mike from south dakota

M

miked

Nov 5, 2015
Just got home with my 700 2 seater....had a short ride, smelled new as all the external oil and paint burned in.....drove around for 9 mile and am very impressed......but cant understand the tail gate cables...

Reactions: Farmer and Buryit
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know it doesn't sit flat. It bugs the crap out of some people. It never bothered me.

I bought the Honda bed extender and it's made to work with the "not so level" tail gate.

Also, the tailgate isn't the strongest out there so it does flex. That may be why it's got short cables.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Lastly, there is a member here on the forum that sells extended cables. You can also find him on Evilbay

Joe

Reactions: Farmer
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You can get longer ones I got the set on eBay but was very unpleased as the coiled up funny and got in the way of the latches so I went back Hondas bend correctly without any problems I think Honda does this for a reason because people have been complaining since the 700 came out yet it's on the 1000 again. Honda has listened to so many things yet those crappy cables are still on. Must be safety, function, limiting in some way they seem to believe is better maybe I'm making up excuses idk???? Damn them. Nice rig though!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got home with my 700 2 seater....had a short ride, smelled new as all the external oil and paint burned in.....drove around for 9 mile and am very impressed......but cant understand the tail gate cables...

Tailgate flexes when a an average adult (150lbs) sits on it then its level.
Yeah I know an average adult in the US is 200lbs, Honda is a Japanese company and Americans are heavier than ever.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yeah I know an average adult in the US is 200lbs, Honda is a Japanese company and Americans are heavier than ever.

Careful there cowboy this fatboy resembles that comment. :D

All kidding aside I suspect Honda did it to discourage tailgate riders as it isn't comfortable in the OEM position. Lawyers ruining American fun since 1776.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I remember correctly off hand @Farmer is our guy that sells the extended cables for the tailgate.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
And welcome to the Club @miked!! glad to have ya here!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
You can get longer ones I got the set on eBay but was very unpleased as the coiled up funny and got in the way of the latches so I went back Hondas bend correctly without any problems I think Honda does this for a reason because people have been complaining since the 700 came out yet it's on the 1000 again. Honda has listened to so many things yet those crappy cables are still on. Must be safety, function, limiting in some way they seem to believe is better maybe I'm making up excuses idk???? Damn them. Nice rig though!

Yeah, they do have memory from the spool. Try paying attention to the "natural" curve when you put them on. Can't remember which way is best you'll have to tinker. I'm guessing put the curve down or in. If you have it the other way I'd think they would naturally fold up and out causing them to get in the way. Hope this helps.

advertisement
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

It's a weak point all together. I'm afraid to sit on mine because it looks like the cables tabs are going to rip right off the gate. Someone asked me about quick release cables a while back. Hmmmm. I may have to revisit that idea. Then you could just drop the gate and sit right on the bed.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
One thing I thought about doing on the 700 that I probably will do on the 1000 is fill the gate with expanding foam. I know it sounds weird but anytime you fill something hollow it makes it unbelievably strong. I did it to the tailgate in my truck, any voids whatsoever in my bus and many other things. For something like the pioneer gate you'd have to use a low expansion foam. I will do as few holes as possible wait till it dries shave it good and use a window urethane to cover holes. Idk I'll get back at a later date with results

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

And another idea is to make sure the loops aren't binding. Lube em up. Or add/remove washers. I'm glad I found your post as you were the 1st one with complaints.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well maybe I'll try another set on the 1000 I just wasn't super pleased with the 700 set I had to keep getting them out of the latch area on that rig. We did mess with the washers but I don't believe we turned them around but both were like that and honestly I'd only have a 25% chance of getting both backwards but I guess it could've been one of those days. I hope they will work because I absolutely can't stand the cables being too short its sometimes the littlest stupid things that annoy me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!