I prep my stuff for Mulberry in a few weeks. I will see what else I can add to the list. I'll send some pictures as well.

Attached is a PDF of the torque values of the 1000. It doesn't list exactly the head size, but we can populate it as we go.

All links supplied are for reference only. They are not recommended tools, just a representation of what is available. Do you own research on tool brands and what fits your budget.

Attachments

• Torque Values.pdf
    659.9 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!