P500 Mobile 1 75w140 syn gear oil

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
I’m planning to change diff oil on first service. You all have me thinking maybe what dealer sold me for it isn’t what I want to throw in it.
08A0E114 AF8F 4D2A A221 9365528C8195

2E4E290C 54E5 4369 85ED 76EA28973268

The gear whine on the new P520 sure is loud. It seems most noticeable in fifth, which may just be because engine isn’t usually so loud at the speeds and terrain (flat/downhill) I run in fifth at. Losing even half the gear whine would make it sound a lot better.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I'm doing my first service this week...was planning on using the Honda GN4 10w30 oil-wise , but was wondering if you guys think its worth it to also do the diffs with the 75/140 on the first service? If there is a noticeable difference thinking I should maybe just do it now...
I would recommend it. Keep in mind I'm just a guy and learning not a tech. That being said after experiencing how much quieter the driveline is after I changed to 75 140 I wish I would have done it on my first service. I was able to get it all changed out with 1qt. I did buy a hand pump that screws on the top of the quart bottle and it took about an hour. I recommend getting the pump if you don't have one already. When filling you can use the flexible hose to get past the ring gear visible right inside the filler port. It's a quick job but I wanted to let the differential drain for a long time to get as much of the old oil out as I could. All in all with the purchase of the pump I was around $30.00. Post your findings if you chose to switch to 75 140. I'd like to see what you think.

Last edited:
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I would recommend it. Keep in mind I'm just a guy and learning not a tech. That being said after experiencing how much quieter the driveline is after I changed to 75 140 I wish I would have done it on my first service. I was able to get it all changed out with 1qt. I did buy a hand pump that screws on the top of the quart bottle and it took about an hour. I recommend getting the pump if you don't have one already. When filling you can use the flexible hose to get past the ring gear visible right inside the filler port. It's a quick job but I wanted to let the differential drain for a long time to get as much of the old oil out as I could. All in all with the purchase of the pump I was around $30.00. Post your findings if you chose to switch to 75 140. I'd like to see what you think.
I'm jumping on the hype train - I've got a quart of the RP 75/140 coming, so I'm just gonna switch the front/rear fluid with the first oil change. Good idea about the pump, I might have to grab one. I've got the same flotool hose that Rob had posted in his last post so going to see if that works first.

Thanks!

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Got done doing the first service...oil was pretty clean, but I couldnt believe the metal shavings in the diff fluid. Was skeptical changing the fluids only after 85 miles, but made me a believer in the break-in maintenance and switching over to the 75/140...

PXL 20210829 155229086

K

kenner

Jul 27, 2014
Ams Oil 75/140 extreme duty gear oil is great as well, I have used it in the past on other SXS's.
kenner

Reactions: crewcabrob
KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just drained and filled both differentials with Mobil 1 75w-140 lube. Easy job using a quart bottle pump from Amazon. Only issue, and not really a problem, was the Honda OEM skid plate in front was factory installed up side down. After removing about 8-9 bolts the skid was positioned so the drain hole for the front diff was aligned with the drain on the diff. Yeah i did the front drain and fill with the skid off, way easier then through draining hole in the skid. There was very little metal particles in the factory OEM gear fluid when drained and a test sample placed on a clean white rag (all very scientific I must say). This was expected, as would be from any new vehicle breaking in. The Mobil 1 75w-140 is suitable for all hypoid gear cases, has GL-4 and GL-5 cert., and runs about $25.00 at the local parts store.

After a test drive it was noticeable that the diffs were smoother and some what less noisey. Our 700 has about 430 miles on it. So all in all I'm happy with the result and figure going forward it's all for the better with the differentials.

Last edited:
RLC59

RLC59

Feb 8, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
Multi-grade gear oils -
Viscosity of such gear oils is specified at both high and low temperature. These oils are called multigrades and they are designated by two numbers and the letter “W” (SAE 75W-90, SAE 80W-90, SAE 85W-140 etc.). The first number of the designation specify the oil viscosity at cold temperature, the second number specifies the oil viscosity at high temperature.
For example: SAE 85W-140 oil has a low temperature viscosity similar to that of SAE 85W, but it has a high temperature viscosity similar to that of SAE 140.
Multigrade gear oils are used in a wide temperature range.

found here: Gear oils [SubsTech]

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just wondering if anyone has tried this stuff? Just saw it on Amazon. Seems to have pretty good reviews. Or is it just another snake oil product?

Reactions: CID and Smittyp
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just going to do my differentials today on my P1k3 at just over 600 miles. I will be using Mobil1 synthetic 75/140. I do not plan to use the buggy during the winter months so the thicker stuff should be fine I think.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just going to do my differentials today on my P1k3 at just over 600 miles. I will be using Mobil1 synthetic 75/140. I do not plan to use the buggy during the winter months so the thicker stuff should be fine I think.
You're good anyway. Been running that in my diffs since new and I plow all winter.

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I've been using 75w140 in my Pioneer 500 and also used it in the transmissions on my Harleys. No issues with any of them during the winter. I was one of them crazy people that would ride my motorcycle all year round. I would ride in 20 degree weather as long as there was no snow or ice on the roads.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!