Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Has anybody found a pelican type case that fits inside the rear doors yet? That would make a nice tool box storage location
@joeymt33 has
Not positive on sizing but the Harbor Fright boxes are bad ass

Reactions: Neohio and sharp
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For reference, I'm not just asking for a hand out. I did buy the smallest Harbor Freight Apache case and it turns out it's pretty nice but doesnt fit under the glove box or in the door. I'd like 1 for tools and 1 for camera's and phones.

1800 Weatherproof Protective Case – 9-3/16 In.
Sounds dumb, but how did it not fit?
Could you open your door hole larger? Or it went in the door and sat funny and wasted space?
Did you use a hole saw on your door? Or body saw and cut out the weirdly shaped opening?

I have a Storm im2050 case kicking around. I will see how/if it fits.
9.5x7.5x4.3"

Reactions: sharp
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds dumb, but how did it not fit?
Could you open your door hole larger? Or it went in the door and sat funny and wasted space?
Did you use a hole saw on your door? Or body saw and cut out the weirdly shaped opening?

It's thicker than the distance from the inside of the door to the outside. I think it would fit near the hinges but you'd have a cut out larger than the exterior panel by the time you got it in there. It it was 3/4" thinner between the top of the lid and the bottom it would probably sneak right in. Likewise if it was only 7 or 8" long it would tuck behind the net of the under dash storage real nice.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's thicker than the distance from the inside of the door to the outside. I think it would fit near the hinges but you'd have a cut out larger than the exterior panel by the time you got it in there. It it was 3/4" thinner between the top of the lid and the bottom it would probably sneak right in. Likewise if it was only 7 or 8" long it would tuck behind the net of the under dash storage real nice.
So we need to find something less than 4 3/8" Tall?
Capture34

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I thought he was running dry bags?
I don't have a large enough Pelican dealer around me to drive my machine over to test fit cases.
Shoot I thought question from Todd was asking for space next to door under seat down. You are right my apologies

Reactions: Neohio and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would guess in the 3.5" range. I'll grab a few photos later this week.
Pelicans website kinda sucks.
You can search based on interior dimensions.
We might be stuck with their "micro" line of cases. I'm not sure how much confidence one will have in them, or how much they will hold.

Edit: Pelican 1120 or 1170 might fit.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can always get behind the use of pyrotechnics
Cross headed fasteners.
Do not use your regular Phillips screwdrivers on these. You will strip them and frustrate yourself! The Japanese use their own style cross headed fastener. They were at one point referred to as JIS #1,#2,#3 etc.
I believe they are now referred to as "Plus". Most of the bed screws are a #3.

You might want to invest in a hand impact driver and some specialized bits.
Vessel Hand Impact Set
If you have an impact driver, you can purchase just the bits.
Impact Bits
If that is still of little interest to you. Check out this screwdriver. It has a built in mechanism to twist the fastener when hit with a hammer.
Impacting Screwdriver
If you end up getting a hand impact screwdriver, you will need a hammer with some heft to it.
After stripping out a few screws and ordering that Impacting screwdriver on your recommendation I can vouch for it... it works great -

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pelicans website kinda sucks.
Edit: Pelican 1120 or 1170 might fit.
I ordered an 1120 and 1170 from Amazon. I will report back this weekend on whether either fits.
Is a pop can good enough to determine scale?

Reactions: sharp
MMW

MMW

Sep 5, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm curious if anyone has put together a list, or started a list of the actual tools needed for the pioneer. For the sake of a trail kit. Granted you may need tools for other machines out there but I'm thinking if im on a long trip and want to save weight and space what do i need specifically for the Pioneer 1000. For instance I know I need 10 and 12mm, also the steering stem nut is a 19mm. Is there anything thats 14,15,16 or 17mm? What tools are needed on the ball joint?

Take a second to vote if you would please!

The goal of this thread is to provide a precise list of tools one would need to fix their Honda Pioneer on the trail.

I'll continue editing the list below

Sockets:
10mm body bolts
12mm
14mm
17mm Tie rod ends
19mm Steering stem
21mm Tapered lugs
22mm Standard lugs
30mm Axle nut

Wrenches:

1 1/4" open end wrench or crows foot for inner tie rod end.

Allen:
5mm for air box?
5 or 6mm for engine cover panels

Cuoutdoors, I am glad you started this thread. I am planning a trip to Colorado next fall. I had been thinking on what to take as far as repair items. I wonder if you could expand the list to include what a person should carry for going out of state and up into the mountains, Thanks!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cuoutdoors, I am glad you started this thread. I am planning a trip to Colorado next fall. I had been thinking on what to take as far as repair items. I wonder if you could expand the list to include what a person should carry for going out of state and up into the mountains, Thanks!
Yes this has been evolving. I think we will end up with 3 or 4 lists total starting from bare minimum and going up to overland adventures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!