P1000 More Second Battery ?s

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1) I installed a second battery and a True Smart Isolator onto my 1000-5. Now my question is what happens when the winch maxes out and tires to draw 315 amps from the system with the engine running? The isolator would be closed I think and the two batteries should be connected in parallel. The isolator is rated for 140 amps continuous, 170 amps peak. Isn't the isolator at risk of exceeding its current rating? Is this the reason to run separate cables from the aux battery, one directly to the winch and one directly to the isolator, to minimize this risk?

2) I am thinking that if my main battery fails, I can bypass the isolator and start the engine using the aux battery. I think I should also disconnect the negative terminal from the main battery before trying to start the engine so that the main battery is completely bypassed. Is this correct?

Final

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great questions.
1 - Your concern is very valid with your layout because I know you are using the factory "blue tape" ground as the winch ground.
Let's discuss wire-wiring your winch to eliminate that and isolate the circuit to the second battery.
To eliminate that concern, you should wire the winch direct to the second battery. both positive and negative.
This will force the full circuit loop for the winch on that battery only. If you use the factory ground wire you are passing the current through the entire system back to the second battery. While this is fine on a single battery setup, it's no for a dual battery setup as it imposes unnecessary loads.

2- To jump the isolator just make a short 8" large gauge wire with eyelits and put it in your glove box. That way you can bypass the isolator and connect the second battery to the primary. This is useful if you left your key on and ran the primary dead.
Or pack a wrench and just unscrew one side of the isolator and hold it to the other while someone cranks it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Looking again, and at your other post.
It looks like you have 2 ground wires at your winch.
1 to the second battery and 1 to the factory ground.

This makes it hard to give you an answer on the "circuit loop".
Power takes the path of least resistance.
I would assume it's direct to the second battery but with the isolator feeding, it could split it.
If this happens, then you are back to your original question of how much load is passing through the isolator.
I still don't think it would be too much.
Making that change would eliminate that concern.

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking again, and at your other post.
It looks like you have 2 ground wires at your winch.
1 to the second battery and 1 to the factory ground.

This makes it hard to give you an answer on the "circuit loop".
Power takes the path of least resistance.
I would assume it's direct to the second battery but with the isolator feeding, it could split it.
If this happens, then you are back to your original question of how much load is passing through the isolator.
I still don't think it would be too much.
Making that change would eliminate that concern.

OK. I have moved the "blue tape" common ground directly to the aux battery.

Thanks for the replies. From your reply, I think it is unlikely that the current across the isolator will exceed 140 amps continuous when the winch is on. However, electrical circuits are definitely NOT my strength.. I appreciate everyone's patience here with my questions!

Final2

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB