Misc comments & review

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this forum for a while, but haven't taken the time to post anything yet. To my defence, I was browsing with Tapatalk, which doesn't allow registering within the app.

So here it is, my first post, I'll say a few words about my experience with the pioneer.

I've been a proud owner for a good 2 months now, and the bottom line is that I love the Pioneer, very much so!,

I will be using it mostly for trail riding and some work. I was heavily considering the ranger crew, even made an offer on one, but as soon as I saw the Pioneer, it was a done deal.

I also purchased the hard roof and half windshield.

Let's start with tires. I ride mostly rocky trails, and at first I found the ride to be much harder than I would like it. I eventually lowered the tire pressure to 7 psi on all 4 tires and the ride was much smoother!! at the expense of some softness in handling. Oh, ... and I bent a rear rim plus got a flat tire shortly after. I then spent a lot ( A LOT) of time searching for new tires. The Maxxis bighorn 2.0 seemed very interesting, but their load rating is too low, unless you go in the 28" size. I also later found out there is a 27" size available through BRP, although I haven't looked into those much. I ended up with a set of 26" Maxxis VIPR. Made for SxS, high load rating, radial, same weight as stock (yep, same same, I weighed them side by side ( no PUN intended :D )), plus gear ratio is important to me. I wanted minimal impact on acceleration. My impressions? So far they look great on the ride. I was concerned with the width, but Impact was minimal. I am just under 62" in the rear, with 12x7 ( 5-2) rims at all 4s. Ride impressions will come later. I just installed the tires. It is a fridgid -27C day today and the wife has locked my in (too cold for my daughter to come along).

Hard roof : Love it, easy to install and remove, but I found the cabin to be much louder with the roof on. Noise resonates and we have to yell whenever over 1/2 throttle.

Half windshield : does a very good job at deflecting air over hands, body and head. I like the feel of being exposed to the elements, but still getting some protection. It also does not impact vision when it gets dirty, as a full windshield would.

Only problem I've had so far is a defective 12V outlet. I will take that over any mechanical failure all day long.

Power : sometimes wish there were a few move ponies on open trails and when cornering, but fully satisfied most of the time. Other than some steep hills, I can't drive full throttle for very long before I gain too much speed on the trails.

Work: Been pulling a homemade wooden trailer and cutting down trees in the forest. Unit performed flawlessly.

Suspension: I wish the tool to adjust the rear suspension came with the unit. The dealer tool is $100, but it is overkill. It is an adjustable tool that will fit many sizes. I only need a $20 version that will fit the Pioneer. Have not found one yet. I assume lowering the suspension setting in the rear will improve softness slightly.

Just like everyone else, I wish there was more storage space. Although most of the time I simply strap a bag in the cargo bed or even throw stuff in there and go ride.

Lighting is adequate. Some lights higher up would help see over large bumps in full darkness, but otherwise I do not feel I need more. I may change the bulbs for whiter, brighter bulbs if I can find some.

That's probably enough for now. Thanks for reading!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Re: Misc comments & review

Welcome Chuck,
I'm on tapa talk too. Works well. Glad you found us here and finally joined. Lots of info and friendly members to help with any issues you have.
What wheel did you get? You said 12x7 but not what kind. Love to see them if U ever have time. You can post pics straight from tapa.
Also. Does it measure 63 in the front?
The weird size Honda wheels making it hard to line them up.

I used a big pair of channel locks to turns shocks a notch. Just be careful not to let it slip.

Anyways.
Welcome. if you have any questions please let us know.
Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to membership, I think you could have written my review for me, Each new review I read sound the same, there doesn't seem to be a lot of statistical outliers and it reinforces that I made the right choice. I was looking at the Ranger Crew and ended up with the Pioneer, 2months ago today actually. Reach out if you need any help or have questions.

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
I got black ITP steel rims. Aluminium is lighter but you need more of it. Also, since any weight saving is near the center of rotation, performance gains are a wash. As for looks, I don't give it a lot of value riding alone in the woods. Steelies are cheaper/stronger/easier to repair.

I measured the front at 62", maybe 62 1/2".

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!