My Pioneer review.....

S

supe

Dec 11, 2013
Alabama
Got my P2 3 weeks ago & now have 75 mi on it. 1st Honda I've had since the mid 90's. I let the flashiness of others: ie Yam Griz, Kawa Prairie, Pol Ranger lure me away for a few yrs. Good machines, but didn't seem to last as long as I thought they should. Meanwhile, my hunting buddies were still riding their late 80's, early 90's Honda's because they simply would not die. I have some friends that have a large cattle farm. Honda should do a documentary on what these guys do w/ their old Honda's. It is unreal.

When I decided to get a sxs 4 yrs ago I gave the Big Red a look. Didn't like it. Mainly because of the looks. I thought the Polaris Ranger (PR) was worlds better @ the time, so I bought an 800xp. I'm not going to bash PR because it was a good machine for me. I had always worried about the durability of the PR over the long haul. When it got about 3700 mi on it, it started having some problems & I had to make the decision to spend some $ & fix some things or just get something new.

The Pioneer came about this time. Thanks to the reviews on this site & the better $ of the P2, I made the move. I will be comparing my P2 to my old PR since it's the only sxs I have experience with. I use mine to hunt & work on my small farm. I don't take mine to the mud bogs or try to swim rivers w/ it. I got it @ Pensacola Motorsports & can't say enough good things about them. They were also the only dealer that had 1 within 200 mi of me. These are the 1st things I noticed.

Quality. When you sit down you feel like you are in a well built machine. P2 seems smaller than the PR. There seemed to be a noticeable amount of room left on the trailer after I loaded it. It also seems to sit higher @ seat level that the PR. It is quieter than the PR, both engine & especially the transmission. No more high rpm belt whine. I have had friends tell me this also. PR rides better, but P2 is not a bad ride @ all. I haven't checked the shock settings or even the air in the tires. Changing these might equal out the ride. P2 seems to get much better gas mileage than PR & should get better over the coming weeks.

P2 engine is much lower powered than PR. 36hp vs 55hp. P2 will not have that "seat of the pants, blow your hat off" type of acceleration as the PR. That doesn't mean the P2 is weak though. Haven't really loaded it down yet or pulled a real heavy load, but I have no doubt it will handle what I want it to do. Best way I can describe it is it is a "torquey" machine. Best woods/mud truck I was ever in was a 1976 F-250 w/ a straight 6, 38" buckshots, & 4 speed granny low. Not a strong truck @ all hp-wise, but was about unstoppable w/ the right transmission. Kind of reminds me of the P2. Not a ton of hp, but it will go w/ the transmission setup. It seems to be what makes it work. Love it.

Shifts quietly, smoothly, & @ the right time. Engine braking is good also. P2 seems to hook up quicker than PR. No spooling up. You touch the gas & you are moving. There is a sweet spot in the gas pedal where it seems you can hold the shift points out longer. One more gear would make this setup out of this world. I haven't climbed any mountains, but have been up some good hills & it did fine. Haven't been throught any deep deep soupy stuff, but have been in the mud & it did fine. 1st time I crossed a steep creek I was disappointed. 2nd time I crossed it I paid more attention & noticed that I was barely giving it any gas & it just creeped on up w/ no problem. I guess that old high rpm of the PR had me thrown off because it climbed it as well as the PR.

The gear shifter is bass ackwards from the PR & has taken some getting used to. Fastest I've had the P2 is 40 mph, but had plenty of pedal left. Most people are saying 45 is top speed though. PR will probably beat P2 in a sprint, but I can live w/ that. Steering is not a problem in 2 or 4wd, but you better have both hands on the wheel w/ the diff locked. It has only 1 direction it wants to go & that is straight. I really haven't needed to put it in that mode so it hasn't been a problem. Power steering would be nice for that.

P2 will turf up your yard, unlike the 1wd mode on the PR. I live in a pasture so it doesn't bother me, but I can see where it might be an issue for some. I love the doors. Dogs jumping in & out of the PR ruined my seat, so the doors should eliminate that on the P2. Really really miss the tilt steering of the PR bad. Not that it's hard getting in the P2, but it would be nice to have, especially when you have tons of hunting clothes on. PR had more leg room. I'm 6'1" 235lbs. I'm not cramped or uncomfortable by any means, but a little more leg room would be nice.

Really miss the storage under the dash on the PR. I will be getting one of the storage bags for the rear rack asap. I will also be getting 1 of the switch brackets asap. It looks good & will get rid of some of that God awful safety warning space. P2 seat is very comfortable & seems easier to remove than the PR. P2 has an intermittent bed rattle & squeak. Latch probably needs adjusting. Other than that it is rattle free. CV boot/a-arm guards are small & will need upgrading quickly. The tires grip well & ride smooth, but I have read accounts where several have been punctured by sticks due to being 4 ply. My biggest gripe is that the tires, especially the front, stick out past the fender wells & will coat you, the cab, the bed, everything in mud. I don't mind that goofing off in the summer, but don't want it in the winter. I don't have a windshield or roof yet, so they will remedy some of that. If there is a fender flare kit offered, I will be buying. I haven't read anyone else complaining of this, so maybe it's just the type of red clay mud I'm in. The kind you're not gonna get stuck in, but you will clean out both ditches.

