P1000 What Tools Do I Need?

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didn’t wanna make this post but I feel like it would really help me out if I got some replies. I’m disabled and have very bad arthritis all in my spine.
I just pressure washed my 2016 Pioneer 1000 and it took a toll on my back. Tomorrow I plan on servicing the machine if my back will let me.

What all tools do I need to change the engine oil, engine oil filter, DCT oil filter, sub transmission oil, and engine air filter? I have all the fluids and filters. This will be the first time I serviced it myself. I let a local Honda dealer do it the first time. I can’t afford to let them do it this time.

My side x side has 4,400 miles. I purchased it used a year and a half ago with 940 miles.

Thank You

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not really too many specialty tools needed on these.
In typical Honda fashion, you need the following 10/12/14/17/19mm to service most of the machine.
If you want to do some deeper reading P1000 - Real Tools Required

Edit: Use a light touch on the engine and dct oil filter covers. The cover is sealed with o-rings. The bolts need to be snug to retain the cover, not super tight.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Engine air filter sucks. Not going to sugar coat it.
You need a 5mm hex wrench(air box). I really REALLY recommend removing the back of the front seat for easier access(5 x10mm bolts). Depending on the severity of your disability, it may stretch the job out a bit longer. But the access it creates is worth the effort.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I was able to change the engine oil, engine oil filter, and DCT filter. Draining and filling was very simple. The hardest part I had was getting the DCT filter cover off! It was hell! I checked the sub transmission oil and it was good. It, along with the front and rear differentials, will get changed next time the engine oil gets changed.

I kinda see why dealers charge so much to do this. It’s not easy, especially for somebody like me. I probably won’t be changing the oil again myself. I’ll pay somebody else to service it or take it to my local Honda dealer. It’s just too hard on me with my back having arthritis.
As of now, it needs 2 new rear axles, brakes, new tires, and a front end alignment. Got to find somebody to change the air filter too because it’s too much bending over for me. I’m not even gonna attempt it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well I was able to change the engine oil, engine oil filter, and DCT filter. Draining and filling was very simple. The hardest part I had was getting the DCT filter cover off! It was hell! I checked the sub transmission oil and it was good. It, along with the front and rear differentials, will get changed next time the engine oil gets changed.

I kinda see why dealers charge so much to do this. It’s not easy, especially for somebody like me. I probably won’t be changing the oil again myself. I’ll pay somebody else to service it or take it to my local Honda dealer. It’s just too hard on me with my back having arthritis.
As of now, it needs 2 new rear axles, brakes, new tires, and a front end alignment. Got to find somebody to change the air filter too because it’s too much bending over for me. I’m not even gonna attempt it.
Your in Luisiana
Any members in the area that can maybe help you out for a case of beer or two? I know there are some in your state. If u lived up here If help you.
Maybe start a new thread asking if there is anyone in your state that can give u a hand.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have to say, the engineer that design this machine knew they would never have to service one. Even just checking you engine oil and trans level is a pain in the azz. I haven't changed my air filter yet but I removed the cover just to see how it's made. I also have a bad back and the position required to do that filter change is a killer on me. As far as the enging oil and filters, its a nightmare too. Little springs to line up, can't get to cover bolts for the filters well, it's not fun. I had a gator before Honda and I could service five of them in the time it takes me to do the Honda. All I can tell you is take your time because it hurts my back. By the way, I'm not knocking the proformance of the Honda. I love it. But the serviceability, they need to make the engineer work in the service department for about a month and things would changed for sure.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have to say, the engineer that design this machine knew they would never have to service one. Even just checking you engine oil and trans level is a pain in the azz. I haven't changed my air filter yet but I removed the cover just to see how it's made. I also have a bad back and the position required to do that filter change is a killer on me. As far as the enging oil and filters, its a nightmare too. Little springs to line up, can't get to cover bolts for the filters well, it's not fun. I had a gator before Honda and I could service five of them in the time it takes me to do the Honda. All I can tell you is take your time because it hurts my back. By the way, I'm not knocking the proformance of the Honda. I love it. But the serviceability, they need to make the engineer work in the service department for about a month and things would changed for sure.
The best "office" guys come from the shop!

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I raised and removed the left rear wheel/tire last time I did an oil change, use a jack stand! I was almost able to sit up right on the floor to change the oil filters and you can see what's going on. The oil filter springs are easy to fix to keep them from falling out, One end of the springs are a little bigger, take a couple needle nosed pliers and unwind the larger end just a little so they will stay in the filter caps, as far as the air filter I raise the bed, kneel on the front seat facing the rear reach over and change the air filter. I feel your pain!

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I raised and removed the left rear wheel/tire last time I did an oil change, use a jack stand! I was almost able to sit up right on the floor to change the oil filters and you can see what's going on. The oil filter springs are easy to fix to keep them from falling out, One end of the springs are a little bigger, take a couple needle nosed pliers and unwind the larger end just a little so they will stay in the filter caps, as far as the air filter I raise the bed, kneel on the front seat facing the rear reach over and change the air filter. I feel your pain!
Good idea on the wheel and tire. As far as the air filter, I guess I never thought about it, but I have a cab and can't get to it easy. I guess most don't have the cab so it may be way easier than the way I have to go about it. If you want to make your back hurt. Try just working from the side with your body twisted under the bed.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

If you remove the rubber bumpers by the bed hinges you can get 10°-15° more lift giving a little more room.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Buy some assorted picks and you can get them started coming out, then use a small flat blade screw driver and gently pry the the covers off.

Reactions: Travis R
Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got the air filter changed today also. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN. I will have to pay somebody else to do it. It is too much on my back. I almost went to the ER earlier to get shots for pain. I’m still in a lot of pain now but it has eased up enough to keep me out of the ER.

I had to reuse the old o-ring for the air filter cover because the new one was too big! Only 1 of the new o-rings fit correctly. Anybody else have this issue?

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!