Overall, I'm very pleased. Adequate power, awesome transmission, good steering, great looks, & HONDA QUALITY!
I do wish it had tilt steering, more leg room, more cab storage, better a-arm protection, 1 more gear & fender flares. If you are wanting to run 70mph this is not your machine. If you want a quality machine that will last, this is it. This is the most I have ever typed, but I hope it will help someone w/ their decision. I know the 1's you guys gave helped me. 10k is a lot of $ to me. Glad I made the right decision. God bless!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Woooohhh. long post there supe...
Sorry, But I got to edit it and add some breaks. ;-) Hope you dont mine!

Ok. Welcome to the HondaSxS community. You did a great job reviewing it compared to your PR. Ya, you loose a few fun points with speed but you gain it back double time in reliability. Just think, You are rubber-band free. woo hoo.

Your last statement hit about everything on the list.
Thanks for sharing.
Look forward to your post.

S

supe

Dec 11, 2013
Alabama
Yeah, kinda got a little carried away there. Probably could have just summed it up in the last paragraph, but couldn't sleep last night.

I

illuminati

Nov 9, 2013
Awesome review!! that made me want to buy another one :)

bbnelson

bbnelson

Dec 20, 2013
Looking for HP/PR comparison.....thanks...well done. Good friend let me use his PR during bear season...really enjoyed it and I'm now ready to buy. Have both Honda and Polaris dealers here in Cumberland, Maryland so we'll start from there. Really like the Honda-4 and the quality and history surrounding the Honda brand, so my wife and I are leaning that way.....will see what the dealers have to say next week....this is gonna be fun!

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
bbnelson said:
Looking for HP/PR comparison.....thanks...well done. Good friend let me use his PR during bear season...really enjoyed it and I'm now ready to buy. Have both Honda and Polaris dealers here in Cumberland, Maryland so we'll start from there. Really like the Honda-4 and the quality and history surrounding the Honda brand, so my wife and I are leaning that way.....will see what the dealers have to say next week....this is gonna be fun!

The best thing to do is drive one of each and remember a dealer will be more inclined to push whichever machine will help his business more , not neccessarily the one that would suit you best. My first thought after riding the HP was that hunters are going to love this thing. I can see an exodus from alot of the ranger crowd moving toward the HP pretty soon . They both have a large bed and both can handle alot of weight but the honda will do it smoother and quieter, plus they will no longer have to worry about replacing broke belts all the time. When i bought mine , there were 3 more left in the dealer showroom. There were also alot of different polaris models lined up beside them. I went back 4 days later to get a few oil filters and they were loading the last honda they had on a customers trailer and not one of the polaris's had been sold. I have never been a fan of the PR so maybe my thinking is a little biased so hop on them both and see what you think, after all thats the only thing that will matter .

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
adnoh said:
bbnelson said:

The best thing to do is drive one of each and remember a dealer will be more inclined to push whichever machine will help his business more , not neccessarily the one that would suit you best. My first thought after riding the HP was that hunters are going to love this thing. I can see an exodus from alot of the ranger crowd moving toward the HP pretty soon . They both have a large bed and both can handle alot of weight but the honda will do it smoother and quieter, plus they will no longer have to worry about replacing broke belts all the time. When i bought mine , there were 3 more left in the dealer showroom. There were also alot of different polaris models lined up beside them. I went back 4 days later to get a few oil filters and they were loading the last honda they had on a customers trailer and not one of the polaris's had been sold. I have never been a fan of the PR so maybe my thinking is a little biased so hop on them both and see what you think, after all thats the only thing that will matter .

+1

advertisement
T

tractordr

Jan 1, 2014
Great review on the Pioneer. I've been lurking around several sites and seeing similar responses as yours. I am very interested in a Pioneer and have been leaning to the P2. I rarely haul people and think the extra $$ and toting around that extra weight for the 1x per year usage just isn't practical for my needs. If I reallyl need to haul people to our mountain campsite I have a 1999 Honda Recon and a 2012 Honda Rancher 4x4 for that...or so my 11 year old son pointed that out to me.

Again very nice review, thanks!

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
I, my hunting buddy and his son all have Honda 300 FourTrax which may last forever. My son wanted to sell mine and his Yama 350 and get the p4. I agreed then started talking with people who used to have a 300. Many wished they still had theirs due to belt problems on their SxS. We bought the p4 but I kept my 300 because I did not think anything would be as good traveling in forestry debris...limbs on the ground. I WAS WRONG. THE P4 IS MUCH BETTER THAN MY 300. Now, what do I do with the 300, the best 4-wheeler ever built?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Museum piece, doomsday ride(non efi), coffee table conversation piece, or just keep using it till twinkles rot

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!